Agnostic.com

11 3

Hello Australians - I need your help!
I'm leaving on Monday for Australia for 5 weeks to visit my son who emigrated last September. His wife is a full-on bible quoting christian, and she's managed to persuade him as well (I still can't believe it). They live in the middle of nowhere, a 10 hour drive from Brisbane, and I notice on his FB page that all of his new "friends" are connected to the local church. I totally understand that joining a church is a super way of gaining a new social network and a bunch of "friends" but my problem is this - How do I deal with them? It will be the first time in my life that I will be surrounded by a christian majority and I don't know how to react. Is it normal and accepted to be an atheist in the outback? Do I risk getting lynched? Do I tell people I'm an atheist? Help!!

GoldenDoll 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lived in Australia for twenty years; it’s fantastic. Great people. My last house was in Queensland, on the coast at Burleigh Heads. I’m thinking of going back. I live in Nashville, Tennessee and I have a summer home in UK, in a 12th century market town, called Newark. / Queensland is NOT the outback, it’s tropical and lush. The further north you go, the further you get into the rainforest. Aussies are very easy going; I’ve never met any Aussie church nut-jobs.

Sorry Chris - I seem to have met all the evangelical church nutcases in my short time here in an utterly boring mining town in the middle of nowhere, including, unfortunately, my lovely son. Churches everywhere ("blocking out the sun" from a 1930s poem I studied at school), adverts on the highway proclaiming "58 adoptions, 58,000 abortions" with a picture of a fully-formed baby in the womb. YUCK. I've escaped on my own & am now being a tourist for 2 weeks.

So here I am a week in & this area is riddled with religious groups. I've already had 2 huge religious explosions from my son. He has obviously been primed by the wife who sits with a smirk on her face as he rants at me. I'm over my shock now & keeping as quiet as I can, but I'm ready to do a bit of travelling on my own now I think! I'll be flying from Emerald back to Brisbane - what shall I do with myself for about 10 days?

Fantastic that you’re escaping the church nuts. Definitely head for the sun and the sand on the Gold Coast. You’ll love it. Miles and miles of the finest beaches in the world, from Surfers Paradise in Queensland, right up to Byron Bay in New South Wales.

@christhepiano Yes, I'm having a great time as a tourist. Being allowed to do stuff with animals which would be met with horrified stares in England (holding a koala), but uncomfortable about the "tourist sideshow" the indigenous people have become (some righteous anger bubbling under the surface there - let's see what happens), lovely nature, even though EIAITTKY (everything in Australia is trying to kill you)! I appreciate it.

It is hard to say without actually knowing what people are like there, how open they may be etc.
But my gut feeling would be to at least avoid the whole matter as much as possible. Go along with their odd ways like you would when visiting a tribe in the middle of the jungle for the first time. You are not going to stay or live there, so it's your son's problem, not yours, innit?

@GoldenDoll messaged you.

I hope you will have a wonderful time in our country. In a big city you would have no problem, and I hope that would be the case in most outback towns, but I've never lived in the outback, so I can't be sure. Other people have made good suggestions. Enjoy your stay!

Find something else to talk about. Sports is a great way to bond.

Mmmm - I'm not very good at sports - but I suppose I could ask them what they like! I'm just worried I'll find miyself in the middle of a christian gathering and be unable to form a full sentence!

@GoldenDoll Cattle/sheep, rain (always a good topic), keep away from climate change that can get really touchy. Australian wildlife, we're proud of our lethal menagerie. Snake stories are usually a winner. Beer if you drink it (location defines which brand of nasty lager is "good" ). Road conditions, how appalling the [New South Welshmen (cockroaches) Queenslanders (cane toads) etc] are. NB anyone south of the Queensland New South Wales border is a "mexican". Ten hours from Brisbane can put you around Barcaldine (near desert inland) or Mackay (coastal). Attitudes will be a bit different in either place but the folk in Barky tend to be a lot quieter about personal belief.

@RobAnybody Thanks so much for the suggestions - I shall write them down and practise them on the plane!

If asked, I would simply and politely say, "I do not talk about religion." If someone persists, I would either move away from that person, or say, "Excuse me. You are pressuring me, and I feel that is disrespectful." If anyone wants to get nasty, tell them, "You are being unchristian."

Yes, I might do that if I was on my own and in America. But I will be in Australia (which is why I'm trying to find out what it's like there specifically) with my son whom I love very much and I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

Hi guys, could I just have comments from people living in Australia who have experience of how religion is over there? Thanks to others who have commented, but I know how I'd deal with this in UK and America if I was on my own.

Just be your fun loving and sociable self. You don't have to proclaim your atheism, if it would make you or your son uncomfortable, but if asked, you don't have to hide it either. Just say that after many years of study you are a non believer and let it go. If really pushed, take a deep breath and go as far as it is comfortable for all of you. Remember that your son has made a choice and has to live with it and his wife - you don't.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 6, 2018

Thanks for your answer - it's very thoughtful and insightful comment. That's the way I was thinking of playing it - having him in my life is more important than making a point about atheism. But I'd really like to know how it is in Australia, so hopefully some Australians will comment in the morning. They must all be snoring away happily at this hour.

@GoldenDoll We tend to be much less confrontational (although Lyle Shelton is trying to change this) about matters religious. I argue politics extensively with the pastor who is step-father to MVSS-O. We don't encroach on religion. Tacit truce, even though we both hew very tightly to our own views. I've found this to be true of the bulk of my religious acquaintances. We have inherited the British hatred of "making a scene" so unless you actively seek out a confrontation it's unlikely that you'll be challenged. Unless they're drinking rum, then all bets are off.

@RobAnybody Oh that's reassuring. I'll be trying to keep my head down as much as possible - I'm just scared my reactions with jump out if they say anything like "we'll pray for you". I read up about Lyle Shelton and I've seen his views on some of my son's friends' FB pages, which is what worried me in the first place. I can't seem to find what MVSS-O is though - I'm guessing signifant other is in there somewhere but I've not seen the abbreviation before (I like to learn a bit of the language before I visit another country!)

@GoldenDoll "We'll pray for you" is an odd thing to say in Australia. It would get odd looks were it coming from anyone but a minister. MVSS-O = My Very Significant Semi-Other. It's complicated.

@RobAnybody Well good about not saying the praying thing. Phew. And as for the MVSS-O, yep sounds complicated. Can I use it in Australia or did you make it up specially? I had it down to My Very Special Significant Other but could just as easily been Most Vehicles' Seats Smell Odd.

I would just play it as it comes (doubtless many thoughts will cross you mind meanwhile) Declaring that you are an atheist will cause some people hackels to rise and other condescendingly try to convince you or convert you to their way of thinking. Some will remain quiet and other will feel challenged and the need to defend their beliefs may be voiced. I would not allow myself to be drawn into an argument with a group of religious people who are only seeking confirmation of their beliefs. Let's face it, they are not seeking proofs...🙂

I'm really looking for people with experience of religion in Australia, but thanks for your answer.

I'm in a very religious city rn. It's hard, but I manage. My co-workers know I'm an atheist.

Do you live in Australia?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13142
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.