Agnostic.com

16 3

Question on terminology.

The definition of an atheist is someone with an active disbelief in the idea of God. However, a significant subculture of atheism goes further, and will actively try to spread their non-faith. I’ve heard this subculture referred to in many ways, including New Atheists, Christian Atheists, and Evangelical Atheists. Is there a commonly accepted term for them?

AaronW 3 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depending on how aggressive they are and how intolerant of agnostics, asshole fits well

Atheist is lack of belief, not disbelief.

. . . active disbelief in the idea of God"

No!

An atheist is a person that does not believe in a god.
A theist is someone who believes in a god.
If you are not a theist (do not believe in a god) you are an a (not) theist = atheist.
That simple.

The default Null hypothesis is not to accept a claim until demonstrated. There is no "active disbelief" as the default is not to accept until demonstrated.

In other words, you do not need to "active disbelieve" in a god to be an atheist. If a person has never heard of a god and does not believe in a god by your definition, this person would not be an atheist because there is no active disbelief in a god. This is nonsense.

. . . Spread non-faith? YES! What a wonderful idea!

Faith is defined as belief without evidence so non-faith would be not-belief without evidence.

This is the foundation of the scientific method to question and find answers with evidence to demonstrate facts as apposed to religious faith based superstition to accept as truth that which can not be demonstrated to be true.
So If we value truth, things that can be demonstrated, we really should spread non-faith.

Yeah Atheist. You boil, fry, poach, scramble an egg but it's still an egg 🙂

I prefer realist

Salo Level 7 July 9, 2018

I hope not.

Oy......

I'm an atheist. People can interpret that however they'd like.

I honestly do not care what word is used at least for me. I usually just use the word Atheist because I've never been a believer my whole life, and back when I was a kid that was the word poeple used to call it, so I guess it just stuck with me out of habit.That is what I use for my lack of belief, and to be honest I really don't talk much about my dis-belief in a god, or gods. There really is no point as much as I can tell. I have some great friends that are believers, and we get along just fine.
However, I do rather like the term, anti-theist. That is something I actually do talk a lot about actively. I despise religion and I have no problem bashing it with disdain and contempt.

"Is there a commonly accepted term for them?"
Yes - atheist.
In general, Christians dislike the notion of atheist having "the nerve" to be openly atheistic, or to be so shameless as to retort - "Na...I don't believe in your god". So, Christians come up with monikers such as "new" or "militant". And that doesn't really bother me because I often tell Christians what I observe in the "New Christianity", namely - I see no evidence in the lives of modern day Christians that indicates to me that they are in any way being motivated, influenced, or controlled by a supposed "holy spirit".

Frankly, I don't know any atheist who actively tries to change the beliefs of theists. That's a total waste of time. NOBODY wants to be proven wrong when their big sky daddy's involved.

I've de-converted a few theists and most thank me for helping them no longer fear burning in hell, enjoying reality, etc. . . . .

None of those. I have never actively spread anything related to being an atheist. Most of those terms raise the hair up on the back of my neck because they imply association to existing religious groups and appear to be oxymorons.

EXACTLY! Don't you DARE call me a "Christian atheist!" These sound like phrases created by theists...trying to fit us into their boxes!

@LucyLoohoo rather be called a feckless cunt than a Christian anything....🙂

@thinktwice Crumbs, that's my nickname, how did you know! ?

@Geoffrey51 lol we must be kindred spirits then...I am sure many of us have that same nickname at one time or another! lol

@thinktwice Me too!

@thinktwice Agreed!

None of the terms you mentioned seems appropriate to me.
New Atheist sounds like someone who has just recently rejected religion.
Having Christian associated with Atheist sounds crazy, because atheists also don't believe in Zeus, Odin, Ra... And the term Evangelical is mostly associated with Christianity as well.
Richard Dawkins uses the term Militant Atheism and encourages atheists to give up being polite and to speak out more.
I'm not sure I like the term "Militant" but I suppose it fits as well as any other.

Dawkins could be getting sucked into the celebrity thing here by making up terms for effect. A dictionary definition of militant is 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause. "the army are in conflict with militant groups"

Not helpful I don't think for bandying such phrases around. Puts me in mind of Henry II and his "Who will rid me of this turbulent Priest" outburst. And look how that ended up by being heard by misunderstanding ears.

