Agnostic.com

32 12

I'm reading Michael Wolff's "The Fire and Fury," the expose of the workings of the Trump White House. My concern is, I want to believe that things are really as chaotic as Wolff describes, that Trump is really as daft and scatterbrained as all the people around him describe. If that's the case, then I've been absolutely right to be telling all my conservative friends that Trump was the worst possible choice America could have made.

I shouldn't want that. His politics aren't mine, but he is President of the United States and if something awful happens I want there to be reasonable, smart people responding to it. The Trump depicted in Wolff's book is not that man.

And as a critical thinker, I know I need to be extra careful when I come across something that affirms my own emotional biases.

My problem is, it's tough to piece out what's real and not real from Wolff's style of presentation, which is narrative rather than journalistic. And especially if the big picture Wolff paints is accurate -- one of as much cooperation, goodwill, and mutual trust as a Borgia family reunion -- his sources all have agendas of their own, and so are inherently unreliable.

What are your thoughts?

ErikGunderson 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is more than enough evidence that the White House is chaos, even before this book came out. The huge number of empty cabinet positions alone is concerning... over a year in. That is just one example; there are many, many more.

Why do you have a reason to doubt what he wrote? Per his explanation on tv, he explained how he wrote it and presented it as it came to him. It is unfortunate that you're right in the condition of the presidency and the country. When the rest of the world starts to hate us and perhaps it affects our economy maybe the 40% of the country will wake up but I'm not holding my breath. I've heard for years that "the market hates uncertainty." Not sure it can get more uncertain that it is now and the market still rises.

lerlo Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

I have only seen/heard exurbs from Wolff's exposé; I admit I have not read one word of it. But the down side of Fire and Fury, according to some reviews, is that it is overstated and exaggerated. This plays right into Trump's agenda of "faults news".

In addition, I was a Sanders man, I did not care for Hillary however I did not even entertain Trump. But then HIllary won by over 3 million votes and that is just astounding, I do believe it is so odd, I welcomed the investigation and now see the fruit of it.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I am not guessing or just randomly saying this is what I believe, Please do not interpret this a political. I follow the investigation as I did the Water Gate one there is AMPLE evidence of Russian interference as well as four indictments resulting in two guilty pleas to date. The money laundering in also fully documented, I only go by facts and not random comments. One thing we atheist do, separate random hear say from real documented facts

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I can't comment on the politics of America but have just discovered David Wolfe on You Tube.

I have my own opinion of the man in the White House. It's similar to yours. I can't but believe what I see with my own eyes, and hear with my own ears. The words are his, and no one else's. If it comes straight from the horses mouth, I believe it. I was thinking we could do a poll on here but cannot find it.

As for the book. I have not read. I do believe being informed is highly critical in these days and in this time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.