Agnostic.com

55 3

Marijuana for recreational or medicinal? Dont be shy?

Well... California just passed legalizing marijuana. I love it. Would you say you would grow it for medicinal purposes or recreational purposes?

BucketlistBob 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I favor full legalization as we have enough people in jail already. It’s ludicrous to put someone in jail for using pot. I do favor cracking down on people for dealing bad addictive drugs like meth, heroin and the opioids. After the 3rd offense for those drugs they should be shot.

I support full legalization. It's time to stop jailing people for smoking flowers.

There will never be a one size fits all answer to this. Even if it's fully legal, both medicinal and recreational, it's still up to the individual. Everything in life is risk vs reward. If the risks of using something that you feel doesn't have enough research outweighs the reward of feeling some kind of medicinal relief-that's your choice. Same of the reverse. Not everyone reacts to things the same or has the same assessment of their reactions. I make the choice to take Xanax as needed, even though it has some side effects I don't like, and even though there's a high chance of addiction. If I decide that weed is a better option for me for whatever reason, there are still things about it I don't like, but I'm deciding which risks and rewards I'm the most comfortable with. My stance is to legalize it across the board, when I weigh the overall societal risk vs reward.

Both. In New Hampshire I'm in the process of applying for their Cannabis Program. I also smoke recreationally as I have on and off since my teens.

Yeah!

Both should be legalised. There's no moral reason to prevent people from having access to a drug that can help them live with debilitating diseases, and no logical reason to allow criminals to make huge amounts of money from one people clearly want.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

While limit to one or the other?I think cannabis performs well for both rec and medicinal. Depends on the individual and the circumstances.

Legalise and control it around the world. Regulate it in the same way that different countries regulate alcohol and I would go so far as to say legalise and regulate all recreational drugs.

The further drugs get pushed underground, the more damage they do. Opiates from natural sources would open up a legitimate way for taliban to rely on the west with mutual trade dependency - in the same way that Japan trades with the west now.

Every society has it's mind altering drugs of choice and has had since before records began. Prohibition doesn't work. It's a bit like the religious "Just say no" approach to contraception and safer sex.

In the UK, the government has been waging a war on what were known as legal highs, gradually banning substances by adding them into the Misuse of drugs Act. This resulted in increased deaths as more and more dangerous substances were sold to stay one step ahead of the law. The law has now been changed to include "any psychoactive substance..." Sledgehammer and nut spring to mind. Isn't caffeine psychoactive in higher concentrations?

And in case you are wondering, no I don't use recreational drugs with the exception of the occasional beer or glass of wine with a meal.

Yup, caffeine can be pretty bad, and is definitely addictive. Nicotine is actually not that bad in and of itself and has some useful properties, but cigarettes are horrendously addicting (purposefully made that way by scientists that the companies hired because they started losing lots of business when people realized smoking was actually not healthy at all, if you didn't know) and they're legal. Alcohol is extremely addictive too, and can ruin just about everything in your body, if you have the propensity towards addiction, or specifically alcoholism. Energy drinks are awful for you as well xD

Full legalization! I find it incredibly ridiculous that they are secretly trying to make cbd a schedule 1 substance now. There is way too much evidence proving it’s medically necessary..

I hear you.

I'm very satisfied with my state and liberal MJ and CBD laws. πŸ™‚

I don't eat or smoke it myself. I would grow it for the uses for others to consume. There are other variants of the cannabis plant which are useful for other purposes too.

I think that drugs should be legalised but controlled so that the quality of the drugs is high and the violence and misery of the drug industry is removed/reduced.

Well Bob i was in a car accident aug 3, 2005. Massive brain injury, ear cut 80% off, fractured L2 vertibre, colma for 28 days with a valve in my head to relieve pres! I don't remember shit till already home. And can't remember wheel chair, learning to walk again, i was fucked up!! I can't wait for it to go medical in nebraska, cuz will get better deal than going through2-3 hands to get here from col. under the radar. I need it medically as my brain isn't wired right anymore! Ya medical!!

Man....i am so sorry about all that. I wish you so much luck.

maybe it made me stronger? But i do know i look and react to the common world way differently now.

Not sure. Medicinal definitely. Recreational ? I've known too many potheads that smoked to excess. The happy stupor would be a potential disaster while driving, or operating machinery.

And then there's the same health risks , or worse, as smoking. Like we need more ?

Not cut and dry with me.

Since I wrote this - just this morning the stats from L.A. came in, and the number of impaired drivers has doubled.

