Agnostic.com

36 4

When should anatomy/health/sex education be introduced into a child’s life?

Is grade school too soon? There is much sensitivity on this subject as to whether parents are leaving this “uncomfortable” subject matter to the educator, or the preference of this to be taken up within their own family (religious purposes?). Where is the line drawn when educating this subject?

MyLiege 7 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honest questions and answers should be talked about as soon as the child asks and can understand the answer. Speaking early about sex gives a child the ease to ask more questions as he/she matures and needs deeper answers and questions.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

Grade school is appropriate. Kids are learning things at a faster pace then they were even 20 yrs ago. The internet and technology has a lot to do with that. The sooner kids learn the right way about things, the better off they will be as they grow and develop. Its part of human nature, its who and what we are. It also gives kids better understanding & prevention if they were approached by strangers trying to groom them at an early age. Case in point would be sexual abuse by priests.

When they ask questions. Its also important to not overload them.

Other countries start super early- like, kindergarten equivalent early. I suppose it depends on the maturity of the kid.

all I can say is if my kids asked me anything about boys and girls I just told them the truth. this really tends to happen when they are becoming aware of themselves so that's the best time I think. my parents were the same with me.

At home, as they become curious and/or need to know. By the time a child is in school, he should know basics to his maturity and understanding. Our puritanical love of ignorance is sick and detrimental. When nature is taught normally in life, there is no fear or shame. There is also knowledge to protect oneself in time of need. We keep our pets in eternal adolescence. It is selfish and harmful to do so with our children.

As soon as a child asks. Educating a child about their body is import to well rounded development. I think better body awareness early on leads to better choices once the hormones kick and teens start feeling the peer pressure.

I don't think that is too young for the basics. But more important than anything, I think kids should be aware of their own anatomy and the fact that some people may try to violate their privacy. I didn't know anything about my own anatomy or the male anatomy and that helped me keep silent when crazy shit went down. Nobody told me that it is inappropriate for men to touch you as a young girl in certain ways. So when it happened to me, I knew it felt awful but I didn't know at that age that it was legally wrong. I didn't know that a male might want to be non-sexual friends with me until I was 19 years old. It started in the home and never stopped until I went to college. Its definitely important they we educate kids at least enough that they let us know when someone has crossed that privacy boundary.

clea Level 4 Jan 2, 2018

Thanks for sharing.

Sex ed? That is a tale to tell. Note: my mom was a nurse.

Sex Ed for me was a single class period in 6th grade. It was taught by Mr. Sikorski...ex pro football player. A film projector slide show, and questions afterward. That was in 1978.

Kids are going to have sex? I think it's a load of crap. You have to worry about the adults giving them carte blanche. Then they are pressured.

No girls in a graduating class of 694 students (1985) were pregnant, miscarried, or had abortions. They were smart. The guys were smarter. Maybe rolled around in the hay. Condoms. Give the kids credit.

There is no way you can no that no one got pregnant, had an abortion or miscarriage. There don’t have to wear a sign.

From my experience in 5/6th grade. I think that's about the time when most kids are starting or about to start puberty.

Anatomy before puberty hits and physiology and sexuality a little later

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12295
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.