Agnostic.com

20 2

What is god?

My friend that teaches catholic school asked me what I believe in and I said love and she said I believe god is love and so she said we believe in the same thing. When people are talking about believing or not believing in god, how are they defining god?

thinkwithme 7 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If God was love (and real), there wouldn't be Evangelicals and Fundamentalists. Radicals wouldn't harm innocent people because their ideology isn't the same. Donald Trump would never have even been CONSIDERED, let alone elected President. Men like Roy Moore would not be allowed to proudly proclaim their love of "God." Paul Ryan would be deposed for his antagonism toward those who suffer. BUT... that's if God was love.

Everything would be controlled because the all knowing all loving would be making all the decisions for us...but then we wouldnt be humans would we? If we didnt learn on our own through our experiences?

An invisible idea of humans with what is said to have great power but forgives rather easily!

Each and every person is unique in the idea of "god" that they claim to believe! They seem to believe in what they are told to believe without question!! Stupid followers!!

A primitive attempt to explain the universe.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

Would your teacher friend be equally comfortable with the proposition that love is god?

The experience of caring for others and feeling cared for has profound influence over us. Love one another has been called the golden rule of Christianity. I once had a teacher in Catholic school say to me, if that is all you understand, then you understand. Of course a lot of people have different takes on what Christianity is and use to bible to suggest a lot of things that don't have logic or reason. Happiness though, while subjective, I think relates to most as something we wish to achieve. I've read that people who volunteer, engage in charitable acts, tend to report themselves happier and healthier than other who do not. That I believe counts as some social science research lending to the idea that love one another is the way to free yourself into a more pleasant state of being. Whether you call it god or simply the way it is.. what do they say, that god is the truth and the way? We don't have to agree on everything to agree on a kernal of truth. Scientists are looking for truth and a way of getting to it anyway, so there is a lot of common ground in this.

Our ignorance.

“No one infers a god from the simple, from the known, from what is understood, but from the complex, from the unknown, and incomprehensible. Our ignorance is God; what we know is science.” ? Robert G. Ingersoll

Interesting thank you

dog backwards.

A figment of imagination.

An idea!! Figment of believers of the 'invisible guy in the sky' imaginations! Dont get me wrong the human brain is crazy powerful and we may never know its capabilities

“God is a concept by which we measure our pain.”
—John Lennon

I'd say your friend was being disingenuous in her response. The "God is love" remark, while poetic in a cheap greeting card sort of way, has little to do with Catholic theology in any meaningful sense. They don't believe that God is an impersonal emotion; they believe in a personal, omnipotent God who created the world and everything in it, and who set forth rules for us to live by and will reward or punish us for all eternity based upon how well we follow his rules. They believe God to be a Trinity of persons (a required belief for Catholics), one of which was born of a perpetual virgin (also a required belief). To say simply "God is love" is ignoring pretty much the entirety of the religion.

Actually, as I understand the current pope rejects the idea of a literal hell. I think that many Catholics participate in the masses and identify Catholic, but do have varying personal beliefs in spite of the official rules to Catholicism.

@thinkwithme That may be true of Pope Francis — I've read a bit and I'm unclear on the scope of his views — but it's not church doctrine as far as I can tell. The abolition of Hell would be a big step in a positive direction, but I'm afraid it will meet opposition within the church from the more conservative clergy and laity.

Or as the saying goes: Jesus loves you... but his DAD is trying to kill you.

Some people say that god is a belief in a supernatural being for which there is no evidence. Others, might say it a word that seems to satisfy or 'fill a gap' in the lives of many people. What does the word mean to you?

I feel like really it is asking to apply a word for which there is no definition. I think first the idea God is everything. I have heard God called the beginning and the end, all that it seen and unseen, the father, the mother, the lover, the child, the creator and destroyer, the combined forces of the universe working together. I'm big on people caring about each other and just appreciating life. If people did just worship caring for each other and appreciating their own lives and called it God, I don't know if I could complain about that. Of course as they say, the devil is in the details. People have different and fluctuating conceptions and opinions on what that means to care for one another and appreciate life and how important that is.

You can put the name of god (with a small letter) on anything you want - it might not mean the same thing to all people. We have stated meanings for god/goddess that we all understand - For me, the Christian God IS a Being (Old man with a beard in the sky that sits on a throne and judges everything). Some people never progress beyond this.
I would think that God is actually your own idea of what is right or wrong. Prayer is a sort of meditation for our hopes and wishes. No need for supra-human type miracle worker.
Love is an emotion, which is what we all want and sort of dry up without. But God or god - define your term...Christian God, Pele, Baal, etc.
God is just an idea...unseen, unheard, unfelt - just an idea to try to explain the unexplainable.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 2, 2018

In the main I agree with some of your definitions. Ideas in and of themselves may be fine, However, historically, some ideas have lead to horrendous atrocities with human suffering and great loss of life...

The beard gets a lot of press. I've never seen the beard mentioned in biblical text. I think it's just suppose to be a symbol of age or wisdom. The facebook God usually has a beard and he's amusing sometimes. Some are literalists and some are not. Many ideas and definitions including not definable.

a load of shit

Well then I guess god is everywhere lol

he works in mysterious ways lol

I don't know much about Catholicism. I once went to a Greek Orthodox wedding? But as far as god is concerned doesn't everyone have their own definition of god? I used to think god was your conscience.

God is the ideal human. It is a state of moral & ethical existence which is unattainable. God is depicted as all powerful, all knowing & all seeing. Saying that humans were built in gods image may mean that the collective human species, humanity, is the embodiment of god.

Scientifically, God is a state of mind which is only attainable in 2nd generation humans. 2nd Gen humans have an intellectual capacity which far exceeds the average level. They only engage in worthwhile pursuits & do not bother with trivial activities.

A single human can only ever become 75% of what is described to be a God. Apart from the mental development & ability to bring about social & cultural changes in history. Human beings can be killed or can die. God is believed to be immortal & humans are not.

Wondering what are considered worthwhile pursuits versus trivial activities..

It's all relative to the outcomes which were expected and whether or not they were exceeded. If you earn more from one pursuit than another then it was worthwhile.

@Lancer as in if you liked it, it was worth it

Relative to a person yes, but relative to the human population it's a bigger grey area of neither yes nor no.

What one person may like, another will not.

It is trivial for someone to go out drinking to get drunk, however it is worthwhile to go out & drink socially with friends with the intention of not getting drunk. They both involve drinking however one will allow you to socialize comfortably while the other will result in you making a fool of yourself & possibly injuring other people. (Not you as a person, it's just an example).

“God” is a metaphor for the combined forces and influences that affect you, over which you have no control.

skado Level 9 Jan 2, 2018

This planet with its trees and mountains and oceans and valleys.... the stars in the sky.... the seasons.... a child flying a kite on a warm breezy day...... So you get it? GOD IS YOUR SENSES....

What Color Is God?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12176
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.