@Geoffrey51 I would tend to agree with you. I'm not an overly aggressive person, and not a big fan of the word militant. I think he was attempting to light a fire and suggest that we (as atheists) need to be less passive, lest we submit to the religious hords.
I would prefer another term for sure.

@scurry I see what you are saying but it seems as though the whole feel of it is setting up a a theist/atheist conflict. If this is lighting a fire its Shakespeare's Henry V "once more into the breach" mentality. I only know of Dawkins work which is highly respected but this sort of discourse sounds more like a mission. And missions are dangerous in the hands of influential people as history will attest.

@Geoffrey51 I don't disagree. The term Atheist seems to be confrontational enough (to some) without adding the word Militant.
I don't think that conflict is the answer, but I also understand what he was getting at.
If we sit idly by, don't make a fuss, be polite and do nothing, we run the risk of the society (schools, governments, etc) being run solely by religious folks who will not adequately represent the full population.
Extreme thinking perhaps, but if left alone, schools will teach creationism instead of evolution, science funding will be cut, museums will no longer show and teach about dinosaurs...
I think what he was implying is that we are already in a war of sorts.

@scurry Ah okay. I am with you on that idea. That emphasis doesn't exist that I am aware of in Australia so i didn't pick up your thread.

Atheism - noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

I don't have an "active disbelief". I'm not defined by what other people believe, that's ridiculous. I'm also not an avid non-skier, or a devoted not-stamp-collector, or a keen Easter Bunny denier.

The term Atheism only exists because the majority of the populace believe something stupid.

Anti-theist.
That is the correct definition.
Anything else usually denotes value judgments on the definer's part.

Some will call them "militant atheists," as if they were making some sort of apt analogy. Hyperbolic at best...

I don't know, but "Evangelical Atheists" seems most accurately descriptive to me.

It seems to me that "evangelical atheists" is an oxymoron. Evangelical refers to the active spreading of the gospel of Christianity. There has to be a better term.

@wordywalt Anti-theist.

@wordywalt Agreed. But I think if one were called an evangelical atheist I would know what was meant, while I wouldn't know if one were called a Christian atheist (also an oxymoron) or a new atheist. Maybe "evangelistic" atheist would be a less objectionable metaphor.

@Wallace I agree with KKGator. Atheist means non religious. Anti-therist means actively opposed to theism in all of its forms. The latter is the more aggressive stance.

@wordywalt Not precisely correct if the debate is semantics. From the Greek eu- good - angelion - announce can be translated as good news. The word doesn't take on specific Christian connotations until the Latin translations of Medievsl scholarship.

@Geoffrey51 You are correct if one is talking about word origins. I am correct if one is talking about accepted meanings today.

@wordywalt

Yes, I see that anti-theism may be least misleading of these. Also, I think militant atheism is pretty suggestive.

You may—or may not—find the personal report below of some interest.

I thought I coined the term, Antitheism, when I published “Natural Theology: Theism or Antitheism” in Sophia, Vol. 36 (1) March 1997, pp75-83. There I accepted the orthodox concept of God as a being who is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent, and the standard concept of theism as the belief that God exists. Then I advanced the concept of Antigod as a being who is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnimalevolent (=an all powerful and all knowing devil) and the concept of antitheism as the belief that Antigod exists. Then I tried to show that the premises of the traditional, philosophical arguments for the existence of God can be legitimately tweaked to support the existence of Antigod as strongly as the original premises support the conclusion that God exists. The aim, of course, was a reduction ad absurdum of the arguments for theism.

Some time later I did a Google search on antitheism and I found that one Christopher New had already used the term—and in the same way that I used it. See the quote below from
[en.wikipedia.org] .

Other uses
See also: Misotheism § Terminology
Another use of the term antitheism was coined by Christopher New in a thought experiment published in 1993. In his article, he imagines what arguments for the existence of an evil god would look like: "Antitheists, like theists, would have believed in an omnipotent, omniscient, eternal creator; but whereas theists in fact believe that the supreme being is also perfectly good, antitheists would have believed that he was perfectly evil."[9] New's usage has reappeared in the work of Wallace A. Murphree.[10]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:126200
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.