Agnostic.com

12 6

LINK Woman Dies After Trusting "Black Salve" Fake Cancer Cure Over Real Medicine

Some took issue with my stance on homeopathic "remedies". This story illustrates why I am comfortable on my high horse, maddened by those who put themselves or those in their care in harm's way due to . . . And let's be blunt here . . . Arrogant stupidity. As for the men and women who sold this, I have nothing but contempt.

Credulity kills, and those who prey upon the gullibility of the desperate are loathsome.

NerdyOkieDude 7 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Surely by now someone has noted that she was also trusting in "her God who was healing her".

Religious and psuedo-medical quackery together. I tend to think religious belief does make people more vulnerable to this type of balderdash, but I may be wrong.

Yup. My family member when the BS natural route thanks to some fcker that sold a book saying cancer treatments actually causes more cancers or causes cancer to spread within the body. She is dead now. She had one of the most treatable types of cancers and if she had done a second round of chemo I think she would be here now. Oh well her superstitious thinking and religious reliance on god to "heal her" fckd her over good. She is dead now. Classic Darwin Award

People who sell that shit should be in jail for homicide.

arnies Level 7 July 21, 2018

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

@Countrywoman If you sell stuff for "health" and it KILLS people or EATS OFF THEIR FACE... should face charges, right?

how does one come to the conclusion that science trumps religion and yet it doesn't trump health care? Such ignorance makes my head swim

She made a choice of treatment and died. That’s on her.

People taking , "real , " medicine are dying every day , all the time .

@NerdyOkieDude A woman dies , taking a fake medicine , for cancer , and it's a big noteworthy story . Thousands of people are taking chemo for cancer and dying daily , but that's no big deal , because the medical establishment tells us that's the proper thing to do . Chemo may work for some people , but it's a horrible treatment with a lot of nasty side effects , and a lot of patients die anyhow , even after surviving it . Sometimes , simple treatments work as well or even better than the treatments advised by the medical profession . The medical profession is told by the pharmacies what to advise the patients to use . Of course they advise the doctors to use the products they are selling . And sometimes , what the pharmacies are advising are not in our best interests . Examples : In my preteen years , my Mother took me to a dentist , who decided I needed fillings . My brother felt we were getting a lot more fillings than we actually needed and refused to go . I was obedient and went . For decades afterwards , my gums were sore , swollen , and bleeding ( and itchy ) , because , the dentists told me , I wasn't taking proper care of them . After decades , I learned that I was allergic to the amalgium the dentists had used to fill my teeth . The , " cure , " was to have all my fillings removed and replaced with porcelin fillings . Example 2. When I was pregnant with my first child , my doctor recommended I take a pill the pharmacutical agent had just told him about to prevent morning sickness . A few months after my daughter was born , the CDC made a nation wide announcement on the nightly news . that a LOT of newborns were being born missing fingers, toes , arms , legs , eyes , and even genitelia due to Thorsoamide pills being taken during the early stages of development .

@NerdyOkieDude I can tell my own medical experiences , which affected a massive portion of the population , which you can easily check out online for yourself , and you think you can intimidate me by using big words and stupidity ? Here's another true life adventure . Several decades ago , the doctors of California went on strike . No elective surgeries were performed , only emergency procedures were done . Amazingly , the death rate in California significantly dropped for the duration of the strike . Historically , not everything that has ever been tried , has actually worked . Some do . Those things are passed on to the following generations . Some foods and herbs have had a positive effect for thousands of years . And sometimes , the medical establishment will even use those same predefined herbs and minerals to make salable medications of their own . But some things can't be patented , so they create lies about using alternative measures . My doctors have prescribed , for instance , iron and D3 pills for me . Those can be bought OTC in drug stores and even grocery stores . Same thing for less money . As far as that goes , you can cross our borders and buy medications in Canada and Mexico , which are manufactured in this country , by the same manufactures , using the same ingredients , but pay less , because you crossed the border . It's called marketing or advertising . You've been played . I don't expect to change your mind , at least not over night . I am hoping you will at least open your eyes . The thorosimide (sp) , was created in Germany in 1957 and was being used in Germany by 1958 . It was being used in England in the early 1960's. I was offered this pill in 1962 . I chose not to take it . My daughter was born with all the standard issue equipment . Many , many others were not . Not all OTC's are snake oil , some have been successfully used for thousands of years . Some produced medications , don't work , some are even harmful to your health .

@NerdyOkieDude Believe what you want to believe . You offered absolutely NO confirmed information what-so-ever . I offered information which I have had to deal with personally and is also easy to prove to yourself online . You offered no proof of any kind what-so-ever , nor did you bother to research either your position or mine . The only thing you have offered is your uneducated opinion . I'm tired of dealing with this .

@Cast1es I don't think you quite understand the difference between alternative homeopathy and medicine. Medicine has undergone stringent scientific experimentation to determine its affectiveness. That research, has been replicated again and again and scrutinated by peers before accepted. And it doesn't end there. If a new alternative is found and tested with even stronger affects, it will supercede the previous medicine used.
Homeopathy has not undergone this rigorous research. Homeopathic methods are not published in reputable science magazines because there is no empirical evidence. It is believed in by the faithful.....just like religion.

I'm very mixed about "natural medicine". Especially to the uneducated eye, a lot of it is snakeoil.

However, there is some virtue in it. Heard a story from a local health store of the owner of that store using pills with the concentrated active ingredient of turmeric in a client with cancer. Didn't cure the tumor, but did supposively help stabilize the tumor long enough until doctors got around to remove it. Can't verify it, but seems within the realm of possibility.

In non serious conditions, suppose a lot of it could at least be a placebo effect.

hearsay isn't evidence.

Suicide by incompetence

Black salve will remove some kinds of skin cancer, but that's it.

@Commonsense Probably

Being desperate,affects the persons mind,believing in "Cures" as maybe modern medicine has not tried these yet. Or maybe it'll work if I pay more money to the faith healer. Sadly,they do not.

I am a big fan of some forms of complimentary medicine, especially food as medicine. But this sort of woo-woo nonsense is dangerous.

Thank you for posting.

And yes, homeopathy is one of the older forms of woo. You did a service posting the story.

Agree. There is no such thing as alternative medicine. There's modern medical science, and there's people selling snake oil and worthless treatments.

sometimes modern medicines make situations worse like this too depending on the person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.