Agnostic.com

42 8

Swear words?

Do you use any exclamations/phrases that aren't religious in nature? I realize I still use phrases like "Oh, thank God!" for relief, "Oh my god" for excitement, and "Oh, Jesus Christ" or "Oh for the love of God" for disbelief. I'm wondering if there are more fun phrases that can be used. "Oh thank humanity/science" just seems to snarky and un-fun. lol

UnderABlanket 3 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, for the Odin’s Sake!

When I'm trying to be "cute", I'll go with something like "Thank the ancient gods"

But I am more likely to say something along the lines of "Jesus Horatio Motherfucking Christ on a Goddamned Cracker", especially when driving.

On that note, the little thing on your steering wheel (no, not the one that turns on the wipers, the other one) activates the turn signals and the left lane (in the US) is for PASSING ONLY.

Paying attention to those two items will help keep my use of my second example to a minimum.

#TheMoreYouKnow πŸ˜‰

Ozman Level 7 Aug 23, 2018

Absolutely and I still feel uncomfortable when people take the Lord's name in vain, even though I don't believe that I (or anyone else) am 'saved'.

The only one I use is "For the love of whatever the heck you believe" I think that gives a clue of what the heck I am πŸ˜›

But I'm Turkish and Turks get VERY creative when it comes to cussing/swearing. I have a ton in my bag without using f-bombs, s-bombs, or god/jesus bombs πŸ˜›

Holly shit, batman. Wow! That was not recommended. (when things just go wrong and hurt.)

God dammit

My normal frustations express in the form of these and more: fucking christ! , are you fucking kidding me!, Jesus h fuck!, omfg, holy shitballs!

I swear a lot when the kids aren’t around. When they are around I euphemize everything.

A recent creation was β€œcircle dancing fudge cluster”

Words are words. It isn't the word, so much, as the meaning and intent behind it. Stub your toe: one might say 'S#!T' or 'NUTS' or 'JESUS' -- the meaning is the same as saying 'OUCH'. However when you call someone using a swear word -- you may invoke a negative reaction. I like George Carlin's take on 'the 7 words you can't say on tv'; or his take on the word 'S#!T'. In polite society, I avoid swear words. In friendly society, I use whatever.

I love the expression "Gordon Bennett!" but I have never found out what that is all about or who Gordon Bennett was! Anyone any ideas?

Yup. It’s a euphemism for God Blind Me, or Gorblimey!

@Livia That's great. Thanks for that. I can rest easy now, another eternal question resolved
πŸ˜‰

Nothing wrong with saying "Jesus" or "Thank God". Its your culture. Doesn't mean you buy into it. Its a verbal reflexive action to a certain situation, so no need to try and change it. It is part of you. I used to say from The Wizard of Oz "Well, bless my buttons", but not for many years. My mum used to say "Christopher Columbus", wherever that came from. I settle for "Jesus Fuck!" now because it comes out naturally.

Land o Goshen!

Huge Melons - For disbelief (Replaces 'for fuck's sake'πŸ˜‰

Oi! Shit for brains - Self explanatory really

Soapy - Short for 'Soapy Tit Wank' just aimed at someone who's a bit of a twat.

Twat - There's another one. A twat is an idiot

Giving my tits a headache - Just for someone who's getting on your nerves

Arse Licker - yeah you know that one

I'll have to ponder this as I go thru' the day cussing people πŸ™‚

Cuntchops. I use it a lot.

I tried fairly hard to cut those phrases out of my system. I do say god damn it more often since I became an atheist 4.5 mouths ago.

I still borrow a couple from Larry Niven - futz and tanj. I also use a lot of garden variety swear words, and several phrases that take somebody or another's name in vain.

My father used to punctuate injury and frustration with the epithat β€œJesus H F....in Christ” myself i spent 7 years working in a foundry so those religeous expressions like goda...it come way too naturally. i have tried to purge these expressions of faith as i now work in healthcare and we have a large majority of christians in the workplace.

I like "Well! Damn I blast, and sod I sideways!"

Havent much of a baldie what it means but its been passed down by generations of my family.

the ones that don't have religious words are mostly swear words - My ex when he hurt himself would try to say as many swear words end to end as he could manage in one long breath ending in really silly ones -like piss, poo ,piddle, wee, fart.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.