Agnostic.com

15 7

Not sure which category this goes under since there is no general "rant" category. 🙂 My rant is about people on social media who, upon reading someone's post -- you know the one "Pray for my dear Uncle Bob, he slipped and fell on the ice," jump in and post "Praying," "Sending prayers," or whatever.

You know as well as I do that as soon as they read the next thread, 99.9% of those "praying folk" have already forgotten to pray for Dear Uncle Bob.

How many times I've wanted to post something like "Pray in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up first?" (I know it's a saying about wishing... but it seems to fit just as well.)

Or how about when that shooter went on a rampage at a church in TX - and people were all praying. Praying? What? Those God-loving people were in a church. They should have been exempt from any kind of crazy attack on their church.

I do ask for positive healing energy or love and light but I don't ask for prayers. Save your breath.

NotMyRealName 3 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just a way to avoid taking any kind of action.....because show me one instance where the T&P helped....just one! I'll wait.......

I like it when they vaguebook ask for prayers: "can't give details but please pray for my family," etc. I'm like, you better tell me who and what I'm praying for so I can decide whether they deserve it.

I pray for people all the time. Do I think it does any good? Probably not, but what can it hurt? Maybe... just maybe... there is something out there that knows me, and is at least willing to hear my plea... Even if it's just me at a deeper subconscious level.

It is called prayer for people who think some diety has to do the heavy lifting; Rather than moving universal energies and effecting a contagion Of emotional or psychic energies. It’s what people say when they feel helpless.

Prayer: Feeling good about doing very little to nothing at all.

I can't stand it and often point out that its god who put uncle bob there so why are you praying?

God gets all the credit when good happens but none of the responsibility when bad happens.

exactly its complete crap

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

I really like this! Thank you!

Thank Madalyn Murray O'Hair!

It makes them feel better-not the person they ask to receive the prayers.

Prayers did not cure my leukemia-medical care did.

I try to believe that when people say they are 'praying' for someone/something.....they have good intentions and actually want the recipient to feel better. I only get annoyed when the request gets way over the top into the realm of "the power of prayer really works". A family member of mine was going on at Christmas about how a child they knew of from their church had recovered from a brain aneurysm, all due to the hundreds of people praying for said child. I told them that I believed in the power of the medical community.

I agree.

A few years back a friend hired a prayer circle for her boyfriend who was ill. After the circle, her boyfriend preceded to steal from her mother. I guess he was praying for something different. I was curious why and how much they chared for praying but she would tell me.

Wow - charging to pray....sounds like quiet a racket....does it come with a money back guarantee?

Prayer is a selfish act at best. Rather than talking to fairies, bake a dinner for a sick person, help them with housework, mow their lawn. Few people will take real action. I just roll my eyes when someone says they will pray for me and think "oh great another useless lazy person." 😛

Sometimes I respond, "Sending warm, positive regard thoughts and energy." I have never had anyone challenge me on it.
It is frustrating when "god-fearing" church goers don't see the irony of 'praying in church' to their god while seeing their fellow congregates being mowed down in a blaze of gunfire. I remind myself, "ignorance is bliss." I also remind myself, "to each their own" and so long as anyone isn't trying to force me to pray, I'm good.

What's the difference between prayers and positive healing energy?

skado Level 9 Jan 4, 2018

Good question. For me, the difference is, positive healing energy lets someone know they are actually thought of with positive regard by a real, live human being. Prayers are asking for an ambiguous mediator that will hear the request and respond simply through having faith that the "mediator" is listening and will "grant my wishes." I prefer the first option.

@AMGT I understand. However, when I state, "for me" I am simply letting others know that this is my thoughts or opinion and I certainly don't expect anyone to agree or adopt. It is not "guesswork or opposition to critical thought or scientific method." There are evidenced-based practices that indicate positive regard and empathy is found to be healing. It is therefore, not "unevidenced" (I don't think that is a legitimate word) nor "invalid." I would suggest to you that my offering positive, warm energy/thoughts is "doing something" that will create comfort and is often "validating" to those who are on the receiving end. I know this since I have received feedback from those I have offered it to that it was, in fact, beneficial to know I was thinking of them and wishing them well.

@AMGT it is simply my energy in sending positive regard. Healing energy is more along the lines of the beholder and the receiver. You don’t think it has any healing effects to feel comforted by kindness and positive regard? You could benefit from researching evidence-based stats on just that!

You don't think believers feel comforted by other believers saying they are praying for them? @Oosaleh

@skado I didn't say that. To answer that question.... I would guess that I suppose they do. I am just answering your question as to what I think the difference is.

@AMGT I would suggest to you that some research on trauma and the amygdala might offer you more insight. Peace

That's all over my fb too. Pray for me Im tired, Pray for me I have the flu, pray for me there is snow outside. blahblahblah.
If they ask me directly for my prayers, I say Im sending positive thoughts their way, or Im thinking of them.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 4, 2018

Or "prayers for family member needed" where there isn't even a name or incident. Somehow it must make them feel better. I don't understand it.

It is a bit of a turn off. I think my problem with it is that it excludes people who don't pray. Like, I can't send some sympathy without using your worship methods? It took me a while to figure out why I was annoyed with it. haha

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.