Agnostic.com

39 1

How long do you think until religion is the minority on this planet, or in america

What are the predictions from the scientific community? and what are your predictions?

MichaelSpinler 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thirty or forty years ago, I remember reading an Isaac Asimov novel set in the future by a few hundred (or so) years. In it, he posited that thanks to leaps and bounds in scientific advancement, religion was all but eradicated. I think that was a real expectation by a lot of educated people in the day.

Although we do see church attendance dropping, and more younger people identifying themselves as "nones", I see a disturbing parallel trend of proudful ignorance and science denial. Where it'll end up in 50 or 100 years looks frightening to me. The Muslim population is growing in leaps and bounds, so other religions and belief systems will be outbred. (The semi-predictable numbers are quite scary actually).

All this to say, I don't think religion is going away any time soon. We're too stupid and greedy as a race to agree and cooperate on any one thing, religion being the most divisive of them all.

Really? Muslims are outhumpin the Catholics?

@Nemosson Worldwide the muslims outnumber all other religions including Catholics.

@Nemosson - from what I read, yes. I'll see if I can find the web page...

@Nemosson - Yep - good ol' Wikipedia. [en.wikipedia.org]

@Hominid yessir I believe ya. It's just in my youth in Nebraska I was exposed closely to several Catholic families and even then could see their strategy was to outbreed the other religions. At least four kids in each if not more.

Singing chorus of "Every Sperm is sacred....".

I used to believe 20 years. With the resurgence of folks who feel it should be part of politics - I'm not sure. I always hope reason will prevail one day. Less wars too!

Agreed! Would love to see a President in office who is atheist. Seems Europe is ahead of us in the Atheism Department. And I hold hope we'll be along soon. (They seem to have way more people "out" than the US does).

In America, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime I'm 51.

Another 20-50 years. Christianity at least.

Never. Truth has no particular power and demographics is destiny.

Fact: religious people have more kids.

I don't mind being on the losing side if I am right but I am under no delusions that it makes any difference to anyone but myself.

Perhaps but don’t assume religious people won’t “convert” to agnosticism or atheism. I grew up religious but now I am not. I’m hopeful especially as society becomes more global the question “does it make sense that my one religion is right while every other hundreds of religions are wrong when none of them give evidence so you can never know for sure?”

Whenever aliens with obviously superior knowledge show up for more than a flyby or a quick anal probe.

Good one! LOL

With the resurgence of old religions making foot ground I would say never. I think they will just cycle through as a whole. I firmly think that most of the populace can't accept reality as it is and needs something to make it ok to go from day to day with the prospect of something better later when life gets hard.

It has had a large effect but over all I don't think religion is going anywhere just going to find a new name or old one that a large group will populate to.

At the rate we are going...I don't think I will see this in my lifetime. With that said, I'm only concerned with my immediate circle. This is why I joined this website. I prefer to engage in conversation, exchange of ideas, etc., with those that do not believe in 'white bearded men in the sky'.

Nena Level 6 Jan 5, 2018

When the human race starts over because they finally kill everyone with nuclear weapons hoping for revelations and the rapture lol

Atheists and Agnostics are still the minority by a huge margin. It's not going to happen any time soon, if at all.

I think there are far more of us than get counted. How many are closeted agnostics and atheists? Just look at the clergy project, they have a lot of their members who are still active in the pulpit and looking for a way out! These are non believers.

@misstuffy That is true, but I think the count right now is like 7% for atheists and agnostics. Totals for atheist/agnostic/none add up to about 23%. Even if you throw in those who remain silent about it, it probably still doesn't come close to those being religious. It's either pretty accurate or there are a whole lot of people scared of repercussions from believers. So I guess it's almost impossible to accurately gauge.

@Piece2YourPuzzle No one where I live knows I am an atheist, just family and my closest friends, none of which live close to me. I AM afraid of retaliation from the local religious contingent so until I move I must remain in thr closet. I live alone and have to go to work on a daily basis and I already have one newcomer holyroller across the road who has stated her intentions in making me move. I won't let her walk all over me and she, being a politicians daughter is not used to that.

