Agnostic.com

22 8

Any other Shakespeare fans here?

Looking forward to seeing Hamlet tonight at an outdoor venue. With my daughter of course. She was raised on theater.

It's listed as a classical production.
Because Hamlet is so alive today in it's use in common language and references it's one that I consider important.
I also adore the irony so beautifully showcased in it's story.

Do you have a favorite Shakespeare play?

AmiSue 8 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to do a lot of Shakespearean theater and actually belonged to a regional touring company years ago. This photo was from Macbeth...

My favorite? When I played Viola in Twelfth Night....probably also my favorite play...

i was thinking of judy dench, must be quite exierating be in a play of his

I once saw a production of The Taming of the Shrew at the RSC, so that has a special place in my heart. Otherwise Hamlet and King Lear are the ones I’m most familiar with.

PenLOP Level 7 July 18, 2018

Yes..yes..yes!

But if the while I think on thee..dear friend, all losses are restored,...and sorrows end.

I would choose king Lear..Macbeth...for starters..

@AmiSue

You and I are going to get along just fine..?

That's so cool! Hope you both have a great time.

I love Shakespeare. I can't pick just one play as a favorite.
Really like The Taming of the Shrew, and Macbeth. Hamlet and the Merchant of Venice are also favorites.

@AmiSue Merchant isn't pleasant, but it's just got so much substance to it.

I love hamlet, but I love to read any of his work. I find it flows really well and it has always come naturally to me. I was one of the only kids in school that had no trouble reading his plays. I even had the good fortune to watch a production of Romeo and Juliet at the Globe theatre in 2004, it was amazing.

I love Shakespeare! We are lucky here in Orlando to have an amazing Shakespeare theater. They perform many different plays along with Shakespeare (gotta pay the bills), and some of their staging includes different takes on the plays, like Much Ado About Nothing (one of my faves, I am partial to the comedies) set in a 50s motif with poodle skirts and such. Or (not Willy S but similar genre) The Lion in Winter as a black box production. Simply wonderful. My true fave and guilty pleasure is A Midsummer Night's Dream, also staged by Orlando Shakes (as it is known) traditionally and in other really cool ways over the years.

Verily, yes!

The first play I had to read was "Othello", and it is still my favorite.

I'm a huge Shakespeare fan. My favorite is the Scottish play (Macbeth), but I really like Richard II also.

LEPeff Level 8 July 18, 2018

We enjoy Hamlet & Othello done as opera, among others of his works.

Midsummer Night's Dream is my favourite, and I'm most definitely a fan of old Bill S.

(Cervantes was better, though!)

Jnei Level 8 July 18, 2018

@AmiSue One of the best versions I ever saw was performed by some New Age travellers with multicoloured dreadlocks and lots of facial piercings, set to a hardcore techno soundtrack!

Me Richard The Third was my favours

Coldo Level 8 July 19, 2018

I have a very old copy of his complete works (2 volumes, printed in 1800s) my favorites.

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players. How true. Only discovering the man. On that statement alone, he appears genius?

JB4now Level 5 July 18, 2018

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Me! I love Shakespeare's plays - Hamlet, Macbeth, and Othello are my favorites. I only one I will not watch the original 'Taming of the Shrew' but '10 things I hate about you' I love!

How about Kiss Me Kate - a great play also based on Taming of the Shrew?! SO much fun to perform and watch!

@poetdi56 that is good as well!

great stuff i go to the put up theatre at racecourse yearly to see them all

Sophomore year of high school we read Romeo and Juliet!

The Merchant of Venice. Is mine.......”The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed; it blesseth him that gives and him that takes......” (Portia). I played Portia in a school production.

@PalacinkyPDX I wasn’t considering that aspect of it, but more that justice should be blind and fair for all. Also the fact that I had actually played a part in It myself.

@AmiSue Sorry. Was looking at it from my own point of view having acted in It! Hope you enjoyed last night ‘s production.

My Taurus brother. Stunning prose. The Master. Enjoy!

I studied Hamlet for a semester in college freshman English, and it is still my favorite Shakespeare play. Of all the Shakespeare plays it has the most autobiographical elements in common with the life of someone who many presume to be the author, Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford. And of course the famous soliloquy, "to be or not to be", reveals the author to be definitely not an atheist, perhaps an agnostic.

I'm a huge Shakespeare fan. Raised on him, so his stuff doesn't sound like a foreign language to me. Is that the same for your daughter? Hamlet's my favorite. Here in Cleveland, we've had free outdoor Shakespeare for 20 years, and the troupe's getting better every year.

No shakespeare play but seen romeo and juliette on all kinds of hollywood offerings... from "West Side Story" to "Romeo must die". Not a fan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.