Agnostic.com

19 2

How did LSD impact your view of religion?

I didn't really grow up in a household determined to indoctrinate religion, though there were feeble attempts to conform to community norms in church participation (this was on military bases). So I was pretty disinterested all along and not really a believer. But my experiments with psychedelics - mescaline, psilocybin and most notably LSD - were amazingly contemplative experiences that, to me, put religion into the field of the absurd. Like, "how could anyone believe this shit?" - yet I know some whose LSD experiences reinforced their religious beliefs. Anyone here go through this?

242Foxtrot 8 July 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One LSD trip at 19 changed my life. It was scary but amazing. After my humor completely changed to absurd and I grew to appreciate how incredible the universe is.
I saw tree spirits and storm gods, and increased my appreciation of nature and our place in it, but I stayed atheist.

Livia Level 6 Aug 11, 2018

My best man was in the Latter-Day Saints. He was also gay. This fact being pretty much ignored by his family as "impossible" due to its incompatibility with their religion, was another factor in my growing disenchantment with religion and my search for understanding of this human phenomenon.

Wait... did you say "LDS" or "LSD"? I've had a couple beers...

LSD had no effect on my beliefs. It was just an interesting experience, that's all.

I did that crap in the 60's, 70's. Experimentation, they are never a social drug... they are for dealing with the inner you. Have a friend that lost an eye while tripping with a buddy. Who knows how many may had died during such effect. Saw crazy things and weird behavior... but we tried to adhere to the Golden Rule... Somebody has to not be on it. Avoid crowds and keep and eye on us. I remember the term and saw guys that stayed on a trip for months or more... some may had never came back to be the same again. Funny things happened a lot for our entertainment but it could get you killed and that is a reality and you may never come down from the trip.

I did that crap in the 60's, 70's. Experimentation, they are never a social drug... they are for dealing with the inner you. Have a friend that lost an eye while tripping with a buddy. Who knows how many may had died during such effect. Saw crazy things and weird behavior... but we tried to adhere to the Golden Rule... Somebody has to not be on it. Avoid crowds and keep and eye on us. I remember the term and saw guys that stayed on a trip for months or more... some may had never came back to be the same again. Funny things happened a lot for our entertainment but it could get you killed and that is a reality.

I was an agnostic atheist when I first tripped. My friends and I were lucky to have approached our first psychedelic experiences with caution and respect, and I had my first peak experience after a few trips. I had many peaks after that. One thing I learned was that the universe is much larger, more frightening, and more beautiful than the Christian god I had been raised to believe in. It completely confirmed my atheism.

Trying to describe a psychedelic experience to someone who hasn't had one, is like trying to describe the color red to someone who's been blind since birth.

I've partaken, but I was athiest beforehand, so no effect.

Lsd not at all magic mushrooms however have had many intense experiences on

weeman Level 7 July 16, 2018

I saw the light and it had nothing to do with religion.

ugly Level 7 July 16, 2018

A college friend persuaded me try some lsd - after some careful research of what the ingredients were (nervous about any allergic reactions) - I finally took one. Friend and I walked to the arboretum park. My friend got quickly high but it took a long time for my body to process it. It struck just when we entered the park and two policemen walked past by us. Thank goddess that we signed (American Sign Language {ASL}) so they couldn't tell how we were behaving. It was an amazing cathartic experience ever. When sober - it seemed emotions came in just 8 types but with lsd, we felt like there was 20 kinds. One of the most enlightening moment struck me when we were people-watching - I kept saying, "Oh my god, I love everyone! I love the young father chasing his toddler. I love the old couple lovingly strolling by. I love you!" Then it hit me what one song from John Lennon - Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

For a year I could never understand how "will be as one" work. People do not get along, there is always strife with war going on, discrimination, hate crimes, etc.
But that trip that day totally ripped apart my limited mentality and I finally got it.

Windowpane. I did not change my perception of religion, but it sure changed my perception of the wall.

I started reading the Bible one night in 1977 while tripping on Orange Sunshine. Soft, near transparent paper with gold edges, words appeared to be floating on the page. Read a few pages then ditched it for Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" through some headphones. Now there was a religious experience. Bottom line, tripping on acid or stone cold sober, the book makes no sense.

YES ! Orange Sunshine trumps Jesus any day and makes it all look like smoke and mirrors for fools[which it was]

At first I thought you were talking about money in Britain L.S.D is 'old speak', for pounds shillings and pence. I have never in my entore life been religious but have taken L.S.D and really enjoyed it - I was with friends in Greenwich Park London and had some amazing beautiful times.

If everyone tripped at least once in their lives, the world would be a better place, os so a friend told me...... snikker......

Or at least mushrooms.

For two years, I took LSD and related substances enthusiastically. Never had a bad trip; never saw the face of any god but expanded my mind to function more completely. And when I had enough, I stopped and got down to living , working, loving life.

@Byrdsfan After those years, I started to tell people that I live mt life with my arms wide open. Many of them looked at me strange like and took a few steps back. Literal people; don't get metaphors.

It, in a small part contributed to me not believing. After I started experimenting with mind altering substances I realized how fragile the mind can be. I began to compare the euphoria of faith to the euphoria of drugs. I very quickly realized they where similar in many respects. When I began working out alot I would feel the same kind of effect. So in the end, for me at least religion summed up to a nothing.

I did a lot of the same substances in the 70s, 80s. I feel like the effect that we experience is mostly based on what is already inside our minds, it gets expanded.or magnified. But it also thins the "veil" between this world and the next somehow. I don't quite know how to express in words the "truth" I experienced, but I felt that I saw beneath and beyond the surface of things. It did not change my spiritual view in either direction, but did reinforce for me what I already suspected .

The few times I took acid, there was no nexus regarding religion or theism, as far as I can recall. Despite being educated and socialized in a religious environment for 11 years, religion, and religious spiritualism never seemed to have gotten a tenacious grasp on my psyche; i.e., I've never been a "true believer."

Me neither. I am a true do-er.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.