Agnostic.com

22 7

You might find this hard going.

There were gods who were worshipped by vast numbers of people. Many are mentioned in the Old Testament with an element of fear. They all used fear and repression. Read to the end.

Resheph Baal Anath Astarte Ashtoreth Hadad El Addu Nergal Shalem Nebo Dagon Ninib Sharrab Melek Yau Ahijah Amon-re Isis Osiris Ptah Sebek Anubus Molech Bile Gwydion Ler Manawyddan Arianrod Nuada-Argetlam Morrigu Tagd Govennon Odin Sokk-mimi Llaw-Gyffes Memetona Lleu Dagda Ogma Kerridwen Mider Pwyll Rigantona Ogyrvan Marzin Dea-dia Mars Ceros Jupiter Vaticanus Cunina Edulia Potina Adeona Statilinus Iuno-Lucina Diana-of-Ephesus Saturn Robigus Furrina Pluto Vediovis Ops Consus Meditrina Cronos Vesta Enki Tilmun Engurra Zer-panitu Belus Merodach Dimmer U-ki Mu-ul-lil Dauke Ubargisi Gasan-abzu Ubilulu Elum Gasan-lil U-tin-dir-ki U-dimmer-an-kia Marduk Enerestu Nin-lal-la U-sab-sib Nin U-mersi Persephone Tammuz Istar Venus Lagas Bau U-urugal Mulu-hursang Sirtumu Anu Ea Beltis Nirig Nusku Nebo Ni-zu Samas Sahi Ma-banba-anna Aa En-mersi Allatu Amurru Sin Assur AbilAddu Aku Apsu Beltu Dagan Dumu-zi-abzu Elali Kuski-banda Isum Kaawanu Mami Nin-azu Nin-man Lugal-amarada Zaraqu Qarradu Suqamuna Ura-gala Zagaga Ueras

Please check this list. They were all gods of the highest standing- gods of civilised people. All were omnipotent, omniscient and immortal.

All are dead.

El-loco 7 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do believe though - that in the modern world, Diana of Ephesus would have included her email address.

All tremble at the approach of Cthulhu!!!!!!

I would say it is not the gods who are dead, but the mythology that created them. Likewise, we are witnessing the death of the mythologies that have supported what has survived as theism in the present day.

I remember only: Baal,Odon, Jupiter,Saturn, Pluto-wait a minute the last 3 are planets. Got a headache reading this post.

It's also hilarious(-ly sad) how Christians still believe in the Buy-Bull despite it describing multiple gods worshipped by the Judeans / Isrealites and their ancestors, and these things are CLEARLY described right there in their own holy book! For example, Baal, Yahweh, and Jehovah are NOT the same god - they are 3 separate gods, whose followers clashed with and hated one another. Yet the Christians and Jews attempt to obscure this fact by disingenuous translations of the buy-bull which attempt to make it look like they're really the same deity (through clever ambiguous phrasing of newer translations, such as the NIV).

And, today, they are not worshiped by anyone. So much for omnipresence.

We are not going to be tested on the names of all these God's are we?

Quetzalcoatl

over 3000 gods but your one is the real one lol

What's your point supposed to be? All gods are dead? Supposed truths change over time?

I believe that the answer is 42.

Also, are any of these Goddesses? We don't want to be sexist here. ??

Well, I've always said a dead God is a good God, especially when it never existed in the first place.

Yeah, I love throwing up the "oh, but YOUR god is real right? - lol" line when people go to say, an anti-Mormon or anti-Islam youtube video and leave a comment to the effect that they totally agree with the video because [insert their wholly babble verse quote here which they believe "proves" that the anti-Mormon video must be right]. Note that I'm the most hardcore anti-Islam critic to ever come down the pike, but still.... gotta call them out when they say their skydaddy book shows why the other side's skydaddy books are wrong.

NOT dead, never were.....????

Theiist!!!

@El-loco i think he was trying to say the Gods are not dead because they never existed in the first place.

Or never existed at all.

Actually, I guess the real point here is one the Atheist activists make, which is that theists choose to believe in one God, blithely ignoring the other 99.99...% of Gods they reject, so that's a 1 in 3,000 bet, or whatever figure you choose, which is ridiculous, and the real difference between a theist and a non theist is we reject 100%, statistically it's not that big a difference. Something like that.

You missed C'thulu and the flying spaghetti monster.....

@SCOTT63 FSM I know, but C'thulu?

H.P. Lovecraft's elder God mythos. It is literary not actual.

How many times I gotta apologise for not putting commas in?

My sincere apologies for not putting commas in. It all looked different when I posted it.

Yes, hundreds of God who don't exist anymore.

It would have been really nice if you would have put commas between the names. I am not familiar with all the old gods, therefore I have no clue where one name ends and another one starts.

Where’s tiwaz?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12113
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.