@misstuffy Whenever a religious conversation comes up I tend to remain silent for the most part. There seems to be a hostility that religious people have for non-believers. How can a "person of God" have so much hate in them? I mean I know the bible is contradictory in a lot of ways, but it seems they pick and choose when they want to show compassion etc. and when they want to pull from the more dark parts of the bible and its' teachings.

@Piece2YourPuzzle When she moved in she came strutting over here parading her religion like a badge and quoting the Bible trying to test me to see if I was a Christian or not. I can't remember the verses but I was able to quote a verse that contradicted hers, I am sure she looked it up when she got home and i am also sure she doesnt realize/understand that most Atheists have actually read the Bible cover to cover,s omething most Christians have not. Nope, she moved down here from a City and doesn't like the smell of actual livestock or other issues associated with them.

Never their religion thrives off of hating other religion. To this day I see kids reacting the hate their parents teach for those who are ungodly as they call it. Nothing but hate or fake love is what O get from my family.

In the case of Christianity at least, I wonder if perhaps the truly religious - as in those who genuinely believe everything in their holy book and that they will be judged after death rather than those who simply say they're religious and god-fearing for the sake of appearances - are already the minority. The way a lot of them behave certainly suggests so.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

I don't know, but it isn't happening nearly fast enough.

Interesting question. I think the indoctrination of the young needs to cease in order to knock it flat. Unfortunately, the more zealous sects - particularly the fundamentalists - appear to be not only surviving, but thriving. This is a dangerous road, I think, because religion will get more and more extreme as the more moderate congregations fade away. When I say extreme, you can also read that as dangerous.

I cannot say the exact time/year, but I firmly believe if and when humanity makes contact with or discovers intelligent life on another planet, at the very least the 3 Abrahamic religions would fall apart, as life on other worlds is a concept that is not supported by their holy texts. People would be able to see beyond a doubt how fraudulent religions are.

@MichaelSpinler Didn't see that movie...will have to put that on my viewing list, thanks for letting me know about it.

Religion will be done by 2070 and then a buncha followers are gonna feel lost and we're gonna see some major upheaval.

Goat Level 5 Feb 27, 2018

One thing that would hasten the demise of religion, in the USA, at least would be to tax church properties and abolish income tax deductions for contributions to religion. If you want to have organized religion, do it on your own nickel.

It'll be a while longer, probably more than a hundred years ...

Maybe we will get lucky and find a Class M planet and a propulsion system to get us off this world and to a new one and lets face it, the religious science ignorant most likely won't be brave enough to leave this planet for the unknown. It will be our nonbelieving science minded descendents that will create a new society without religion holding back scientific advancements.

I think that officially from last census religion already is the minority in my country. New Zealand. It certainly is no big deal here.

NZVee Level 4 Jan 5, 2018

I feel at least 25 years for America to have religion in the minority. It is about 25 percent "unchurched" now so I estimate 1 percent reduction every year so it means 25 more years toward 50 percent of all people having religion.
Americans are about 70 percent Christians from 2014 survey by Pew Forum. But it also showed people up to 34 years of age are 56 percent Christian. It looks like new generation is quickly reducing the percentage of who are religious people.

Never.

skado Level 9 Jan 5, 2018

be at least a few centuries in the world.... america will come dragging behind.

Been to China a few times, they do not talk about atheism. Unless it is a secret fight club. Rule no. 1 don't talk about the fight club. Yet, for most part China ignores Religion like Agnostics.

Since non believers is the fastest growing group in the world. Religion won't be the minority in my lifetime. Yet it has lost already much of it's superior Supernatural delusional powers. It will stick around like phony social clubs. For fear of being cast out or dying like a lone wolf. Better to form other kinds of social outlets.

Last Supper ha-didn't think Holy Rollers got tatoos-only heathens LOL.

Interesting question... I think it will be 500 years or more. That is because while the great awakening has begun, humans as a population are slow. The next 20% will come harder than the first 20%

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.