Agnostic.com

18 0

If you are vegan/vegetarian, is it important that your partner is too?

I know everyone is different, but would you (a presumed vegetarian/vegan), be open to dating someone who eats meat? Or is that a deal breaker?

• 13 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 9 votes
DylPickle 3 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I prefer someone whose ethics and compassion levels line up with my own.

Shouldn't be a problem for anyone unless they are particularly offended by meat eating, but its not your business. I don't eat meat, and the worst experience is the evangelical vegetarian or vegan foisting their views on another lunch guest. I'd rather lunch with a 'waiting for the rapture' Christian.

Yes, i couldnt see myself in a relationship with someone who at least wasnt vegetarian. Theyre more likely to have heart issues,diabetes,etc. Not to mention not caring about the suffering and horrible abuse the animals go through,and not caring about the environment.
I just couldnt.

As a meat eater, I gave up trying to date ladies who are vegetarian or vegan. The constant disagreement about what to eat, where to go out to, where to order from, etc. Not worth it.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone else eats. If sharing a home/kitchen, it would be far easier to have a similar diet, but otherwise it doesn't make much difference to me.

I eat mostly whole food plant based for health reasons, rather than ethical ones. I've reversed my diabetes with no medication & have had no more symptoms of heart disease since I made the switch. I think it would be much simpler for me to date a vegan, a vegetarian, or more preferably someone who also eats wfpb, but it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

Maybe ask if we even want a food police in our life.

In the last foster home I was in, the mother was a vegan - the father loved his burgers and fried egg sandwiches. Neither of them forced their diet choices on the other or their children. They had a simple deal - when she was able to be home and it was her turn to cook for the family - the meal was vegan. When he was able to be home and it was his turn to cook - the meal most likely contained meat. Because of their busy schedules it was rare during the weekdays that they were home for supper at the same time. When neither was home it was my turn to cook and I did a combination of the two diet styles. When they had a couples night out - the father never ordered a meat dish - it was his way of showing respect to his wife. They've been married for 52-years, they're in their middle 70's and both have never been seriously sick. When weather permits he does his daily 5-mile hikes and she jumps rope for 30 to 45 minutes each morning. And in the evening they both enjoy having a couple of beers together as they discuss the kind of day they had. They compromised, they didn't let ego prevent them from having a wonderful relationship and raising a wonderful family. "Me me me" was never part of their vocabulary. I was fortunate to have witnessed this and carry it over to my near 30-year marriage.

In the past it didn’t bother me if the other person was an omni. Now, I would not be able to eat with them at the same table. If they want meat dishes they will have to cook them themselves. I cook only vegan dishes. They are welcome to eat what I cook or they can make something else. Normally I don’t eat at a formal dining table to eat anyway.

People don't understand how distressing it is to be at a table where someone is literally eating a dead body.

@SkotlandSkye Yes exactly. The prospect of sitting down at dinner with people gorging on dead animals gives me great anxiety. It’s not about being sanctimonious about my way of eating. It’s all about my compassion for animals and love of the planet.

If another is a carnivore it might not be a problem but the ground rules are that no meat can be cooked in the house. The person would also have to be open minded and be willing to look at becomeing a vegetarian.

The only meat I can't stand cooking in the house is bacon. The smell literally makes me feel queasy and gives me a headache, and its odor lingers for days. Pretty much everything else is fine for me, though.

@resserts I have found meat is meat (and that includes human). It all smells the same when cooking especially frying.

@JackPedigo I won't eat any meat, but the smell of frying bacon actually turns my stomach and makes me feel ill. That wasn't the case until I became a vegetarian, though. I don't get the same sick feeling from the smell of other meats, though (and still really like the smell of barbequed chicken) — but I've never smelled human flesh cooking, so I can't say for sure in that regard. ?

@resserts Reminds me of the film "Fried Green Tomatoes". I bet the barbecued villain smelled great. It's all in the mind.

I would love to have a relationship with someone who I can cook for and who will be open to trying new things. I hate eating alone and love to cook. Vegetarian. Not vegan but open to that. Seems difficult to fit in, especially when my family wants to go out to eat.

Personally I'm open to meet someone who eats meat but if it's about to get married I would like that person to be vegetarian as I am and the health to be an value in his life as it's in my life.

It would be nice if she had the same dietary lifestyle as myself, but I'm open to dating someone who eats meat as long as she's not an asshole about me being a vegetarian.

I've been a strict vegetarian for 95% of the last 45+ years, it never made a difference before and won't into any future that i can see. Like religion, another's food-related life choices are not my business; so as long as she doesn't try to convert me, we won't have a problem.

I would prefer that they were vegetarian or vegan.

I’m not ethically vegetarian, but due to stomach issues(gastroparesis), I eat very little meat. In fact, I eat very little solid food. As long as my partner does not mind me eating whatever my system can tolerate on a given day, I can accept their diet. Not a problem.

I don't have the luxury of being choosy about such things

Not at first. I'll date an omni. I won't, however, have a relationship with someone who isn't at least vegetarian.

If I can't help enlighten them, then it wasn't meant to be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.