31 1

Would you, or would you not?

If you're atheist, and evidence came forward that god was real, would you change your mind? also what would that evidence have to be in your own personal opinion?

View Results
By aLilFATGIRL
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

31 comments

As an Apatheist, it does not matter to me if Gods are real or not, and I am still me no matter what evidence is presented. If they find proof for Allah or Krishna or Jesus, or Yahweh next week, I will still have to eat and sleep and do my laundry. As Omnipotent Beings they always have the choice to love me or destroy me on the spot, and I have no power to stop Gods doing whatever they feel like anyway, right? If any gods need worship for some strange reason, then they can create some instantly, so they should have no need to bother me while I am watching a movie and eating popcorn.

Silverwhisper Level 7 July 8, 2018

I used to ask atheists this question before I became one myself. Now that I don't believe in the existence of a god, I think it would have to take meeting a diety in person before I would believe again.

Librophile13 Level 5 July 8, 2018

Actually, on a similar topic, having watched many episodes of Ancient Aliens, I would be far less surprised if a UFO landed in my front yard rather than Jesus! 🀣🀣

Barnie2years Level 7 July 9, 2018

I would prefer the UFO

My Papaw was convinced that god was an alien long before Ancient Aliens was a thing. I love that show because it reminds me of him.

Aliens visiting us over eons makes enormously more sense than a dead jew on a stick saving people who happen to drop his name.

Of course. Refusal of acceptance in the face of evidence is irrational.

maturin1919 Level 7 July 8, 2018

Yes, I could (and would) change my mind if evidence were irrefutable. But then, to borrow a line from something (allegedly) written into a concentration camp cell wall, "he will have to beg my forgiveness."

shayne69 Level 5 July 12, 2018

Given concrete verifiable evidence, I would change my opinion but don't think I have it in me to worship. I just don't care at all if a "higher power" exists or not. My general attitude has always been very close to 'okay, so?'

PhoebeCat Level 7 July 9, 2018

Quite agree. We being our own 'higher power' is enough to contend with without someone else muscling in!

Only if it is Odin. I do not care for the christian guy. He was invented by truly evil people.

Spinliesel Level 8 July 9, 2018

Oh yes, dear old Odin. Much missed and misunderstood

@Geoffrey51 None of the Norse gods required worship by mortals. I like that in a guy!

One of the first steps is defining "god"

educatedredneck Level 7 July 14, 2018

Precisely!

If the evidence was convincing & independently verified through accepted scientific methods, I don't see why not. I think the likelihood of that ever happening is much less than say... a car in space on its way to the asteroid belt... Oh, wait... smile008.gif

davyjones Level 6 July 10, 2018

Even if there was evidence - by now I think the standard god guy (or woman), has F'ed up so badly, they don't deserve my respect at all.

evergreen Level 8 July 9, 2018

Given my total disbelief, unless they could show me live video of heaven and hell, or get me a handshake with a god like person who could control on a whim everything around them, there is zero chance of this happening. So it is kind of a non issue.

Barnie2years Level 7 July 9, 2018

Until I'm presented with a definition of "God" that is internally consistent and not self contradictory then it is nonsensical to discuss its existence or otherwise.

Strabo Level 6 July 9, 2018

^^^THIS^^^
There's not even anybody qualified to define a god, let alone estimate the presence of one.

Irrefutable evidence? Sure. I've changed my mind about other things when presented with objective irrefutable evidence. I cannot imagine what that objective, irrefutable evidence could be, but if it existed I would have to change my mind accordingly.

Minta79 Level 7 July 12, 2018

The only evidence that I would accept would be falsifiable evidence. More specifically, that evidence would have the properties of measurability, predictability, and repeatability, concepts which are totally alien to the God Mob.

Your question also begs the question of "Which god?". (Sorry for being so sharp towards you, my right knee is giving me a lot grief at the moment.)

irascible Level 8 July 12, 2018

Maybe but she would have to be pretty and topless and have free beer and free WiFi then I would follow her around and pretend to be interested in what she is saying just like I do to my girlfriend now.

Anonbene Level 7 July 9, 2018

Are there actually men who do that-- just get into a relationship, pretending to give a shit, but really just to have regular sex? How in the world could that be worthwhile? And you'll end up being one of those assholes with a "dog and wife missing- reward for dog" stickers on your pick up truck.. do they not realize when they insult their wife, it begs the question "what kind of person are YOU, to be with someone you hate and disrespect?" Total digression, but you kinda need to be called out. What's the difference between you just getting with someone for sex, and some gold digger just in it for , "following him around pretending to be interested in what he's saying"?

@Punkrockgirl77
Maybe you should re-read the original post that I responded to.

Not really. No way it could be "proven."

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve for dating here.

If you answer the profile questions and write your profile, listing your hobbies and interests, you'll earn website points, and members can get to know you.
Commenting on posts and writing your own earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

The website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many women prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find compatible partners.

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

birdingnut Level 8 July 8, 2018

Evidence would have to be irrefutable. People say that a banana fitting perfectly into a human hand is evidence or that they have found a piece of Noah's Ark or other such nonsense.

Evidence would be an entity coming out of hiding and letting itself be known, which will never happen.

BrianPierce Level 2 July 8, 2018

That whole banana argument is bananas. The bananas we eat today have been crossbred and engineered to have tiny seeds, lots of flesh and be the size that they are. In their original form they were tiny, full of larger seeds and much less sweet. Bananas are an argument for the power or man.

If you can't take new evidence and be willing to change your opinions, then being an atheist becomes a religion itself.

Jess2zz Level 5 July 8, 2018

None of the above.

bing_ffao Level 3 Oct 9, 2018

I mean, if it could be proven, yea. This just how it is. That being said, I'd continue to not give a shit about it. Can't really see any god being active in the world. Not too mention all the horrible crap they'd also be responsible for creating. I'd remain apathetic.

ColinMyles Level 3 July 17, 2018

If the evidence was convincing enough and could be put through some sort of test to prove its legitimacy.

ekon1227 Level 4 July 16, 2018

I would believe in the proven god but most likely reject whatever worship was demanded. Every god I have ever learned about has been more evil than good. I would rather go to hell than worship a god who I have no respect for.

JenBeberstein Level 7 July 14, 2018

Certainly...and I would be thrilled.

Freeofcancer Level 6 July 9, 2018

What evidence would you need to believe Thor is the one true god? What evidence would this have to be?

Normanbites Level 6 July 8, 2018

That all nations that had a replica of MjΓΆlnir were inspired to put them away for ever and he put his away first.

I would be inclined to belief in a godlike entity if it revealed itself and consistently interacted with humans. However, I would definitely still be skeptical about whether the entity was actually supernatural and worthy of worship. Such things would be exceptionally difficult, if not impossible, to establish because of the sheer quantity of conceivable explanations.

Giblesnarf Level 3 July 8, 2018

Oh no! There is. Its called Donald Trump. Gather your sons and daughters. Run for the hills! There must be a more tranquil deity up there that doesn't want to talk nonsense.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!