Agnostic.com

42 15

Broken foot bone. Can't hike. How to cope?

Fractured a metatarsal bone on top of my foot. Had an x-ray today.

Will try to get in to a podiatrist tomorrow. Hoping for a walking cast instead of crutches.

No more hiking for two months at least. I feel heartbroken.

"I can't believe you have been walking around with this for six days!" the nurse said.

I have a high tolerance for pain. I kept icing my foot (rest, ice, elevation). Saw a doctor today because it wasn't getting better.

Last Wednesday, 7/18, I was stacking heavy, library chairs after book club. Tried to do it one-handed. In my other hand, I juggled my purse, book and more. One of the heavy chairs slid and landed on top of my foot.

Looks like my foot was dipped in purple ink!

LiterateHiker 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kayaking. You'll be hooked. Just go with a buddy to carry it for you until you're healed up.

A friend of mine is a racing cyclist. Last year, towards the end of the road racing season, she was hit by a car after the driver decided not to bother looking for oncoming traffic when pulling out of a junction, and broke her leg. Since cycling is her lifelong passion, three months off the bike was likely to drive her mad and we all prepared for mood swings and inevitable 3am conversations about how she'd get better again and be cycling again in the near future.

Instead, she started training the rest of her body and, once the doctor gave her the go-ahead, her legs on the static bike. Not being out on the roads made her miserable, but when she started seeing results (improved power outputs, heavier weights lifted and, although she's always been in great shape anyway, absolutely fantastic muscle definition) she started to cheer up - and by December, when she was able to race in a couple of winter series events, she was in the best form she's ever had and came second in her first race back against one of the strongest cyclists in the UK. Maybe that'd work for you too?

Jnei Level 8 July 25, 2018

@Jnei

YES! I'm already planning how to lift weights without pressuring my left foot. Have been weightlifting since age 21.

Thank you for your inspiring story.

Thank you, everybody! I appreciate your support and great ideas.

"You need to mind the doctor," my friend Kami said this morning. She knows me well. As an athlete, I tend to push too hard when injured.

Tomorrow afternoon, I have an appointment with a podiatrist. Will get the the broken bone stabilized, I hope. In the meantime, icing helps.

Why does it hurt more after learning it's a fracture? Jeez. The power of suggestion.

It's like taking your temperature, seeing you have a fever, and promptly feeling sicker.

Look at this as a good thing. Now you have been given the chance to broaden your horizons and seek other enjoyable things. Ever try kayaking?

@JackPedigo
The last time I kayaked lively rapids, I almost drowned, trapped underwater under a strainer. Quickly I tried different things and finally escaped.

"You were underwater a long time," my partner said. "No shit, Sherlock," I thought.

@LiterateHiker I just spent Monday doing trail work. I must have walked several miles back and forth, up and down. We were near a wetland and lots of mosquitoes and I have the marks to prove it. I also was barely able to walk after this (but I did it again today at a different location - I will submit a posting). Point is about falling off of a bike. Get up and try again. You seem to have a high degree of physical adeptness and kayaking (sea) is not that difficult. With your tenacity you could probably paddle circles around me. Maybe you could find a double and get a partner. That is much easier than a single.

@LiterateHiker Kathleen, Here is something that might speak to you (and me - I am the end part). [gocomics.com]

Someone else mentioned bicycling with a cast. There is also seated weight training. You can do cardio weights.
You have my sympathies. I strained my MCL a couple of years ago.

If you can get to the gym, try working out with upper body, arm, and shoulder machines.

I'm sorry, I know how passionate you are about hiking. Be well soon.

Ouch, wishing you a speedy recovery!

This samme thing happened to my late partner in 2013. We had just bought a new car and were breaking it in for a road trip to S. Calif. so she drove to Seattle for her substitute job. The floor mat moved under the throttle and, being short, she had to push extra hard which put a strain on her foot. At one lunch period the kids were lining up and she was walking down the line when a girl ran in front of her and she tripped and landed on her weak foot. The same issue with the floor mat happened on the return to Lopez trip and she went to our nurse practitioner who told her it was only sprained and she needed to give it a rest. Unfortunately, it had a hairline fracture and the whole trip was made in misery. When she returned and went back to the doctor who said she had been misinformed and if the correct diagnosis had been made at first she would have been given a boot. This mistake caused a lot of problems. A quick diagnosis can make a big difference.

one thing to burn some time might be writing accounts of your experiences on the paths you've travelled.

That's what you get for reading. LOL. Hope you heal fast!

So sorry to hear it. I'm going through my own rehab (severe torn quadriceps tendon) and it is not fun.

I wish you fast healing. And I am sure you'll figure out a way to stay active. Not you to do otherwise.

