Agnostic.com

20 3

Where do you get yours?

In the thirteenth century, King Frederick of Prussia conducted an experiment to discover what innate language people may have. At an orphanage, nuns caring for newborns were instructed never to speak around the children. They were all instructed not to touch, soothe, or coddle the infants. Bottles were propped up and changing was done with minimal contact. Unfortunately, all the babies died. What was learned was that humans require touch to survive. Even adults require continued touch to maintain sanity (think Unibomber, hermits).

As partially a dating site, some of us are single, but my question is for everyone: where/how do you get your need for touch fulfilled? (Let's keep it [relatively] clean. Lol)

EllenDale 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A pretty messed up experiment done back in the day. Offspring who receive no love and comfort cannot function in relationships normally.

How very sad, but expected.

I have a cat. I'd like the touch of a woman, but I'm still looking.

Yes we all need to be touched. I get a massage regularly along with a pedicure every 6 weeks.

I'm weird about touch. The more trust and closeness I have with someone, the more I want to touch or be touched by them. The less trust/closeness I have, the moreI dislike touch.

I am close to very few people. I avoid touching almost everyone. I'm not germophobic or anything like that, but some people just feel icky to me.

Animals, on the other hand, always get a green light.

I'm single & (unintentionally) celibate. But, I have cats (no pussy jokes allowed!), so pets help. Not the same thing, & I surely miss human, female contact. I have female friends, so I get hugs, but just not the same. I have some family in the area, ditto. So, I am no hermit, but as the punchline goes, "... the crack of dawn isn't safe!" Ah, well, hope springs eternal, I guess.

Part of why I share my home with cats.

Probably a part of why I also am active in theatre, as most folks there are very touchy-feely-huggers !
As are my close friends.

Pets, friends and friends with benefits. Sometimes a family member or two here and there.

It made me think of, and I started singing, "I touch myself!" lol

I thought the same thing lol

Same here! Great, or dirty, minds...!

Usually only from my kids, and my pets of course. My issues, I am not comfortable with people touching me except my kids.

The benefits don't derive from who touches us, but that we're touched and respond positively to it..

My friends and family are all huggy people.

skado Level 9 Jan 8, 2018

We get 'em where we can!

My aunt gives me hugs when I see her. So does my boss.

The reason he conducted the experiment was he wanted to discover the language of God. That language must be death. Touch? I've been married for 20 years I obviously touch....myself.

Thanks for the laugh.

And thanks for the input. The research I used never mentioned God. He wondered if language was hereditary from the mother or father or taught. I used the word innate.

David, LOL!

I live in a senior apt complex. I have some family that live in the complex and since it is a rather small complex I know many of my neighbors. I'm a hugger, so everyone gets hugs! So I get most of my hugs by giving. 🙂

I read an article that says this about hugs....
Actually we could live without hugs, but it would be like dying slowly, a little every day. About this, family therapist Virginia Satir said: “We need four hugs a day to survive, eight hugs to keep us as we are and 12 hugs to grow”.

Here's the link: [psychology-spot.com]

Thanks for the link. Technology luckily enables us to see what is affected by touch/hug instead of observing participants in experiments.

12 hugs to grow? I knew I was shrinking but didn't know why!

@farmboy2017 gotta get your daily hugs!!

A 20-second hug releases oxytocin in our brain. "Everybody must get stoned" Bob Dylan

DOGS!!! And my kid 🙂

I get a few hugs from humans and many from my dogs.

I gets lots of hugs and kisses from small humans.

Me too

I like solitude. Even before the internet. But need my partnered dancing every now and then. The old mating dance of old.

My dog and cat. Occasional dates. My velvety purple throw.

Im not quite sure inanimate objects count xD

Hmm. If that were true, I must be a high functioning zombie. 😛

We need less as adults. We get it through handshakes, a nudge, a pat on the back, a tap on the arm. I believe complete absence of touch for a long period of time (years) would be harmful to our health.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.