Agnostic.com

19 3

What is the most petty reason you have cut someone off?

Friend, partner, spouse, work acquaintance, or anything in between; what are the silliest, oddest, or pettiest reasons you have stopped talking to someone?

MikeMike 5 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two, I didn't think them petty. One guy wondered why I accepted the liberal ideas of evolution, another thought that Hitler was the good guy in WWII. Both seemed to think that science is a liberal conspiricy.

As far as l can recall, it has always been for a serious reason.

I may have cut people off for reasons they don't understand and therefore would seem petty to them, but to me - my reasons are not petty. And I think that's true for most people. We don't know what other people have been through and what things might be truly disturbing to them. If we aren't sensitive to the fact that those things could exist - we run the risk of someone cutting us off for what seems to us to be a "petty" reason. It also helps to be able to discuss your reasons with the other person before "cutting off" a relationship, but sometimes feelings are just too strong to be able to make the attempt sadly.

Back when I had little free time I'd cut people off all the time for silly shit. But now I don't cut anyone off. In fact - I make sure to befriend those I think are being cut off by others. So I think social factors change a lot of it. I agree with the philosophy that simplifying your life will make you a nicer person. It gives you more time to treat people as they truly should be treated.

I stopped chatting with an ex-coworker because he said black cats were evil and that only evil people would ever consider having them in their homes...I have three.

That seems reasonable to me. ☺

wtf! That is CRAZY!!!

@Qualia I wore a cape to work once and the same guy told me I must be a witch...yeah, wtf...

@thinktwice ? what an ass!

@Qualia lol I think as atheists/agnostics...or if we are "different" in any way, there will be a lot of assholes in our lives...unfortunately, we have to deal with it in all the ways we can...like cutting them loose!

Anytime I've ever cut someone out of my life, it has never been for a "petty" reason.
Stealing from me, betraying me, lying to me, deliberately causing harm to me or anyone/thing else, none of those are petty reasons.
If I cut you off, it's because you're a piece of shit and deserve it.
Ain't nothing "petty" about it.

❤

I couldn't continue to date someone who was stupid enough to believe OJ didn't do it. At that time even a Pentecost fundamentalist looked sexier.

My reasons would never be petty, they could just appear so to other people!

I have never cut somebody out of my life for a petty reason. Well, not anybody that I previously truly loved anyway. I recently ended contact with my best friend because I was put in what I call “time out” for the third time. When she finally contacted me after two months of the time out, I told her that kind of behavior from my best friend was toxic and it simply does not work in my life.

Her troubled daughter had gotten a DUI at 17. Two years later she was able to drive again. She drove her mom’s expensive Jeep drunk three times.

When she got a ticket doing 109 miles an hour, my best friend’s coworker said that she hoped that the daughter would do jail time.

She screenshotted the conversation to me and wanted me to agree that the coworker was insensitive. I said that I didn’t know the coworker, her level of closeness with her, or whether she had kids of her own, but that I did not think she was intentionally being insensitive.

She said that she would never say something like that to a friend. I said that I would expect my friend to be honest with me if I was willing to share and seek feedback.

I ended with reiterating that I thought her coworker friend was not trying to hurt her feelings, but that I also hoped both she and her daughter found their bottom soon—before the daughter killed herself or other people.

For saying that, I guess I was deemed an unworthy friend again and she stopped communicating. That was the third time in the last several years and I just don’t have room for it.

The door is not permanently sealed, but it would take her accepting accountability for her unreasonable expectations of me and others when it comes to being honest with feedback and communication, even when she feels pinched.

My Friendships are Not Petty.

I get super anxious if someone is late to something or stands me up. It's related to a severe trauma...and the anxiety it causes can actually send me into a panic attack.

As a result, I'm always 15+ minutes early to everything and I am always where I say I'll be come hell or highwater.

I have never called in sick to work....I've never been late for anything, like EVER. I even had perfect attendance in college and didn't even miss a class when I broke my jaw.
My friends joke that if I were actually late...they would just assume I was dead.

Anyhow, I had a friend who stood me up twice in one week (once for hiking --she "overslept" and once for meeting to try out a new recipe she "forgot" )....both of these pretty much sent me into a panic ---- and, when I expressed to her later about my anxiety and how I felt when she just blew off showing up on time, she literally laughed in my face.

I haven't spoken to her since. It's not petty to me....but I have heard through the grapevine that she makes fun of my "anxiety" now to mutual acquaintances.

Disrespect...
That's mostly it!

I never cut people off for petty reasons. I put up with too much crap in reality.

Back in elementary I stopped hanging out with one of my friends because his computer stopped working so I couldn't play Doom any more.

Oh guy I had been dating for a few months told me being a parent isnt hard work. So I broke it off and never spoke to him again

I've once or twice started avoiding people because they've turned out to be whingers whose constant negativity and bemoaning every experience eventually bought me down too much. I don't have the patience for that.

Oh, and for similar reasons, I always distance myself from men who constantly complain about their health... And that's plain sexism on my part, I think — an unenlightened attitude that guys should tough it out and not be moaners. Unfair, I know.

I never consider someone nonexistent for petty reasons. I don't let many people close, so in order for me to consider someone an asshat, they have to do something major.

I was friends with a co-worker for a short time, but quickly realized she was fake. She wanted everyone to think that her life was ALL about her kids. She lied to make herself look like a self-sacrificing mom.

I once had a friend I was going to room with until I heard how loudly and rudely he chewed his food and I backed off the roommate thing and that kind of caused the friendship to fizzle out and we lost contact lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119526
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.