Agnostic.com

42 15

Broken foot bone. Can't hike. How to cope?

Fractured a metatarsal bone on top of my foot. Had an x-ray today.

Will try to get in to a podiatrist tomorrow. Hoping for a walking cast instead of crutches.

No more hiking for two months at least. I feel heartbroken.

"I can't believe you have been walking around with this for six days!" the nurse said.

I have a high tolerance for pain. I kept icing my foot (rest, ice, elevation). Saw a doctor today because it wasn't getting better.

Last Wednesday, 7/18, I was stacking heavy, library chairs after book club. Tried to do it one-handed. In my other hand, I juggled my purse, book and more. One of the heavy chairs slid and landed on top of my foot.

Looks like my foot was dipped in purple ink!

LiterateHiker 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I ruptured my Achilles, had surgery and was on my back for 23 hrs a day for 3 weeks. Took 7 months to get back on the tennis courts. Watching dr Phil helped?

jab60 Level 6 July 25, 2018

Awww, my sympathy and wishes for a full and complete recovery. Plenty of time to read now, right? And for the rest of your life, you'll be the first one to know when a storm is coming. 🤓

zeuser Level 9 July 25, 2018

Hope you are feeling better, and healing fast. Seems like some of the most vulnerable bones in our bodies are in the foot.

You have my heartfelt sympathy. Been there done that! Twice! No fun at all. Hang in there. You may be surprised at just how quickly bone heals. Perhaps now is a good time to learn something new that doesn't require you to be on your broken foot! You know something like knitting, crocheting, stamp collecting or zzzzzzzzzz. ???? Take care of that foot! 😀

Small world fell off the ladder on Tuesday and splintered my heel bone same prognosis I cannot do anything or even put any weight on the foot for 2 months I go in for an appointment next week and see the orthopedic surgeon and see about putting it back together

bugger that sucks but do listen to the advice i didnt and now my big toe on right foot is a constant source of annoyance good luck

weeman Level 7 July 25, 2018

How awful! Been there, done that. Focus on what you can do now, e.g. book club. Stay in touch with people. Plan your routes and rehab program for when you can walk again. Swim, if possible.

Good luck! It will heal.

Ouch! Sorry about that.

You work at a library . Find a few good books to read . You're on vacation for a little while .

@Castles

I don't work at the library. Instead, I'm in a book club that meets in the library.

Love reading.

😟

Buddha Level 8 July 25, 2018

Oh no,! I’m very sorry that happened to you. I don’t know much about you, but I would suggest finding something to occupy your mind to prevent yourself from going bonkers. Maybe start with a jigsaw puzzle?

Hermit Level 7 July 25, 2018

@Hermit,

You're right. Good thing I also love reading and weightlifting.

It is a drag when you can't do something you love. I'm really sorry. I hope the time passes quickly.
?

Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope that you get well soon.

So sorry Kathleen, but it will heal as you know. Abt 18 yrs ago I fell off of a roof and broke my left leg in 5 places. It healed in 3 months and I am fine now, no problems at all. The human body is resiliant. Best to you.

Learn to play the ukulele

@Lucignolo

Very funny! I play flute.

Ouch! That must be painful slow recovery. Take it one step at a time 🙂

This is why GOD invented the COUCH and the POTATO – to prevent these disasters! 😀
I hope you get better soon! xo

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.