Agnostic.com

39 4

What was your first reaction when you heard about the creation story, the fall of man and the talking snake?

I think I remember laughing in church a few times when I was little cause how ridiculous everything sounded. Couldn’t believe how any person, let alone adult believed it.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was never a believer, I was lucky to not have religious parents.
I did read the bible at around twenty just out of curiosity, and all I could think of through the whole thing was, How the fuck does any one believe this crap.

Yeah I’m glad I just had a mom who went to church occasionally but was never super religious lol. My dad on the other hand, I barely seen him go to church growing up.

I went to the same German Lutheran school and church my mother and grandmother did. When I asked her one day how come someone who never heard of Jesus couldnt go to heaven, she remarked that the story had some holes in it. So I assumed it was like a fairytale or story.

I was 0 when I first heard it, so believed the whole shebang until about 21. Thank god (Mars seems appropriate for this one) my church never taught YEC, focused on original sin or cared much about talking snakes. Even Balaam's donkey didn't talk, an angel talked through the ass.

I was perplexed, couldn't and all powerful being do it all at once. Same thing for the Ark. Couldn't whatever that is just remake all the animals.

Mokvon Level 8 July 19, 2018

Like most of us I was born into this world believing in 2 diametrically opposed beliefs: Evolution of Man and Adam and Eve, Noah and the ark and the whole bible story. Somehow, like the majority I blindly accepted 2 things that I could not reconcile.

As time passed and I prayed to a God for 35 years who never once answered my prayers I began to doubt and my logical mind set in. I know what I can see proven----Neanderthal man, Cromagnin man, Lucy etc. I don't know what is hearsay passed down through generations and the fact that there are just too many "true" religions.

I don't believe in a heaven or a hell but like people of religion I believe in being the best person I can be, passing it on to others and doing unto others as I would have them do unto me. In the final analysis isn't that what it's all about????

Figured it was an allegory.
I grew up in Florida. Snakes don't effing talk.

Me too. It seemed like fantasy. And the communion thing caused me to rebel against all rituals...

My reaction is , why was Adam so stupid as to take a bite, and why was knowledge wrong?

Hahaha! Exactly! Why was knowledge wrong. The only thing I can gather is the god of the Bible likes stupidity. Ignorance is bliss!

That it would be sooooooo fucking sweet if snakes could talk.

IKR!

It was like another episode of the Flintstones.

I don't recall actually but it probably went something like this what ?? These people are that stupid

My first thought was, "That Bitch." ☺

I thought it was absurd and couldn’t believe people believe it.

It seemed pretty mundane to me. Here we go again, I thought - a guy fucks up, turns around and blames a woman. It looked like everyday crap to me, even as a kid.

As a toddler, all Bible stories (which were told to us before we could remember) held equal sway. When you are first reminded, at the tender age of less than 3 years old, that the Bible is God's holy book, and to ever question it would be the worst thing you could possibly do, your mind is softened to accept whatever is in it. Sure, we can laugh about it now, but if you were not the product of a lifetime of brainwashing, it represents a high degree of insensitivity to question how any person could believe. Childhood victims of brainwashing have little choice in the matter. It usually takes maturity and a high degree of courage to commit apostasy.

It’s really sad and a shame when children are born victims like that. They really didn’t have a chance and take them later in life to understand the truth about a man written book.

"wait, snakes used to have legs?"

Because apparently, before the Temptation, the serpent had legs. And God took them away as part of His punishment for leading his "perfect creations" astray...and the evolutionary aspect of that was more fascinating than any of the rest of it. I was a kid. It seemed like the most interesting piece of information.

I'm was kinda dumbfounded that people actually believed in this make-believe magically bullshit but then wouldn't believe other magically bullshit. Where do you draw a line in the sand of magically bullshit! lmao

I tried to qustion it, but sister merry-margret was a pretty unforgiving person. She always snapped back at me telling me "I was on a direct path to Hell" and she had no sympathy for me. I went to a catholic school. She was my first grade religion teacher.

Wow! That’s just crazy. I’ve had people point directly in my face and threaten me with hell cause I’d refuse to live like them.

@EmeraldJewel I have been in similar situations

My parents raised me Atheist so I think it was kindergarten when I came home after doing the pledge of allegiance. I was like Mom... Who the fuck is god? And she told me (raised VERY Catholic) all the nonsense and I looked at her like.... Santa's not real either huh.....

That is a good one.

I never found it credible.

Even as a child I considered that story to be incredibly primitive and ridiculous.

As a Catholic child, I really didn't pay much attention and went through the motions. But the Bible..... what a storybook! All those battles, supernatural things, chaos and mayhem! Hard to beat, really. ;p

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.