Agnostic.com

39 1

How long do you think until religion is the minority on this planet, or in america

What are the predictions from the scientific community? and what are your predictions?

MichaelSpinler 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The planet is almost impossible to guess. Countries can change attitudes quickly. Look at the LGBTQ movement. Hopefully the extreme hypocrisy taking place in government at this moment will wake enough folks up and cause something similar. I can hope anyway.

gearl Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

@VirginCotton I don't really think the lgbtq movement is a fad anymore than the women's movement or civil rights. In any group there are people looking for attention but the majority just want to be treated equally. They may in fact merge with the population and folks may stop paying them any attention when they have the same rights as everybody else.

Sadly that will never happen.

It won't happen in our lifetimes... unfortunately.

Well, Stephen Hawking says we've got about a hundred years to find another planet to live on or we're done... So I give religion a little over a hundred years.

Unfortunately other countries are becoming non believers at a faster rate than this country ,but when it comes to religion Muslims are the worlds fastest growing religious group.

As much as I'd like to be optimistic about the replacement of religion and faith by science and reason, I think some nonsense will be prevalent in society for the foreseeable future. I do think formal, organized religion is on the decline, which is great news, but I don't think it's giving way to non-theistic logic in high enough percentages.

Things seem to happen in cycles. Religion is no different.

Right now the western and islamic world is teeteting on the precipice of a dark age like none it has experienced since the middle ages. Meanwhile, the Asiatic world is entering an age of enlightenment and growth in the areas of science, technology, art and philosophy.

To those of you who are looking forward to a day when religion no longer exists, I hate to break it to you but that day will likely never arrive.

You know I reckon there must be a graph somewhere, someone must have researched this, I guess we have to look at the different religions as that equation or graph will surely be different for Christians and Muslims just to mention two of them.

Not in this century. We still have and are still creating too many emotionally needy people who will find or create some total system ideology.

While it's declining in America and developed countries, religion is growing big time in poorer nations with higher birth rates. Very discouraging but also predictable that the growth would happen in places rife with poverty and lack of education.

I am not convinced that Religion will ever become a minority. I think that each individual religion will shrink to a minority, but I am pretty sure that a lot of humans will have some sort of "spiritual bent".

I don't think religion will ever go away, but I can see the big players dissolving and "religion" evolving (ha ha) into something more about energy and love.

I am not sure that the planet has long enough for that to happen, global warming, loss of agricultural soil, degradation of water resources and habitats loss are are bringing us to an evolutionary bottleneck where survival of the species will become the priority. In the past such crisis induced bottlenecks have result in one of two things the spread of faith or the loss of it. The answer as to which way it goes may depend on who holds the power at that crucial time. As a clue you may want to look at which group is out breeding the other; there is a reason that the Abrahamic religion want there followers to be fruitful and uneducated.

Planet, who knows. America 20-30 years.

Not living in the bible belt, I'm probably more hopeful that religion is going away. Think I read that here in Oregon, the percent of "nones" is getting close to 40%. And family wise, all 6 of my kids are unchurched. And only one of 14 grand kids goes to a church (he's 25 and searching).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.