Agnostic.com

9 3

Thinking about time travel Einstein said we could only travel forward in time never backwards this was perplexing to me for years. A few months back, I started to think about the trail every thing leaves (the disturbed molecules, atoms, space and
<anti>matter when something moves) after thinking of this knowing that the universe is in constant motion I put it together nothing could ever occupy the same space twice. In other words if the possibility existed to go backwards in time the entire universe would have to also reverse.

azzow2 9 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear you but I just can't see rain comming from the ground going back into a cloud. Or other things going back into other things if you get want Im Suggesting. Ugh!!!!

No, that is where the alternate parallel universes come into play. There was a series of science fiction books in the 80's you can go back in time to reverse or cause certain effects to the future but you can not return because the new future the time traveler produce do not include them anymore. Always found more to my liking the beauty in the irony of "The lathe of heaven". The change of the present via control of dreams.

Can you explain what you mean about not occupying the same space twice? I realize that everything within the universe is in motion, so there's a practical problem of transporting something into the past and have it appear in a spot that isn't a billion light years from earth, but that alone wouldn't preclude the possibility of going back in time — it just means you'd die a horrific death. 🙂 But I'm unsure that's what you're referring to. Can you go into a bit more detail?

The Earth orbits the sun, the Sun orbits the Black hole the black hole is not stationary it has an orbit itself, the Galaxy is always changing shape the galaxy has an orbit, the Galaxy bumps other Galaxies changing its orbit. This is not something that you can timelapse with a camera.

Sorry forgot to add a detail the The matter in the universe is made of string and superstring when that string is disturbed it fundamentally changes it remains string , it is not like a rubber band it stays string but the configuring becomes altered.

@azzow2 I see what you mean, though I'm still not sure that precludes traveling backward in time, just the ability to map a relative location. As for string theory (which is a misnomer, because it's still hypothesis with an attempt to make it theory), I don't know what part of time travel you're connecting that to. Are you saying that there would be too much disturbance at the string level and it would destroy whatever were sent back in time?

@resserts Einstein theory said we could not travel back, I was trying to figure why he had said that.

I don't think anyone any time soon will be able to create a working time machine.

Yes, but based upon that argument one could not arbitrarily travel to the future either. The universe is always in motion, and who's to say that the place you want to be isn't already occupied at the time you want to be there? By your logic, the entire universe would also have to progress. Which is what it does now. We are constantly traveling through time -- forward.

We can move forward through time, but can not see forward.
We can see backward through time, but can not move backward.

Yes, there are oddities such as the twin paradox that can be observed, but I for one do not believe that arbitrarily moving through time is possible.

But if the technology exist for time travel to the future, one can assume that one will be able to do the calculation to predict the position of a certain point in the galaxy in order to travel to that point. We van calculate the positions of the planets in this solar system, and the movement of the stars in this galaxy and the fact that the Andromeda galaxy will one day collide with our milky way galaxy.

@noworry28 -- then it's just a matter of certainty. We can have a reasonably high certainty that certain things will adhere to our predictions, similar to how we can currently predict events such as the lunar eclipse at the end of this month. However, there are certain things that are not predictable, such as which matter will end up where following a supernova, or an asteroid collision, or any number of cataclysmic events. There will always be a certain element of uncertainty.

The only way to travel back in time is if you own a flux capacitor and you can get up to 88 mph

They’ve gone ahead in time already. Albeit, it was only a fraction of a fraction of a second.

If it was possible, would I want to? Probably not.

I like how The Time Machine puts it: You can’t change what happened, no matter how many times you do it over.

I also feel that the conservation principles would be violated by time travel unless the traveler swaps places with something of equal energy and mass. E( t ) = Constant and M( t ) = Constant for all t. However, information may be able to travel back in time, think X-men days of future's past.

Only time travel tv shows can go forwards and backwards. Cancelled anyways LOL.

I can't go backward and forward in my television shows because I don't have a DVR. 😟

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.