Agnostic.com

35 8

Do atheists have morals without religion?

I think people know right from wrong without being religious. The pious people use religion as a crutch. Atheists don't need religion to be moral, but Xtians do. Why is that? They say without god people have no morals. That seems to be an erroneous comment, but it's the excuse they use to get away with committing horrific crimes. Then they go and ask for forgiveness and pray. To them that is excusing their bad behavior. Just pray and you're going to heaven. It doesn't work that way.

Sarahroo29 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"It doesn't work that way." Knowing right from wrong is the basis of morality, delusions of forgiveness, is not reasonable morality. Logic tells me why something is wrong, I think some people don't have the brains to figure out right from wrong and need religion.

Religeon is a fake concept man made morals are inate

sean Level 3 Jan 9, 2018

100% true, no-one needs any kind of religion to be a moral person. Human morality and ethics arose as our earliest ancestor discovered, just like other animals already knew, that survival depended upon co-operation, caring and nurturing each other as well as protecting the members, young or old, of the clan/tribe.
Religions have merely hijacked that concept/idea and twisted it around to suit their agenda/s.

I figured that I had to work harder at trying to be morally upstanding because I always had doubts about religion, so I felt like I always had two strikes against me.

Go back and read past posts on this topic.

It seems to me that inherent in the nature of man there is an innate sense of morality that has a direct basis in the laws of cause and effect. As John Start Mill more or less stated, a man is free to swing his fist but that freedom ends where another man's nose begins....🙂

It seems to me that inherent in the nature of man there is an innate sense of morality that has a direct basis in the laws of cause and effect. As John Start Mill more or less stated, a man is free to swing his fist but that freedom ends where another man's nose begins....🙂

Some protestant churches believing in God,teach that as long as you accept Jesus,and God as your savior,you are therefore good and moral,regardless of how much you sin. I believe that there are atheists who though don't believe in God, still hold it important for people to behave civilly and kindly towards each other. They likely have any amount of reasons why morals are important.Could be out of sensibly realizing that kind and considerate treatment of people towards each other makes for more harmony among groups, makes is safer for everyone.including themselves, as opposed to disregarding others,and just acting selfishly without regards to anyone else. Some Christians faiths don't even value practicing moral behavior towards each other,but out of their belief in Jesus,they instead believe that as long as they believe in Jesus,they are moral and good,not much in the way of being moral towards others is required of some Christian faiths. So yes atheists can have morals,even more so than religions that are based on belief in God.

I think Matt Dillahunty says it best, correct me if I’m not conveying his point accurately. There are no moral absolutes but we as a society determine objective moral truths based on fairness and wellbeing for society using rational discussion and critical thinking. Ergo, atheists can be moral. Furthermore most Christians edit/ignore their moral doctrine in accordance with what they themselves determine to be moral or immoral ie: stoning to death a cheater, or stoning to death a woman whom refuses to mary a man that rapes her.

that's a stupid question

No need to be rude to me. I have not been rude to you.

I was saying the question is stupid not you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.