Agnostic.com

7 2

Here is another article that I found interesting. Trump is a symptom, things were not well under Obama. They haven't been well in Washington since Reagan. I'm politically active for the first time of my life, there is a chance real progressives might get back into power. We have a long ways to go though. [salon.com]

Druvius 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My question is why you think things in Washington were good under Reagan? Do you remember the junk bonds thing, the savings and loan thing, Iran Contra? There were more investigations and indictments under Reagan than anyone else.
The economy sucked under Reagan. He busted unions and they practiced trickle down economics.
So why pick that era as a good example of politics?

Huh? No, Reagan is the one who let the foxesvtake over the henhouse.

@Druvius oh you're saying he was the beginning of the end. I get it.

...however just before him was the seventies, a time when the wealth of the middle class evaporated. You had the Vietnam War. You had Watergate and Nixon. Before that was the Sixties. I just don't see when We were the shining city we claim to be.

@JLFowler In so many respects, agree. But still, from the forties to the late seventies the wealth of the middle class grew with the economy, health care and college were affordable, heck people worked their way through college. And the country built wonderful modern infrastructure. Lastly the minimum wage was a living wage. It wasn't a shining city and it had a dark underbelly, but it was gotten much worse since then.

You mean you don’t consider Trump to be a progressive? Seems to me he’s doing a pretty good job shaking it up so far.

Shaking things up doesn't equal progress. This is more regress than progress.

Destroying relations worldwide is not going to help this country and a progressive movement. We are going to have to repair those alliances as soon as we can rid this country of that piece of shit. The House has consulted with a Yale psychiatrist-including an unnamed Republican-today on MSNBC- about trumps mental health and ability to serve. 25th Amendment might be an option.

President Pence would be a worse nightmare.

Pence is going down with Mueller's investigation

The premise is correct. Reagan was a genial fellow, but under that, he was a reactionary ideologue who was a lot less intelligent than he thought he was. He led deregulation to open the doors for the culture of greed, and his "supply side economics" stoked that greed, while hurting the middle class and creating the largest national debt up to that time.

After Reagan, Newt Gringrich, Tom Delay, Dick Armee, and Phil Gramm push the drive to the extreme right and to unfettered capitalism gone amok. Then Mitch McConnell started his crazy stances that money equals speech and that corporations are people, and just keep repeating it o, over and over. He then proved the premise that if a person of prominence repeats something often enough, soime fools start to believe it. Then the demagogic Atomin Scalia (unfit by temperament to be a Justice, but McConnell's demagogic tripe into the Supreme Court.

From there is was been a short series of steps to Citizens United, Trump , and the moral collapse of the Republican Party -- aided and abetted by evangelical Christian leaders.

Reagan had zero moral compass. This is the same guy who made deals with the Iranians to delay the return of the hostages in order to get political traction on Carter. And let’s not forget the Iran-Contra scandal.
He did put the Soviets out of business, but put us in serious debt to the Japanese as a result.
I find it funny the Republicans look back to Reagan as some sort of golden age.
Let’s not also forget about his complicity with the House Committee On Un-American Activites. Can you say “informer”?

Arguably the USSR was doomed in any case and Reagan merely stepped in front of the parade.

I wasn’t super politically active before I heard about Bernie. I think especially with my generation we feel like there’s no reason to be active because we can’t change anything. Then I saw a man who’s been fighting his whole career for people who haven’t had a voice in this country and it woke me up. I hope to see real change and soon. We need a revolution. My kids deserve a much better America and I’ll do what I can to help facilitate that change for them.

Thanks for the link!

skado Level 9 Jan 4, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.