Agnostic.com

7 1

Do you believe in Santa Claus?

I knew at the age of 3 or 4 that Santa was a lie, as I kissed my fathers plastic Santa face. He went out of his way to dress as Santa Claus, and I appreciated it. That was great! but it did alert me! We used to put out cookies and buttermilk (I was in Denmark at the time). And in the morning the cookies were gone! eaten! woaaa!

• 0 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
ripcurldane 7 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really but as soon as I get grand-children I am going to change my mind (I think) LOL

Even as a small child I was never able to force myself to believe that Santa Claus existed!

Yes, I believe in Santa... or rather the "idea" of Santa. Just like I believe in the idea of Harry Potter and the concept of the gods.

Beliefs are created in the absence of facts and data, so the only way we'll ever experience Santa, or magic, or time travel... is to "believe. That belief allows us to revel in those stories, while at the same time learning from them metaphorically.

As a writer, I write about demons, ghosts, vampires... all imaginary creatures. I know they're imaginary, but I "believe" in the stories. That's what stories are for, and it's why we create them.

Santa is totally real! He buys me stuff on Amazon anytime I have more than 2 glasses of wine!

Wine - the gift that keeps on giving 🙂

I believe in wonderment and good illusion. If a child believes this. Then I'll play along. I believe in love and charity.

A child only believes it because an adult told them it is true. My issue is that eventually the child (or later as an adult) will realise that they were lied to as a child. Personally I didn't like the feeling that gave me. I guess everyone has a different reaction to it when they finally learn the truth. Maybe I need therapy.

@ripcurldane. I didn't like it either but it was nice when I did.

@ripcurldane. You don't need therapy...

I don't believe in him as an actual being, though he is based on a real life person who lived at one point. I believe in the "magic" that the idea brings to the holiday season and I do, and will continue to allow my kids to believe as long as they can.

There was a historical St. Nicholas and he really gave out presents. I always found it hysterical, since Clement Moore, that American Christianity countenanced and condoned telling children that there were elves and flying reindeer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.