Agnostic.com

25 3

LINK 11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence – Friendly Atheist

11 year old college grad wants to get a PhD in astrophysics and prove God is real...

DGJ0114 7 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hormones will kick in soon.

Poor kid is in for a great big disappointment.

Mokvon Level 8 July 23, 2018

The world is still a wonderful, curious and perhaps even a bit mystical for most 11 year olds - regardless of academic achievements. He should follow whatever path his intellectual curiosity leads him down. Would love to get follow ups on this young man - it will be interesting to see what he "discovers".

Bertrand Russell attempted to do this with mathematics early in the twentieth century. I think he thought he succeeded, for a while.
Loads of people have thought they had found proof, but they were all mistaken.
The most often cited example is the eye, as it is thought too complex to have arisen naturally – but natural selection is able to bat away such arguments. The vagus nerve of the giraffe is often dusted off and wheeled out on such occasions to show how unlikely a creator is.

I never cease to be amazed how puerile the whole literal 'God made everything' mentality is. It is as practical as building a train set. Great fun but don't spend your life on it. And do you know, that signal box man hasn't waved to me once. He just stands there like a dork expecting something to happen. Ah, I know, I'll breath life into him and see what happens...

This is good... The longer he finds nothing the stronger our point is.

Big disappointment ahead!

Great! By the time he's ready to get his driver's license he can be wrapping up a doctoral dissertation on doesntmatter.

lets hope he doesnt waste his obvious talent

weeman Level 7 July 23, 2018

He wants to use science to prove mysticism?

Leo716 Level 6 July 23, 2018

There are plenty of people all the way to the top in the physics world who do very well despite being magical thinkers through and through. The ones who cling to Einstein's broken theories of relativity illustrate that more than well enough - being rational is not a requirement.

Have at it, I'll wait.

College grad at 11? That's some serious accomplishment. He knows already what a PhD is and wants to pursue? Great !! Now, as far as proving God's existance, he will eventually become old enough to change his mind set. Regardless of his accomplishments, keep in mind he is 11

He's simply saying things that he has been taught/indoctrinated with in his parents' house... Once he is given the freedom to think on his own and make his own decisions he may very well come to some different conclusions.

Well, that'll be a dead end career.

If he can do it, more power to him and he will be the proud recipient of the Nobel prize and become the most famous person in human history. Most all A-theist say that if some evidence and proof can be presented, we would change our mind. I am prepared to wait and see for the evidence and proof. Until that time, meh.

@jlynn37 I'm sure he will try his damndest to succeed where literally everyone else has failed. I don't hold any hope for it though. Because he's going to fail to find anything at all. There is no other option.

@Kafir I agree completely.

Oh, what a disappointed person he will be one day.

Best of luck to him. I predict success in getting his degree, failure in his goal of using astrophysics to prove god.

Greater minds than his have tried to prove it. It's not going to happen.

He's young and still believes in fairy tales and imaginary friends. He's trying to reconcile his brain and knowledge with the brainwashing of his family/social group.

He will eventually get up the nerve to declare he's an Atheist.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Bit of luck a some uni life will sort his head out ....nothing like a few years of sex ,drugs and rock n roll to make someone grow up

Simon1 Level 7 July 23, 2018

@archer5691 lol

Not everyone fits your mold. I am 80 years old and have never done drugs, I never listen to rock-n-roll, but sex was my thing (notice the "was", nothing lasts forever), and I feel pretty grown up. Your mileage may vary.

let's hope at age 11 he is not engaging in sex and recreational drugs. As for rock and roll, have at it.

Good for him. Good thing he's so young, he'll need the time.

Good on him. At least he's got a goal to drive him.

One should not have an a priori goal in the quest for truth and knowledge. Let the facts tell you.

Probably best not to tell that to an 11 year old. Leave it until he's 84 because he will have cracked it himself by then!

We came from somewhere. There is a creator. As an atheist my problem isn't with the existence of a being but with the belief system attached to him/her/it. That's truly what bugs us yes? He might be able to prove the existence of god, hell, he might even find the bones. How does that change how the world thinks if he can't prove justification of said belief?

A creator? A creator assembles pieces to form a whole. Intelligent design is obviously not in motion. Evolution is not sentient. Therefore, no creator. We came from a natural process. The laws of nature. Fundamental forces shaped us. Stars had to be born, live for billions of years, and die for us to exist. There is no creator.

By the same logic a creator would need to be created by it's own creator, etc etc. Unless you're happy to assume an infinite number of creators with nothing better to do with all their power and wisdom than create a creator, the alternative is that the first creator just appeared out of nothing for absolutely no reason. If a creator could materialise from nowhere, then so could a lesser being such as a universe. If we ever discover the fossilised bones of some proto-god you can be sure they were created and buried by some disillusioned 16 year old college drop out.

@Salo The debate will be ongoing. We came from somewhere. We're here and how we got here is truly insignificant. Our concern is where are we heading? Agree?

@IAJO163 from a scientific perspective I'd say we have a lot to learn from the past that'll help us with the future. Spiritually speaking, yeah who gives a rats ass!

@Salo the problem is we have a lot of past to learn from and we haven't yet so...not tooooo hopeful!

It's sad when religious people think they have figured something out no one else has thought of.

Like the people who call into atheist radio shows claiming to have proof against evolution that no one ever thought of before. If they had that they should call biologists to confirm their nobel prize.

I hope the kid makes some great contribution to science, and that he quickly realizes the world is bigger than he thinks it is.

Maybe instead he will find our alien overlords/exterminators or horrors from the cold stars who will devour us all!

Quarm Level 6 Nov 6, 2018

I prey he puts an end to all this religious nonsense quickly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.