Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK Opinion The White House Is Tearing Down the Wall Between Church and State

The very meaning of the phrases “religious liberty” and “religious freedom”— traditionally understood as referring to the right of Americans to practice whatever faith they wish or no faith at all — is being altered to mean that government should foster a closer relationship with those who want to mix their Christian faith with taxpayer dollars. This usage can be found in numerous executive orders and speeches by Mr. Trump and his cabinet members. Changes in language have consequences, as the religious right’s successful substitution of “pro-life” for “anti-abortion” has long demonstrated.

zblaze 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When you have an attorney general who is a self-avowed evangelist, you have the person whose responsibility it is to enforce the separation of church and state in a compromising position. I honestly think that the billionaires and corporate interest who actually control policy, don't care about the religious overtones. But anything that divides the populace, or teaches them to wait until the imaginary afterlife in order to receive their fair share, is fine with them.

KC1959 Level 5 July 12, 2018

He wants to move that wall to the southern border.

its worse now they have a say in the election process and can launder money to candidates

Of course it is! But, that is nothing new. The Republican Party has been doing it ever since Jerry Falwell appeared on the scene in the 1970s.

The "conservative" ideologues have a knack for twisting things around to suit their own ends. They turned the estate tax, meant to prevent massive dynastic wealth concentration among a select few into the "death tax." In order to allow big business to better manipulate the political system they developed the idea that "corporations are people." Healthcare professionals that might allow a terminal patient in agony to end their suffering became "death panels." When their "guns don't kill people; people kill people" looked like it was getting a little threadbare they came up with "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun..." You know the rest. Individually each little sound bite is a pin-prick to the body politic. All together they are bleeding the country white. It is death by a thousand cuts.

It will go as far as the voting population will permit it to go and I believe this November election will show what direction it wants this country to go.

That...or it will show just how apathetic we the people have become. I fervently hope you are right.

@ReadyforaChange If what is happening in the country at this time will not awaken the voting citizenry to bring them to the polls and vote, then the apathy in this country can not be overcome and it has won. My Opinion.

@jlynn37 Yep...I totally agree.

@ReadyforaChange I too am afraid there are too many who are apathetic. Half of those can't navigate through political issues if their life depended on it.

@Freespirit64 Apathy yes...and mind control? I have lost friends I've known for decades because they are convinced that I am suffering from lib's disease. They see NOTHING wrong with the horror show in the white house. I am sick at heart and they are all sick in their minds.

That's really not an "opinion". That's a bona fide FACT.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127851
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.