Agnostic.com

28 3

Did you experience Religious Trauma Syndrome in leaving religion?

Dr. Marlene Winell has published about difficult experiences in leaving religion, and she refers to it collectively as Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS). Quoting from [journeyfree.org]:

Symptoms of Religious Trauma Syndrome:

• Cognitive: Confusion, poor critical thinking ability, negative beliefs about self-ability & self-worth, black & white thinking, perfectionism, difficulty with decision-making

• Emotional: Depression, anxiety, anger, grief, loneliness, difficulty with pleasure, loss of meaning

• Social: Loss of social network, family rupture, social awkwardness, sexual difficulty, behind schedule on developmental tasks

• Cultural: Unfamiliarity with secular world; “fish out of water” feelings, difficulty belonging, information gaps (e.g. evolution, modern art, music)

How emotionally difficult/traumatic was your experience in leaving religion, dealing with it, and moving on?

(Select two options: one on difficulty, other on RTS.)

• 1 vote
  • 6 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 25 votes
Rhetoric 7 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I felt liberated when I left religion behind me and little else. Any loneliness I felt was in the fact that a lot of extended family and community ostracized me out of fear their children mine catch what I had> I was 10 at the time and I distinctly remember aunt, parents of friends and adult neighbours preaching, lecturing, chastising me and trying to shame me back into belief. I was fortunate though because my parents supported me in my decision and had little problem in tell them to shut the hell up.

No, I didn't.

Being a spiritualist has given me the opportunity to stay open minded about everything and not judge anyone or anything only seek out more truth spiritually/ supernaturally that's all. I get along with everyone from all Faith's and beliefs and I understand that everyone out there has their own understanding of things. This is why it's easier for me to learn from others and not argue as much with some people at times.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.