@Mitch07102

I'm already figuring out how I can lift weights without pressuring my left foot. Hehehe.

@LiterateHiker As I am doing with no bending on my right leg. I can support weight. Fortunately, the woman who owns the gym I belong to has a masters degree in injury prevention and sports performance. We've already discussed how to modify the workout routines to both drive fitness and work in conjunction with my therapy.

@Mitch07102

For a week I have been doing diamond pushups and abdominal exercises. I'm nothing if not determined.

Thanks for the inspiration.

"You need to mind the doctors," my friend Kameon said in an early-morning call. She knows me well.

Sorry to hear this I know what it's like when you can't do the one thing that makes you tick and finding a replacement activity doesnt feel at all motivating. When I was told I couldn't climb somebody told me I should grow up and get into photography! But it's temporary and you need to do something, I think the best advice is from @Jnei, devote your time to something that'll be relevant when you're healed.

Salo Level 7 July 25, 2018

there's always something you can do.
Why do you hike? For exercise? or to be in nature?
If it's for exercise, use this as a oppertunity. You can get really good over the next 2 months at pushups or bench, etc. Build some strength and muscle.

If strength training isn't interesting to you, you can swim with a flotation device between your knees for more endurance, or do hand petal bike.

If you hike more for time in nature, why not do other stuff that doesn't involve the feet. Paddle boating or just sitting on the dock, or something similar to that.

@PlolyComrade

Good suggestions.

I love hiking to high alpine lakes surrounded by white glaciers and jagged mountain peaks. After dark, I look up and feel awed by the glowing Milky Way and billions of sparkling stars. We all need more low-level ecstasy in our lives.

The mountains are my sanctuary. I feel grounded and most centered in the mountains.

Since age 21, I have been hiking, running, backpacking, weightlifting, skiing, swimming laps and stretching.

Sorry. Youtube has many interesting things. TED talks are often entertaining. I just saw a documentary about dragon flies and damsel flies that was excellent.

EdEarl Level 8 July 25, 2018

With all of the hiking that you've done, you have two very important things working in your favour. You are healthy and motivated. You will be back at it in no time. I broke two toes a couple of years ago, the fourth and fifth digits of my right foot were bent directly to starboard. I learned to love flip flops and how to tread very, very carefully 🙂

I'm gonna tell ya what ya need. A man who can carry you on his back where ever you want to go. That is what you need, I have no idea how this person can be found as he would want to have more than a strong back. You could make up good jokes and insults for people like me, who think they know what you need. You could sew, you have pinking shears so you must sew or put needle to thread. I'm done.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. I hope it heals quickly and you get back on the trails soon.

t1nick Level 8 July 25, 2018

Patience........ easier said than done

@Switchcraft
You're right. Patience is easier said than done.

With injuries, I tend to rush too soon into exercising.

yep!.... hate to say it but I will: You should change your profile name temporarily to LiterateLimper. Just for 2 months. ..............sorry! I know it sucks. (wink)

Lukian Level 8 July 25, 2018

@Lukian

That's hilarious! I'll be back hiking in two months, I hope.

@LiterateHiker I try my best. Wish you a prompt recovery for you.

Errrr Hop maybe? Just gives you plenty of time to organise that amazing hike you've always wanted to do but never got round to 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 25, 2018

@ipdg77
Without me, today my female hiking partners left for a 3-day, backpacking trip high in the Cascade Mountains.

@LiterateHiker I know it's a pisser but you'll go hiking again and sooner than you think 🙂

@ipdg77
Thank you so much! I appreciate your encouragement.

@ipdg77

How did you like the photo of a pouting little girl? That's how I feel. throws tantrum

Kidding.

@LiterateHiker I think it is totally appropriate lol

Read a book about hiking? Bill Bryson, A walk in the woods is an excellent read. Mend soon.

@Davethecrow

You're right. I LOVE Bill Bryson's hilarious book, "A Walk in the Woods." Each winter, I reread it and fall off the couch laughing!

Now I'm reading, "My Wild Life- A Memoir of Adventures Within America's National Parks" by Roland H. Wauer.

That sucks. I would be upset too.

I'm sorry Kathleen. Do what they tell you so you can get back to hiking asap.

Qualia Level 8 July 25, 2018

Well, that sucks! I hope you are at lest able to still swim. That might help you keep in shape some. You may still be able to ride a bike.

Somehow, I knew when I read the post and discovered you were hiking enthusiast who also belonged to a book club, I figured if yo lived inteh U.S. you probably lived in the Pacific Northwest. So, I checked and saw yo live in WA.

That is such a bummer. I feel your pain about being forced from activities you love.

I've been nursing bruised ribs for over 3 weeks now and had to be pretty sedentary because even breathing hurt.

I hope you heal quickly and get back on the trails

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.