Agnostic.com

14 1

Athiests and Guns

As a gun owner and far left political advocate I am often overlooked, or discredited for owning guns and pushing for stricter gun laws.
Does owning and AR15 and 7 other guns, while still advocating for stricter gun laws, make me a hypocrit?
Is there a correlation between owning/using guns, and party affiliation.

• 5 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 6 votes
CodyMack 4 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I personally have seen a direct correlation between party affiliation and gun owners, be that as it may there are always exceptions. However I will trust someone with a gun that actually believes in regulations for that gun, because they're more likely to be responsible gun owners.

I do not own a gun, because my mental health, physical health, and my little brother whom lives with me has an explosive temper and no impulse control. However I love shooting guns under supervision and in a proper environment. Just because I know I shouldn't own a gun doesn't mean I hate guns. Just because I want proper gun laws and regulations doesn't mean I'm anti-gun.

You're in a catch .22 mm (see what I did there? Lmao) if you don't own guns they say "lmao you don't have a valid opinion because you don't know guns!" And if you do, they call you a hypocrite.

There is nothing hypocritical in wanting people to be properly regulated and safe with their guns while owning guns.

I own guns. I live sortta remote and rarely use them for anything. occasional target shooting.I have no problem with no Ars and those kind of guns. The weapons that I have could also ea lot of havoc also. The problem is people who are unstable getting their hands on guns. This needs to be addressed and yes I know there is no easy answer. Responsible owners need to store their guns away from people in their family who are unstable or young. These people whose kids can just pick up a gun should be held responsible for the damage others do with with them.

I too am a gun owner looking for better laws made by people who know more about guns,

I am a centrist not a Democrat or a republican. I own guns and also feel that AR-15's solid no er be sold. Because I look at things logically.

Conservative Republicans refuse to use logic when anything relates to guns. If you want to kill allot of people quickly you buy an AR-15 or equivalent and then you go shoot allot of people.

Stop selling those guns and that will no er be er be an option. (I own an AR-15 but I'm not crazy). It's not hypocritical to own guns and to also realize that some shouldn't be sold any er.

The two Republicans I briefly dated owned arsenals of guns, including assault weapons and a machine gun. I was horrified.

Republicans and Democrats have stark, fundamental differences on questions relating to the causes of gun violence, and even whether gun violence is a serious problem in the country.

I think your question show just how not a black and white problem this is. I also think the biggest wild card is the human involvement. If you only ban guns that doesn't stop the crazy person. But it's a start, but there needs to be a better system to do the background checks. And there needs to be accountability from the NRA and cops and who ever else drops the ball. Also there needs to be a ban on the money from these companies and religious people going into politics and government. Follow the money 😉

I find that it is easier for me to debate the gun issue with the conservatives right because I am a gun owner as well and a far left one at that. I do advocate for better background checks, especially at gun shows...and I think open carry is taken too far by people who probably shouldn't have guns if they are that insecure about going to Starbucks carrying their weapons. I think many are shocked and even scared that many of us liberals own weapons...I guess they thought a civil war would be won in a day...ha!

You are absolutely a hypocrite.

I consider myself a liberal left I also believe in second amendment rights. However I strongly am in favor of stricter gun laws, more extensive background checks, better training, waiting periods. I also believe that there are too many guns in our society. Guns were made to protect your home and property. I do wish more people would explore other non-lethal forms of protection as well.

Stricter gun laws is better.

I'm happy living in a country where guns are illegal. Very happy.

I'm a shooter, collector, LEO and self-defense advocate who also agitates for stricter screening, training, and licensing procedures. (Emphasis on the training before giving someone a permit.) So I don't see a conflict.

Once someone is licensed, they should be considered trustworthy, even in the so-called "gun free zones", which are an invitation to criminals, who by definition aren't going to obey those signs.

The only influence being an atheist has on my positions is that I don't go so much with the "god-given rights" BS.

@jlynn37 What does John Woo have to do with it?

And my answer to your question would be that I have exposure to and experience with the mentality of those who are not going to follow the laws, no matter what they are. Felons don't play by the rules. Banning handguns would result in honest people turning their guns in, and criminals keeping theirs. This is predictable.

Part two of my answer is that I know the type of training people need to have, minimum, in order to carry a handgun, or any gun. Knowing which situations call for the use of force and which don't. Knowing when to retreat (99.99 percent of the time) and when to defend yourself. Knowing not to go into a suspicious situation in the first place, which would prevent the majority of incidents. Being alert to the people around you; if they're watching you, how they act, how they talk. Being justifiably cautious, but not afraid.

Not everyone that wants to carry a gun, should carry one. Training standards need to be tighter. I know this and I advocate for it. That's what being a law enforcement officer has to do with it.

@jlynn37 L.E.O.
Law Enforcement Officer

This is what happens when terminologies clash....

@jlynn37 Leo, the astrological sign, would not be in all caps...

@Paul4747 Thank you for that clarification and my apologies my friend

@jlynn37 no sweat and you're welcome

@Bendog Sounds like a REMF?

What is your concern that makes you feel you need to own guns against your will? I would never advise someone to be armed if they have mixed feelings. That's begging for an accident or worse, in my opinion.

@Bendog
Rear Echelon (I'm sure you can figure the rest out...)

Okay, so you have valid concerns. Then if and when you get firearms, make sure you get training. Treat them as loaded AT ALL TIMES, even when you "know" they're not, even when you know they're not because you just unloaded them. Never aim at a person you don't intend to shoot. Practice dry-firing (but once again, never at a person, or at a thing you wouldn't want to shoot). Practice reloading. Keep the muzzle pointed at the target. Practice keeping your eyes on the target, using peripheral vision to reload. I'm not talking about "field strip the gun blindfolded" or any of that special forces BS, just being able to get your hands to work the weapon without looking right at it.

Get a quality holster that you're comfortable wearing and comfortable carrying... one that keeps the pistol secure and accessible, and a style of carry you're comfortable with. This will take a while. I have 3 bags of holsters for my various guns, most of them I haven't touched for years.

I highly recommend (as painful as it is to say) an NRA certified training course. Ignore the pamphlets and other propaganda BS and just concentrate on the practicals. Better still, seek out your local law enforcement and find out if they run a training course. Odds are it will be the same thing, but law enforcement will probably have less propaganda than an NRA instructor. The course I go to for my certifications are run by a neighboring county sheriff dept. and their state police post, it's a weekend with 8 hours of classroom work (laws and scenarios dealing with when you should and should not use force) and 8 hours of range time making sure you're familiar and qualified with your chosen handgun. I remember a lawyer who bought a 357 Magnum for his 5'2 wife (all of 110 pounds) as her first handgun. She was missing the target by a foot... just because she was intimidated by the loud, heavy monster in her hands. A trooper let her fire his 9mm auto, coached her through the trigger squeeze, and she shot bullseyes. They passed her on the course, with the caveat that they get an appropriate gun for her to use. That's the quality of training you want to look for.

I wish you the very best, no matter what you decide. Be safe, my friend. Feel free to PM any time you want information.

You have 2 questions but only one place to answer yes or no. I don't think owning guns while advocating for strict gun laws makes one a hypocrite. Perhaps by owning them they can understand clearly the reasons why laws should be strict. No one said the laws should say people can't own them - just that it not be so easy to own them without proper training and licensing. As far as the second question - there seems to be a correlation, but I'm sure there are other outliers such as yourself.

Maybe not so many guns.

I too like guns, but we can be safer about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.