Agnostic.com

44 4

If you get invited to go to someone’s church, do you?

I have to be honest, for the most part I don’t go unless I really think the person is cool. Church is not just my thing lol. It’s boring for the most part and usually leave me feeling sleepy.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, Jesus Fucking Christ, no. No way way in hell. Not a fucking chance.

Or in other words; no.

JimG Level 8 July 16, 2018

I will only go to church is one of my kids or grandkids is involved. My youngest is highly vested in making daddy happy. She was married in a church. I read scripture and wasn't struck by lightening. Kinda disappointed, but. Oldest is married to a catholic, they may have their son baptized or what ever the catholics do. I will be there, but I'm no way will I bow my head.

It is interesting to people watch while the prayer is going on. You see a lot of things happening when they assume everyone’s eyes are closed.
It also can be a good time to just zone out and relax, don’t really pay any attention and nothing is in your face distracting you.

No way. It has the same effect on me as it does you, and always had up until l quit going at age 14.

It would depend on the circumstances but generally I'd politely decline. In some instances I might agree to go.

Can’t say I’ve ever been invited, I would politely decline.

If it's family or a good friend, yes but most likely would be for someones Wedding most likely, i wouldn't like being in the church but its about supporting them ,whatever the occasion might be

No....I don't!

I have, and may again.

If the person asking is important to me, and if my attendance is important to them, i will certainly consider going.

If they're inviting me to promote conversion, something i've ask straight out, the answer is no.

But for celebrations like a baptism, wedding, or Bar Mitzvah, i will attend out of love and respect for my friends or family.

I go for interests sake, if it’s a denomination I’ve not been to. Recently attended a service at a southern baptist church in Kentucky. It was fascinating and mind boggling that that many people could be so gullible. Maybe they were all just there for the music.

No, unless its in line with my New Thought beliefs. I still regret attending a Assembly of God Church years ago with with my Fundy aunt. Even though I rejected what they teach at the time, parts of it somehow seeped in and I had to consciously analyze everything I believed in to clear out the crap. It is surprising how many beliefs stick in our subconscious and effect our everyday lives even if we intellectually know they are false. I won't let any superstitions ever seep into my subconscious again. Knock on wood.

I usually ask if there will be a naked orgy. If not I pass.

I usually politely decline. Unless its my family that invites me.

No I politely decline.

No,nope, uh uh. It’s a waste of my time.

I have in the past only out of respect for my friends for a special event.

I went twice. Once to play the part of Jesus and the second time to see what others waste part of a perfectly good day on. Needless to say, I won't accept an invitation again.

I do not. My position on religion is my own, and I would never try to impose it on anyone. I expect the same level of respect from others. I also don't thank them politely.

Nope. I politely decline.

Gosh, I'm not sure. It would depend on my relationship with the person. I'm a god parent twice over and have had to sit through several baptisms and weddings, all of which have been in church. I went to those with little rancor, but if the option had been not to go, I may have taken it.

No, and never been invited. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone I know being invited to a church unless they expressed that they were looking for one.

PDF Level 5 July 17, 2018

For myself, it would not matter to me how cool the individual is...I am done with wasting my time in that manner. If they want to communicate, there are coffee shops, resataurants, parks, etc where we could meet on neutral grounds.

LB67 Level 7 July 16, 2018

I mean to type up how cool the person was or the occasion and if they were to my liking enough to go if invited.

Never have.

JacarC Level 8 July 16, 2018

Absolutely not or ever. In my travels to foreign countries i always go for art and historical interest when there are no services and if I happen on to one, will be respectful. What is the most awakening experience you will ever encounter is to wander in when their is Choir Practice and you get to hear the Organ that was built in with the Church or Cathedral you had happened upon. Go alone or stay home.

Speaking of travel, I always find it oddly fascinating to see lists of churches in hotel rooms and realizing people actually go out of their way to go to a strange church when they are traveling becaise they dint want to miss a Sunday service (not to mention seeing people in the lobby obviously going to said churches). Such a weird concept to me.

Yes I do the same thing, Greece, Rome, Paris, London, Istanbul. I've never felt any divine inspiration in any of those "sacred" spaces. I have felt something when a service is ongoing, however. Of course the services were always in a foreign language. My conclusion is that it is the emotions of the congregates that I feel. This is probably what they feel as well, not some outside supernatural force. With an open mind, it can still be a powerful experience (In my opinion).

I've done it before just because they kept asking me. I only went once though. Just not my thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.