Agnostic.com

34 3

Dating a Theist

I have been asking around a little and I wanted to know what other people think. If I am agnostic, would dating a Christian ultimately lead to us falling apart? Yeah all relationships are different, but won't the religious aspect of the relationship get in the way? I feel that if the person was a devout believer, then they would truly believe that their partner would have to be as well, right? There is this one girl who I am interested in, but she is heavily into Christianity. I still feel like I should give it a try, since I find her to be a really interesting and cool person. What do you think I should do? Thanks!

Wesgreene831 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You don’t know unless you try. It’s never hindered my past relationships

Marz Level 7 July 22, 2018

Good luck, IMO it's setting both of you up for heartache especially since she's "heavily into Christianity". I could date a tepid Xtian, my best friend is married to a social Catholic who doesn't believe in sin and doesn't care about Jeebus.

Just go for it, you have nothing to loose.

Don't.

I have two couples that are in mixed marriages and both have been married for over 30 years. When couple is comprised of an Episcopal priest and his Wiccan wife. The other is an atheist and his Christian wife. Both couples are obviously full of tolerance and deeply in love with each other and the children they produced. Actually there also very loving of the children both wives had by a first marriage.

I have two couples that are in mixed marriages and both have been married for over 30 years. When couple is comprised of an Episcopal priest and his Wiccan wife. The other is an atheist and his Christian wife. Both couples are obviously full of tolerance and deeply in love with each other and the children they produced. Actually there also very loving of the children both wives had by a first marriage.

In my experience it doesn’t work out. Partly because it bothered me so much when my partner makes poor decisions based on superstition or religious belief. This erodes my respect and trust in the person. At the same time my questioning of her beliefs doesn’t usually go over well, because these deeply held beliefs are so tied to identity that when you question them people take it as a personal attack. I ended up having to bite my lip all the time. Of course, the more extreme the beliefs, the more they will affect daily life and decision making. It’s hard, where I live there are less religious people but alot of people who believe in all sorts of crystals, reiki, homeopathy, gods and goddesses etc.

I don't see a problem, after all Jezebel married Prince Ahab of Israel and that worked out alright for her. Right???

I would try a relationship, but if she forces her beliefs on to you, you should get out of it. If she can respect your lack of belief without forcing her belief it can work out.

Some people have had it work out in a similar situation, but it didn't work out for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.