Agnostic.com

27 6

What's your favorite name?

Please tell me your favorite name for both sexes.
I'd be interested on learning why it's your favorite, if you have reasons.
My favorites are...

1. Lydia
  2. David
Donotbelieve 9 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mercedes, Athene, Rebecca

Jnei Level 8 July 10, 2018

@Donotbelieve Mordechai - that's about it.

@Donotbelieve Mordy or Mord is most common 🙂

Another thing comes to mind. What are your thoughts on ethnic names and those who opt to Americanize them. Many of my former Chinese coworkers chose an anglo version of their name, but most of the Indian and Arabic ones did not. I always liked for them to go with their own preferences. There were a few that took me awhile to get the pronunciation right. Another coworker had to correct me for my sloppy pronunciation of his name. Yohan (rhymes with wand not hand).

Finally, and along somewhat similar lines, what do you all think of the trend of names that go to extreme of spelling or other irregularities? Many are the butt of jokes for being too "ghetto." Again, I think personal choice pretty much trumps all, but there are some names it seems unfortunate to saddle a child with, though if they become famous, the uniqueness is often seen as a plus. Oprah's name was supposedly a misspelling of the biblical name Orpah.

This talks about that.

[salon.com]

From the article.

[wesclark.com]

And this.

[notwithoutmyhandbag.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.