Agnostic.com

35 4

What should one do when asked to tell the truth so help you god?

I recently had to go to traffic court and had to start a payment plan for my ticket which requires a hearing.Mind you this is small town."god"fearing.

#god
Nogodnohate 5 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a situation like that, I just mentally delete the words "so help me God" because they don't mean anything. I think of it like the situation where you are having an x-ray and you have to sign paperwork to get the X-ray. It doesn't mean you really agree, but they have a gun to your head and you have to do it or not. I think the whole situation stinks, but that is not the time and place to fight it. The time and place to fight it is at The Ballot Box or the soapbox.

Affirm

At my last jury duty I was selected (all the others were women and I said if they chose me as fore-person I would claim sexual harassment - joke but true). The judge swore us in with the god thing but I kept quiet. However, later I sent in a note of complaint. I was told I could opt out but I would have to say something before the proceedings started. I think that is common practice at least among the more 'civilized' states.

You are in the US, so how can it be constitutional having to use a formula that involves god? Most countries I know have legal provisions for people to do some formal act of telling the truth where doing it on a holy book (could be the Bible or the Qran etc) is an option, but not a requirement.

You are are there swearing the truth, why start out with a lie. I think "so help me god" should be replaced with "under penalty of perjury".

Walk away

OMG, face palm.

If there would be one God, considereble.
But i have found so many Gods..
Means useless aitem.

You could always just say "no", but that's frowned upon.

You say which one? It gets funny after that. If you want to be one that fits in with the crowd then leave the funny stuff at home.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.