Agnostic.com

28 12

“Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” Do you agree?

β€œBlind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”- Albert Einstein

There have been many experiments that have shown that many people will blindly (and sometimes unjustly) obey people they perceive to be an authority figure.

The Holocaust is probably a major historical example of this. If enough people revolted against Hitler- his power would have been crippled.

So, do you question authority in your own life? And, not just authority that gets a lot of public lash back (like Trump and politics). Even things that are generally respected positions like doctors, police officers, people with celebrity status, etc.

silvereyes 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel compelled to agree with Einstein. πŸ˜‰

I really do agree, and I think it's self-evident. Abdicating one's right and responsibility to think critically in favor of a supposed authority means that truth is entirely a faith-based proposition that can never been investigated or questioned. While I rely on the consensus of experts in fields that I don't understand well enough, I still look to them for clear explanations and look to others in the field to provide pushback on specious claims. Nobody should ever be considered an authority whose proclamations cannot be questioned.

Yep. This started when I was in 4th grade, openly questioning my teachers.

@silvereyes My "problem" was that I wondered and actually asked them, "why" questions. The need to know why still gets me into trouble. πŸ˜›

@silvereyes hahahahaha

by the time I was in 4th grade... my teachers were questioning my sanity and my honesty. My personality did not matched my test scores. So I had to be cheating somehow and I refused to do homework but I could draw so beautiful. A nun once called me a "Rib from Lucifer". My answer that caused detention... "In my home we call him Satan."

Blind belief is leads to insidious consequences!

Unquestioning acceptance of authority is always a bad thing. We must always apply the test of reason to what authorities say. Any authority can be wrong at times, or might have bad intent, or might be biased or prejudiced. We must never give up our independent reasoning.

my brain is always engaged

Nothing is above being questioned.Doctors are not infallible. Police officers are not always honest or unbiased. Celebrities are not even authorities (except on being celebrities).

But people are lazy and can be manipulated. German civilians were not likely being told that Jews were being rounded up and murdered by the millions. Germans were lied to and told that Jews were the enemy. All the problems were caused by Jews. So, people likely turned a blind eye even when they saw something bad happening, because something bad was happening to "bad people". Its sad, but people can be very stupid.

until they came for them. When things started getting REALLY ugly in Germany that was the thought of some who thought the Germans would not come for them so they did nothing and then the Germans came for them too. Pretty dark times. The group mentality took over out of fear.

I completely agree. I believe people become indoctrinated into so much crap and then believe it the rest of their lives. It's mind boggling.
I have questioned authority for as long as I can remember and I also believe rules are meant to be broken. I do my own thing with confidence to back it up. More people need to wake up out of their religious dream.

I absolutely do. Too often, overinflated ego comes with authority.

Certainly I do. And I expect my own authority to be questioned. Questioning authority is what makes sure (or at least provides for) that authority is not abused and the decision being made by the person or institution in question are as good and just as possible.

When you have the guts to question the non-questioners then shift focus and follow YOU!!! I've had that happen.

There is a balance to be struck here. I think Sam Harris' recent conversation with Tom Nichols about his book The Death of Expertise is worth listening to.
[samharris.org]
Skepticism is, of course, a healthy and necessary thing. There also needs to be recognition that expert consensus is also a thing and there is a line between being skeptical and refusing to accept the truth because you don't like it. Educate yourself, but do not consider your Google search to be the equivalent of a college degree. Remember that someone is typically considered an authority for a reason. If, when explaining something, they appeal to their title and not to evidence, that's obviously not okay, but....

My father taught me to believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Considering the times we are living in, he was a prophet.

Yes... loud and aggressive people make me back up. They try to invoke authority though fear or force.

Absolutely true!! When one commits himself or herself to absolute adherence to any person creed, or ideology, he or she stops exercising independent though and use of reason.

Police officers I am respectful to only because I'm not interested in getting a ticket and the only time I talk to one is when I might be getting a ticket. But I do disagree with my boss a lot. Don't like taking peoples word for things either

Always best to do with the police, as many of them aren't very bright, have no sense of humour and, if they decide you're trying to make things difficult, will make things a whole lot more difficult for you (not all of them, of course - there are a few out there who joined the police because they wanted to make the world a better place rather than just wanted power). We're very lucky in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and North America in that they can be held accountable when they go overboard, even though making sure that happens can be a long uphill struggle. Anyone else, however - question every damn thing they say!

Q1: yes, partly agree (may not be greatest)
Q2: yes, I question authority in my own life.

I don't follow or keep up with any celebrties of any kind. I just watch the movies they produce and listen to the songs they record. As well as read their books.

If they can't stand questioning then they are FIRED

I do agree.

Einstein understood.

Einstein is correct, again. He's not been called a "genius" for nothing.
I question ALL "authority". I do not respect most of those in "authority".
There isn't anyone in any position of "authority" who is any better than you, or me, or the person down the street.

I agree with Einstein. In my day to day I do question authority - I always have. I have been called incorrigable. But DAMN IT going to church just NEVER made sense. It started at a tender young age and I have not quit yet. I do respect science, some of the medical profession, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Mahre, Stephen Colbert, etc.

We've had Milgram and Zimbardo so I'll throw in Asch. Blind belief in authority has its equally ugly twin "Conformity with the Majority'.
Asch did an experiment where all the participant had to do was say which of three lines was the same length as another line on a card they had just been shown, the trick was there where 7 actors pretending to be participants and only 1 real participant in each group. The experimenter would hold up a card then then 7 actors would answer then finally the real participant. They did this 18 times with each participant. The first two times the actors would give the correct answer but 12 times the would all give the same wrong answer.
5% always agreed with the group, 25% always gave the right answer, while the rest wavered between what was right and what the group said.
So basically anytime you don't critically think about what you believe the truth goes out the window.

Kimba Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

In a situation like that I tend to lose focus and just agree to get it over with.

So, do you question authority in your own life?
At every opportunity

Blind belief is like basing your life on a mythical woman/man in the sky that will spank you for eternity.

Blind belief in anything is foolish. Examination and skepticism are the tools of the wise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.