Agnostic.com

20 1

Is there a purpose in living?

If not, Iโ€™m willing to take risks and do things I havenโ€™t done. I was usually the shy goody two shoes who was too scared to get into trouble because of the consequences and what my family would say. But if the only purpose of life is just to live it, well... I might aswell just... live it. PEEEEAACEEE ๐Ÿ˜‰

bacastro 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This question of the meaning of life.ln literature humanities can fill an entire library. There is only one true creator in my opinion. You can actually truly see the creator. All you have to do is look in a mirror. For myself it is to create more life and to better everything within my influence. Unfortunately for some it is to ruin and take life.

Life is to short to waste

Marine Level 8 July 28, 2018

Do you really need a purpose?

Find your purpose. But ultimately it is to pass knowledge.

Mokvon Level 8 July 23, 2018

Purpose is an artificial construct. I'm assuming that you are trying to figure out what purpose you have without religion. It doesn't matter. You are powerful. You are linked to the the entire universe in incredible ways that we are just beginning to understand and it isn't magical but it is wonderful. You are made of energy that cannot be destroyed only changed. You are made of the stuff that was formed in the crucible of a giant star that exploded with such force that it blew out its center thousands of light years away. You are a random chance on a random planet but you are also a way for the universe to be able to understand itself. You are special and yet should be in awe of your insignificance because the universe is incomprehensibly large, strange and complex.

Live your life. Make your own purpose. Give others your light and shine brighter together.

CK-One Level 6 July 23, 2018

better than the alternative

weeman Level 7 July 23, 2018

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." - Stephen Hawking

Yes. The purpose of living is to eat and shit. Then to make little people who eat and shit. They grow up eating and shiting just to make little people of their own who eat and shit. It's a vicious cycle.

Spag84 Level 6 July 23, 2018

Live like to the fullest. Don't be too crazy though as you can die. Live in the moment and enjoy every bit of it!

There is no provable purpose for life. But that does not mean 'go forth and be stupid.'

You will regret much. So, do things you might regret, just in case they aren't.

JacarC Level 8 July 22, 2018

IMO, completely subjective. Whatever you decide!

It is what you decide it is.

tioteo Level 8 July 22, 2018

As trite as this sounds 'If you argue for your limitations then they will be yours to keep' or as Shakespeare put it succinctly 'To Thine Own Self Be True.'

Your purpose in living is whatever you decide it is.

Yes . The purpose is not to die

Don't go crazy, now! "Moderation in everything", as my dear old Daddy used to say.

Dad would be so disappointed!

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country," President John F. Kennedy said in his Inaugural speech. His words hit me right in the center of my 10-year-old chest.

I got a Master of Public Administration degree because I get the greatest reward from doing work that helps other people.

Since 2006, I have volunteered as a college mentor, helping low income, minority high school seniors write essays to apply for college and scholarships. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

With three young women I mentored, I hiked Icicle Gorge trail in June 2018 for four miles. From the left, Elisabeth and Tammy plan to become medical doctors. Teresa is studying to become an accountant. All are first-generation students.

These are remarkable young women. It was great to see them!

Elisabeth just graduated from Gonzaga University, WA. She graduated without any loans. Renewable scholarships, financial aid and work-study covered tuition, books and lodging for her bachelor degree.

While in college, Elisabeth volunteered as a mentor and tutor for elementary school students for three years. She is taking a year off before applying to medical school. In Oregon, Elisabeth will be a Jesuit volunteer, helping dying people in hospice, as well as their families.

"I love kids," Elisabeth said. She plans to became a pediatrician or family doctor.

Once you are about to die... you will find out!

Hey! Wasn't that a James Bond movie?
I'm pretty sure you played the villain in it.
๐Ÿ˜‰

@bigpawbullets All I know is I didn't get paid... all bond girls get paid and got their 10 minutes of fame or at least used to, now bond can't even defend the queen from trump.

Yes a biological, evolutionary imperative.

t1nick Level 8 July 22, 2018

@nosferatu_cat. I disagree. Evolution has a very definitive imperative. But it decribes multiple ways a species can arrive at it. And the outcome can look different from species to species.

@nosferatu_ca. far from random. Just because we don't always recognize which process had the dominant affect does not mean that there are not strict physical laws that govern the processes. There is a random factor at the genetic level. But is just one process and it is governed by physical laws as well.

Life has a purpose if you give it one. ?

KatieO Level 5 July 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.