Agnostic.com

39 4

What was your first reaction when you heard about the creation story, the fall of man and the talking snake?

I think I remember laughing in church a few times when I was little cause how ridiculous everything sounded. Couldn’t believe how any person, let alone adult believed it.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought it was made up but didn't pick up on the nuance, patriarchy and role in the oppression of women.

In no particular order: Why is is all Eve's fault? Seriously - magical fruit? A snake can talk? God needs to take a nap on day seven? Nothing happens unless the cosmic wizard speaks it into being? When was the beginning? Who wrote this nonsense? Is it time for lunch yet? How can anyone is his or her right mind stand in awe of something that ridiculous? What's on TV tonight? 😛 😛 😛

I found it amusing that the snake sounded so much like something else. Later on though, I realised that that was entirely deliberate - it's all metaphor, and the snake really is to be read as "penis".

I felt that apples were the reason we are not immortal.

antman Level 7 July 18, 2018

I knew it was straight-up bullshit, early on.
I was probably around 4, because that's the earliest I can recall memories.

I have always known it false. It never made any sense, and I've never understood how anyone could believe it was all true.

I was pretty young and remember I heard it and never even considered that anyone thought it was real. I thought it was obviously another fairy tale and went about my business. Later on I was sad.

I was about 5, and thought "bullshit"

I did not give it any thought. If god existed then it was just a given. It was after I realized that god did not exist that I thought how ridiculous it all was.

Flabbergasted. The nuns and the priest did not like my questions.

Same here, specially when I asked one of them why Adam and Eve didn't look like the prehistoric people I saw in my father's scientific magazines. She looked puzzled, I was 8 or 9 then.

Knitted my eyebrows and thought hmm that doesn't sound right

Simon1 Level 7 July 18, 2018

At the age of 6 and being a compliant child it never occurred to me to question my handlers. Still, I think at some level I took the story less than literally. I never was personally invested in a literal reading. But I recognized those around me at least professed to be, and I suppose I figured it was some kind of shared fiction. Let's just say that much later, in adulthood, I had no attachment to it as literally true and felt no loss walking away from it. And, in fact, felt relief.

I don't think this was the first time. But I remember being in a catechism class (Catholic brainwashing), I dunno about age 6 or 7, and heard the nun tell that story. I looked at my buddy, Joey P., and remember him grinning and saying "What corn." I remember thinking thank goodness I'm not the only one.

zeuser Level 9 July 18, 2018

I remember being a bit disappointed that people believed it was true, because it was so obviously ridiculous. Being asked to believe in it was silly, although I kept my opinion to myself.

Denker Level 7 July 18, 2018

I can't remember the first time I heard it, but I know I feel like I had always believed it. It was just taught from birth I think. Get em while their young.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.