Agnostic.com

42 8

Swear words?

Do you use any exclamations/phrases that aren't religious in nature? I realize I still use phrases like "Oh, thank God!" for relief, "Oh my god" for excitement, and "Oh, Jesus Christ" or "Oh for the love of God" for disbelief. I'm wondering if there are more fun phrases that can be used. "Oh thank humanity/science" just seems to snarky and un-fun. lol

UnderABlanket 3 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To use "god" in any form is considered breaking the 4th commandment, so I use all the variations I want when appropriate. ...I have a potty mouth and make no excuses for it. I don't swear in front of children or dogs. geesuz fucking christ in a sidecar is what I normally say in my car alone

I have a great affection for

"OH for Fuck sake!"

very satisfying on the tongue

"Fuck me!" I muttered, clawing my way to the top of a ski run. It was so steep with sliding dirt and rocks, I couldn't stand up. Last week, Karen and I hiked to the Mission Ridge Ski Area summit from the lower parking lot. We gained 2,000 feet in elevation over four miles.

We didn't take the service road. Instead, we went straight up steep ski runs.

"I heard you say, 'f-ck me,'" Karen said at the top. I felt embarrassed.

"It means I'm fucked or in trouble," I replied. "Somehow, 'Good heavens! I'm in a pickle' doesn't have the right ring to it."

Oh, for fuck's sake
Cheese and crackers
For the love of... Insert literally anything here
Thank the stars
Fuck a duck
Biscuits and gravy
Oh, for the fucking love
Damn it all to piss
Son of a fuck
Dayuuuuuum
Thank Oprah!
Help me Tom Cruise! (blatantly stolen from Talladega Nights)
Ermagerd!
For fucking real, right now?
Work that karma!

I mean there's more, but I think you get it. Substitute food, Oprah or Tom Cruise for God at any chance and triple up on the fucks.

"Mercy Maude!" was the closest my mother got to swearing.

"Bad word!" a friend of mine says instead of swearing. This always makes me laugh.

My polite one is "Christ in a sidecar" if no other reason than I think that's funny.

My impolite one is "fuck me sideways."

WTF says it all, what more do you need ?

I often take after Bender from Futurama and use "Oh your god!"

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

@LenHazell53 Holy Granola of Mineola!!

@LenHazell53 Sweet cream Jesus! (This statue was near my home before it burned down, and all of the butter Jesus lines are used fairly liberally around my house...)

Fuck is my go to expression. It serves me well.

Jesus H Christ is a phrase many use

Can't forget his middle initial. 😉

I laughed when I saw someone write "Jesus Nutsack Licking Christ..." when something bad happened a couple months ago...

Well, there is a great time to say "oh god." That's all I'm saying.

Line from "How to train your dragon": "OMT". Cracked me up. I use it all the time now. Sometimes as the abbreviation and sometimes, if the person is religious, :"Oh My Thor"!!

OMZ!!! Oh my Zeus! Yep I absolutely love this idea and there are so many options! OMA Oh my Athena!

OMD; Oh my delusion"??

I use OMG all the time because God is unbelievable.. It's okay

When "Fuck" just wasn't enough, and "bullshit" would not quite express her incredulity, my mother, who had the grace and demeanor of Jacqueline Kennedy, would shout "Bullfuck!"
Me, I tend to be more pedestrian, but I find "fuck" to be the most multi-purpose word in our language. I use it often. Occasionally, I pepper it with "holy" or another supporting descriptor.

“Fuck me sideways” is the usual for “gosh, what a surprise!”

Livia Level 6 July 6, 2018

Cheese wiz

I do it and I have never had a religion, being born into a family who self describe as freethinkers. In fact, I caught myself saying Jesus wept! just the other day. This was one of the expressions my late husband used to use so it must have rubbed off on me! I think the religious ones are more expressive and after all we all need to vent, some of us more than others!!

Mine usually have an "F" in the.
Oh F a duck for example.
Of course WTF has become iconic.

"What in the fresh fuck on a Tuesday?" Is popular 'round here.

What is the “H” in “Jesus H. Christ!”? Have always wondered. I swear like a navvy. I get away with it a lot in America because it “sounds less offensive” in my accent. I love a good swear. While here, I would like to point out “Bollocks” does not end in “...ox” and “cunt” is very offensive but used often in England for both genders. No sexist connotation.

Livia Level 6 July 6, 2018

Harry

I don't swear often and explained to our son once that, "Daddy was a sailor, but mama speaks the language." Got hooked on a show called Father Ted and stole the expression, "Arse!Farg!Feck!" from the character, Father Jack. Took a Russian class and we had a teacher who drove everyone nuts with her insistence that everyone learn an enormous amount of plant, animal, and geographic terms. As a class, we rebelled to our primary instructor by substituting the word for beaver into a variety of common phrases. I still say, "Bobr moy!" ("My beaver!" ) in place of "Bozhe moy!" ("My god/Good lord!" ).

I loved Father Ted. I have to say it is one of the funniest, and probably most accurate shows of character representation that I have seen. The caricatures are brilliant.

I like and use "Oh, for the love of all things holy,..."

And, also the usuals -- like "Oh my god!," but I never say "Thank god." Years ago I did. But, not anymore.

Quite often. I don't think much about it. I don't say "for the love of God", but I sometimes use the others.

I picked up JMJ! (Jesus Mary & Joseph) somewhere along the line. (I since have dropped it- I think it was a phase) Around religious friends I will also say cheese & rice (in lieu of Jesus Christ ) things we do for our buds! Lol ?

Don't swear

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.