Agnostic.com

6 1

What is your local secular community like, if you've found one?

I live in absolute hillbilly hodunk, so I have to go to the nearest large city (Knoxville, TN- 35 minutes away) to find other freethinkers, but I have found a Sunday Assembly there! (Sunday Assembly is a secular congregation with branches all over the world). I really like that group, but I am startled by the demographics: mostly people 30 or older, with a peak in the 50s, and some members in their 70s. I don't think that's representative of the overall secular community in the US, the world, or my local one. Many polls/studies say secular beliefs are increasing in the younger generations, so why no younger people? Then again, it might be representative of the active secular community, vs the inactive. I realize I'm a rare extrovert among my age group (I'm 24). Most of my friends are introverts, and the secular ones have flat out turned down going to Sunday Assembly with me- citing it's "not their thing". It's disappointing that I don't see younger people engaging in social, secular events. But at least I have friends at Sunday Assembly, and I appreciate them all- no matter their age.

What's your community like?

NyamiRose 3 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just looked on meetup and there is Seattle Athiests group with close to 3K members. However there is no longer a Sunday Assembly.

That's really cool Meghan!

I'm going to guess that many people in your demographic just aren't ready for that kind of community gathering.

About four years ago, I nervously went to a NOSHA (New Orleans Secular Humanist Association) meeting where Dan Barker was speaking and promoting his book. I dragged a young friend along with me. I was 47 at the time and she and I were some of the youngest in the audience. So, I'm thinking that maybe finding this type of community becomes more important to the majority of folks as they get a little older, are finished with school, partying, maybe raising kids, etc.

That Sunday Assembly thing sounds really cool. I wish I had even one atheist friend who I could take along to new things like that as a sort of human security blanket. 🙂 I might look it up for this area. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be brave and go alone.

Besides all that, for me, I don't have ANYBODY near me who is atheist. Oh, wait -- I have an acquaintance in Baton Rouge.

I do not have one here where I live, or I do not know, but.....hmmmm.... maybe I can start one!

I just looked it up, and sadly, the nearest Sunday Assembly to me is 2.5 hours away. The two next nearest are just over 3 hours away. Bummer. I'd go if there were one near me. There aren't even any Meetup groups near me, and I'm too chicken/lazy to start one.

I organized a Meetup group a few years ago. Thinking about starting it again. But mine had a built-in activity - riding motorcycles. Made it easy. I think I'd be chicken to start an atheist meetup. What would we DO besides meet up? LOL!

@BlueWave A few years ago, one was started in a town about 45 minutes from where I live, I was at the very first meeting, and it was nice, but I didn't attend regularly because of the distance. The next time I went it was bigger, and we had a nice time. Then the third time I went, it was really clique-y and some people weren't warm and welcoming and I had a hard time fitting in. Then I got into an argument with a really outspoken annoying guy about politics, left, and never went back.

I've never heard that here. Non believers just don't have opportunity to group, unless it's a secular organisation that has conferences or alike. They do that here in Australia when someone like Dawkins visits. But attending is difficult, for travel and other reasons. At local level, nothing. If you have one, that's great for you. Also, "hillbilly hodunk"? That's a new one. I like hillbilly music tho, early US folk before country music got turned into an industry. Hank Williams, the great Hank, hillbilly Shakespeare. Cheers.

I live in London , England and I haven't found anybody in London , all though the main stream religions are struggling for attendee or the flocks are getting old and scared off not getting to haven when their time arrives

I always thought England -- and especially London -- was very secular. What are the mainstream religions there? Do you have any family or friends who are secular/non-religious?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.