Agnostic.com

17 7

QUESTION The Bible is fictional

This is a really funny exchange about the historicity of the Bible:

[facebook.com]

resserts 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fictional? It’s so fictional I would not let my kids read it. James

Leon Level 5 Mar 2, 2018

Here is a good speech about Bible[facebook.com]

The problem is if these things never existed then "God" did not tell Moses that the land of Israel was for the Jews, where does that leave the Israeli government today? It's a good way of getting land and control over a country.

Jinny Level 3 Jan 4, 2018

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. I remember seeing her on a TV series on religion.

Jinny Level 3 Jan 4, 2018

Thanks for sharing. Really liked Francesca and her outlook on Aheism and how to react to Religious People. I pretty much have the same feelings. I will respect Religious People and their right to their beliefs as long as they don't try to impose them on me and others.

Exactly. I respect everyone's right to believe whatever they think, just so long as we don't end up with a theocracy and public policy and education aren't dictated by faith-based initiatives.

That's basically the modern "High Criticism" academic school of Bib Crit.

While most mainstream Abrahamic religions don't call for word-for-word literal truth of the Bible, this school misses a lot of real information salted in the text. Pay attention to the host asking about Leviticus, the part that talks about infectious disease control. Did anyone else at the time in the area have functional infectious disease control? The professor just brushed that off. Did the Hebrews actually practice that? Did it work? Same thing with harvest rules; they tend to ensure mixed manure on the field in Autumn, which provides plentiful soil nitrogen at spring planting. Did they do it? Did it work? Did anyone else do it? Did it really allow for six straight years of fallow field agriculture? Wheeled, animal-drawn transportation really did come to Egypt from Semite (Hyksos) territory. Probably camels did well; there were glyphs of camels at Aswan. Circumcision really did travel from Egypt to Asia. There really was an alternate species with which we mated, resulting in morphologically different off-spring from a one-way, sex-linked flow of genetic information. This list goes on and on.

NONE of this has any bearing whatsoever on whether or not there's an invisible man in the sky. But there are an awful lot of technical details in the text which merit straight-up, no BS looking into.

I don't think she was dismissing anything about cultural truths or how they get mixed in with religious teachings. I think she was merely pointing out that there's a huge amount that cannot be taken at face value and that many of the things people think are proven are nothing more than fabrications. I've heard Christians talk about how Jesus definitely existed because the Romans kept such good records, and we have the documentation of Jesus's crucifixion, etc., when in reality there's no such evidence. I think that's really what she was pointing out, using examples from the Old Testament.

@VictoriaNotes Hokie Dokie.

[Nothing I'm writing in this reply has anything to do with any type of god or deity]

1. We observe that the universe emerged with matter, space, and time.

2. We observe that we are living under a dome that separates a fluid above from a fluid below. We call it the Heliopause, and when Voyager 1 broke through it, the plasma (a fluid) density shot up to 100 times the density of the same fluid inside the heliopause. [note that I'm conflating heliopause, solar magnetosphere, and bow shock)

3. We can propose, based on the long time it takes for the nucleosynthesis of nitrogen plus the time we observe for multi-cellular life to develop on earth, that plant life could not have occurred until a little over a third of the way into the life of the universe.

4. We observe that our local solar system showed up at about 2/3 of the way into the life of the universe.

5. We believe (a) that we were descended from something that was naked, ate fruit, exhibited estrus, had wider hips and smaller heads than we do, and 🍺 the LCA of Australopithecus and Homo had potential to develop symbolic communication for the purpose of controlling their environmnet [Australopithecus sediba]

6. There really was a leaving of a small group of us from somewhere more or less idyllic under harsh circumstances. [Africa Replacement Hypothesis]

7. There was a point when some of us switched from plant-based clothing to animal-hide clothing. A good but completely circumstantial case for the Toba eruption fostering this can be made.

8. Note the inclusion of the Genesis detail of "fountains of the deep" (ground water) in its flood myth; while the original Gilgamesh flood was rain-only. We observe that the last earliest of the latest round of megaflooding was the Missoula Floods, which were groundwater, at the end of MIS 2.

Just sayin',

@VictoriaNotes You are correct, madam. But it makes the fiction more interesting.

I think we all knew that it was fictional.

Indeed. 🙂 I shared it more for the specific points she made, and the way in which she made them. I found it to be witty and fun.

Yeah, a collection of historical fiction and science fiction combined into a 2 part tome.

Recently, upon stating I am an Atheist, I was told I needed to get a Bible. My answer was "No thanks, I don't need toilet paper."

I own a couple of Bibles. I see nothing wrong with it as literature of a particular era to understand the people and culture of the time, just so long as nobody's taking it literally.

@resserts Actually, I also have a Bible....is in Spanish and it was printed in 1952....I have as literature.

I couldn't load the video for some reason, will try again soon. But it seems to me that one of the Facebook comments totally invalidates everything she says: "Jesus is coming back soon and the devil is running rampant; blinding eyes and corrupting hearts! He knows his time is short and he is trying to take as many people as he can with him to hell! The Bible speaks of this exactly, everything she is saying." Airtight argument. The Bible speaks of her blinding and corrupting teachings exactly, therefore she can't possibly be right. 😉 Not sure why she wasted time on an Oxford education when her points can be invalided so easily...

Welp, I guess we have to pack it in and give up our godless ways, then. It was a good run, but now it's time to devote our lives to Jesus.

My current book is progress is [nytimes.com] Fascinating! How people have created god or gods since the beginning of time. He looks at how all gods have evolved though history and how those gods have interacted with other gods/other peoples. It is way better than I expected it to be, I was expecting to slog through, but it's well written, very engaging, and I'm learning and enjoying it.

You might have to send it to me when you finish!! 🙂

Sorry, I'm too frugal to buy a one time read, it is a library book.

Aldo good is Karen Armstrong " A history of God"

Love it...and said before with people's need to believe in magic.. 2000 from now if earth is around with humans habitants...Harry Potter is the new messiah...Yay

Hey!...hes the man!?

I sometimes think about how it would be fun to write some mythology and just bury them somewhere in airtight containers, with no attribution or explanation, to screw with future generations — but I can't in good conscience do it.

Look up Alvin Boyd Kuhn’s “Who Is This King of Glory”and take a read whenever you get time.

[archive.org]

You’re welcome @MsOliver

Thank you. I'll bookmark it for later reading. 🙂

I see it as fiction mixed in with history. Something that would make Oliver Stone very jealous that he didn't create. 😉

I think there's a cultural context in which historicity plays a part, but so much of biblical writings are from decades, centuries, or millennia after the purported events took place, and at that point I consider it oral tradition more than solid history. But, from an anthropological perspective, I think these works can shed a lot of light on the period in which they were actually written.

I really like this woman. Thanks for sharing this video.

@MsOliver Thank you!

She is a very articulate young woman with a good sense of humour as well. It's good listening to her comments

Cute - "men with daddy issues" pretty much sums it up, very well. Her comments on dawkins, and teh patriarchy made me happy too. She's great!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12655
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.