Agnostic.com

9 3

Has anyone else had the pleasure of trying to be ethics police to a religious person while openly non-religious? Like catching them doing something super shifty and having to explain that they're not living up to their religious ideals. It always feels weird being the guy who has to tell people they're being unethical when they claim to have the monopoly on how to be a good person.

Spoony 4 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many Conservative Jews don't follow the dietary laws.I've caught my cousins eating shellfish-they love, lobster, shrimp and scallops.

My parents always called me a belly Jew

@sassygirl3869 What does it mean to be a "belly Jew"?

The food-kreplach, knishes, chopped liver, potato latkes-Grandma made

I find it kind of fun to point out their inconsistencies then sit back and watch the convoluted ways they try to prove that their actions are justifiable.

Since I was born with a very clear sense of right & wrong, and low tolerance for any shifty-ness, no problem at all........religion has absolutely nothing to do with ethics, it is usually the biggest weasels who try to cloak themselves in it. Like the orange ape claming to bemy president.Too bad, so sad, straighten up or hit the door!

Yeah, it's a game I play, it's called spot the hypocrite. You can do it with almost anything, even atheits. Though with atheism, you have to get their views on one thing, and use their views against them.

Feminism and religion are my two favourite subjects.

that seems like a challenge to maintain. Those conversations, while interesting, are very emotionally taxing for me, mostly because of how animated other people get when their beliefs are challenged. Feminism conversations more so than religion, because ultimately I'm at a disadvantage in the discourse either from lack of knowledge, lack of a real point to argue, or lack of real interest in challenging someone's point of view on the subject.

So I mostly try to use people's beliefs to point out how they should be disappointed in themselves for doing something clearly wrong.

@Spoony When I was in school I used to listen to what my maths teacher said, then look at what he wrote on the board, if they were not the same thing I would correct him. He would always say the correct thing, but write something that was different.

All you need to do is to pay attention to what people are saying, and then what they do. If they don't match up, well then something is not right.

You never challenge their beliefs, you just wait until a contradiction arises and then point it out. Basically getting them to argue with themselves. All you do is listen and watch. You do not need to know anything about the subject that is being discussed, you just need to know what they have told you about it.

Feminism is easy, because the ones that speak the loudest are often the most stupid and hypocritical, and religion follows a similar pattern of behaviour.

Catholics are the biggest liars, schemers and plotters, not all of them, but definitely some! I guess they will be forgiven, isn't that what they do?

I don't really want to point anyone out for being worse at it than others, I feel like we're probably all pretty bad at being consistently moral or ethical or "good". I just get irked when people claim that they have the only key to the path of righteousness but then they do things that are clearly unethical.

Oh yes, many times. But I don't play ethics police to save their soul, or anything stupid like that. It has always been in the context of countering their self-righteous preachiness by pointing out out their own hypocrisy. Try being gay and having some SOB insist on telling you 10 reasons why you are going to "Hell" for your "sins." That might just motivate you, too, to slam them with their own rule book. I must admit, often, depending on my mood, it's rather fun.

I hesitate to do it - because it gives weight to their beliefs.

love it every opertunity

Only on YouTube. It can be pretty fun though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.