Agnostic.com

7 6

QUESTION Evangelicals Are Losing the Battle for the Bible. And They’re Just Fine with That. - Los Angeles Review of Books

"To the dismay of conservative leaders, views like Hamilton’s are gaining ground. Just one in five of all Americans — and only 13 percent of those under age 30 — currently believes that “the Bible is the actual word of God and should be taken literally, word for word,” according to the American Bible Society..."

"Last year’s most important religion-related publication might well turn out to have been the Pew Forum’s 2015 Religious Landscape Study, a comprehensive survey of the nation’s religiosity that found a startling 5-million drop in the number of American Christians since 2007. The number of evangelicals rose by 2.4 million, but the increase was not enough to keep pace with overall population growth."

"Among millennials, the youngest age cohort surveyed by Pew, just one-fifth are evangelical, compared to 35 percent professing no religion at all."

After high school seems to be the critical point at which people decide their religious/non-religious future.

SteveB 7 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I'm quite happy with the decline of America's Evangelicals, the next big battle with the religious people and religious crazies in the rest of the world and how to do deal with the Muslims. This is only just starting.....

twill Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

@SteveB No sure bets on how this all turns out

So, the evangelicals are just doing what many xtians have always done, "cherry picking". No real surprise there, it just seems that more of them are doing it consciously, with awareness of what they're doing. I guess that's the first step in realizing that except as a historical document with some poetic passages, the bible is no way to live one's life.

It's funny how all of the denominations I've attended so far have only one clear reverberating message: let's pray that others receive the message we have heard.

Not in those specific words but in prayer and choice is sermon and underlying repetitive message.

They're all right, just inside their own walls, and they cannot have preachers from their congregation be guest preachers at different denominations - while ALL claiming to be christians and/or children of god. At least one pastor has told me they cannot because of difference of doctrine. Isn't that funny?

The comments below the article show that a lot of evangelicals don't agree with Zimmermann's view of the Bible. If they're that hard nosed their views just might spawn a bunch more atheists among the young folks.

gearl Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

The problem in the US is that a relatively small group of evangelical Christians are speaking with a disproportionately loud voice. I used to think that Christianity as an influential force in American civic governance was in its death rattle (early in the GW Busch years). Remember that a ton of them were thrown out of appointed office in disgrace? But this minority seems to be, dangerously, more influential today than even back then. I think it may be time for people like us who believe in getting Christian and especially evangelical thinking out of our civic governance to start making our presence and voices better known in the main stream political discourse.

Have you seen this article?
[judymorrisreport.blogspot.com]

@Harleyman oh right

New interpretations of the Book for questioning millenials?

Religion is dying out

And ad far as I am concerned, it cannot die out fast enough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.