Agnostic.com

25 1

Would you, or would you not?

If you're atheist, and evidence came forward that god was real, would you change your mind? also what would that evidence have to be in your own personal opinion?

• 7 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 37 votes
aLilFATGIRL 3 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, on a similar topic, having watched many episodes of Ancient Aliens, I would be far less surprised if a UFO landed in my front yard rather than Jesus! ??

I would prefer the UFO

My Papaw was convinced that god was an alien long before Ancient Aliens was a thing. I love that show because it reminds me of him.

Aliens visiting us over eons makes enormously more sense than a dead jew on a stick saving people who happen to drop his name.

Yes, I could (and would) change my mind if evidence were irrefutable. But then, to borrow a line from something (allegedly) written into a concentration camp cell wall, "he will have to beg my forgiveness."

Given concrete verifiable evidence, I would change my opinion but don't think I have it in me to worship. I just don't care at all if a "higher power" exists or not. My general attitude has always been very close to 'okay, so?'

Quite agree. We being our own 'higher power' is enough to contend with without someone else muscling in!

Only if it is Odin. I do not care for the christian guy. He was invented by truly evil people.

Oh yes, dear old Odin. Much missed and misunderstood

@Geoffrey51 None of the Norse gods required worship by mortals. I like that in a guy!

One of the first steps is defining "god"

If the evidence was convincing & independently verified through accepted scientific methods, I don't see why not. I think the likelihood of that ever happening is much less than say... a car in space on its way to the asteroid belt... Oh, wait... 😮

Even if there was evidence - by now I think the standard god guy (or woman), has F'ed up so badly, they don't deserve my respect at all.

Given my total disbelief, unless they could show me live video of heaven and hell, or get me a handshake with a god like person who could control on a whim everything around them, there is zero chance of this happening. So it is kind of a non issue.

Until I'm presented with a definition of "God" that is internally consistent and not self contradictory then it is nonsensical to discuss its existence or otherwise.

Irrefutable evidence? Sure. I've changed my mind about other things when presented with objective irrefutable evidence. I cannot imagine what that objective, irrefutable evidence could be, but if it existed I would have to change my mind accordingly.

Maybe but she would have to be pretty and topless and have free beer and free WiFi then I would follow her around and pretend to be interested in what she is saying just like I do to my girlfriend now.

@Punkrockgirl77
Maybe you should re-read the original post that I responded to.

Not really. No way it could be "proven."

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve for dating here.

If you answer the profile questions and write your profile, listing your hobbies and interests, you'll earn website points, and members can get to know you.
Commenting on posts and writing your own earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

The website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many women prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find compatible partners.

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

Evidence would have to be irrefutable. People say that a banana fitting perfectly into a human hand is evidence or that they have found a piece of Noah's Ark or other such nonsense.

Evidence would be an entity coming out of hiding and letting itself be known, which will never happen.

That whole banana argument is bananas. The bananas we eat today have been crossbred and engineered to have tiny seeds, lots of flesh and be the size that they are. In their original form they were tiny, full of larger seeds and much less sweet. Bananas are an argument for the power or man.

If you can't take new evidence and be willing to change your opinions, then being an atheist becomes a religion itself.

None of the above.

I mean, if it could be proven, yea. This just how it is. That being said, I'd continue to not give a shit about it. Can't really see any god being active in the world. Not too mention all the horrible crap they'd also be responsible for creating. I'd remain apathetic.

If the evidence was convincing enough and could be put through some sort of test to prove its legitimacy.

I would believe in the proven god but most likely reject whatever worship was demanded. Every god I have ever learned about has been more evil than good. I would rather go to hell than worship a god who I have no respect for.

Certainly...and I would be thrilled.

What evidence would you need to believe Thor is the one true god? What evidence would this have to be?

That all nations that had a replica of Mjölnir were inspired to put them away for ever and he put his away first.

I would be inclined to belief in a godlike entity if it revealed itself and consistently interacted with humans. However, I would definitely still be skeptical about whether the entity was actually supernatural and worthy of worship. Such things would be exceptionally difficult, if not impossible, to establish because of the sheer quantity of conceivable explanations.

Oh no! There is. Its called Donald Trump. Gather your sons and daughters. Run for the hills! There must be a more tranquil deity up there that doesn't want to talk nonsense.

Who would not change their mind if God was presented as real?

It's a Basian issue, evidence for the supernatural must be such that it shows the supernatural explanation more probable than any explanation suggested by known phenomenon

I'm always open to theories backed up by sound evidence

These questions that require me to imagine a (demented, maniacal) "deity" in order to answer the question piss me off. HUGE waste of time

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125493
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.