High drivers aren't as bad as drunk though - nowhere near, atleast until they're gotten like...solar system high lol. Can't remember terms and whatnot of what exactly I read, it was a while ago and would have no idea how to find it as I'm not in the habit of bookmarking or saving things. I should really do that...and I'm not really excusing it, just putting it out there.

they've*

@Neraven Perhaps - though it won't matter if one crashes into you - will it ? I've known some pretty spaced out smokers. They were only good for lying around and eating. ha

@evergreen True enough. I know someone whos done it for about 30 years and another whos done it for atleast...ten years, prolly more around 15. You can barely tell the difference between when they do and dont, and theyre very competent drivers.
Oh and fun fact, people get slightly better at driving around .02 percent bac. Which is why ive noticed when im a little tipsy i can be a LOT better at video games and jigsaw puzzles lol.

Did so much prior joining the military. Did once with a daughter after retiring of military. Don't miss it. Not appealing right now. Don't really do medicines... Pretty strange. Those who do for recreation... Enjoy... Those who need for Medical Purposes... Get it and get Cured. Totally Neutral. But support the use by others.

Indeed, for both or either!

Both .It should be legal . It is no worse than alcohol,or cigarettes, plus it will produce tax revenue and save money on the policing,and prosecution

A lot better than alcohol and cigarettes I'd venture to say lol. There's all the bad things that come with just smoking, but there are far less carcinogens and fake chemicals and preservatives and all that like what's put into cigarettes. And I feel like I don't have to even explain how it's better than alcohol xD

Having grown a lot of my own over the years, I am against taxation. If I can grow my own veggies, why can't I grow my own pot?

Marijuana/cannabis is the most important plant in the world. The US military complex and Justice created it illegal in every country in the world except one, Uruguay. The war on drugs has lost to a score of 1000s the to 1. The cost to ruining lives is greater than the Holocaust.

In Arizona it lost in the last election but hopefully next time. I'll get my six plants the first week.

gearl Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

Great news, my kind of party, grow them 25 feet tall.

Just because it is not well known, I think it is important to point out that synthetic THC has been legally regulated as a Schedule 2 narcotic since 1985 and was downgraded to a Schedule 3 controlled substance since 1999. Anyone who wants to engage in the medicinal legalization issue from an informed position should research and understand that and its limitations. Google "Marinol"

Thanks

Legalize it across the board. I would use it both medicinally and for recreation.
I'd love to grow my own legally. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It should be legal . I once grew it for a couple of years

Im all for medical marijuana, actually I don't mind it being legal for recreational as well. Its not my thing, but I believe some people are better off smoking that than they are drinking alcohol.
I have seen a few people ADHD, who completely calm down after smoking, though give them alcohol and its a horror.
I have also met a few people, with missing limbs, who get the phantom limb pain and they say the only thing that helps is if they smoke.
They are trying to get it legalized here, I hope they do. As I said not for me, but it works for many.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 3, 2018

My health insurance had run out so I got an MM card. I was amazed as to how many of my ailments it helped, sometimes more than the pharmaceutical drugs prescribed.

But it should be legal regardless. And hemp industries should be encouraged. Corporate interests have a long, sordid history of kneecapping such ventures.

I am 100% in favor for recreational and medical use, as a man of 70+ years, it has been a mystery to me why this hasn't happened decades ago. I am 100% in favor of marijuana being used for all purposes.

Both. If tobacco and alcohol are legal. mj should be the least of lawmaker's worries

MrsG Level 1 Jan 4, 2018

Thanks

Except our criminal capitalist government wants a piece, and with that, comes Monsanto.

I say both and would like to see it legal by our US federal government, of which still puts young men in jail for it, not to mention deporting our veterans. It will most likely be the next best thing to our opioid crisis.

i would for sure

Yes I would.i can think of many people I have known who were ruined by alcohol. None by marijuana.

Hmmm......................I can't help but think that habitual use played a part (no matter how small) in two of my brothers dropping out of mainstream society. One deals with chronic pain from gout; the other always thought he'd get rich by it. I worry what will become of their lives when they are old and have no insurance, pension, 401πŸ’‹, SS or Medicare (assuming the the programs will still be solvent in 20-30 years).

I just don't think that would be the case if they were not habitual users. I could be wrong.

@BlueWave I grew up with smokers who became doctors, professional people who had challenging, demanding careers.i just don't think driven people are sidetracked by marijuana. I do know a couple of friends who were sabotaged by liquor addictions.

The worst drawback I have seen. Is a 40 year old man living in his Mother's basement. When he has a party of friends over. It takes a whole team to be able to order a pizza, then they fight over the last pizza.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.