Agnostic.com

41 8

Does anybody else cringe at the sound of someone’s saying,” Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for my sins?”

I just want to make sure it is not just me to hear someone say that. It’s like they are constantly kissing jesus’ ass for so-called sins that all took place and started with one man and one woman eating from a tree because a talking snake convinced them to do so. Leave your thoughts below and tell me what you think about this.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I do cringe. I also wonder how they can believe this while bring rational in other aspects of life.

That's like when somebody survives a plane crash where everyone else dies and people will invariably claim by the grace of God they lived it was a miracle and I'm just wondering so I guess God didn't like the other 200 people

I cringe at all of that bullshit.

Right!

Im with you on that. Anyone I hear thank you jesus I assume that person is far too detached from reality for any good to be had on my life. Im like "no thanks. Next!"

I'm not picky I cringe at all of those silly ass statements

I really kind of chuckle inside. I did quickly lose interest in a charming lady a few months ago when l overheard her talking about having Jesus in her life. I don't really like to share someone with another man, especially him. I am afraid his influence would be to strong.

Lmfao especially when he encourages people to cut off body parts to keep them from sinning.

@EmeraldJewel It is some strange shit. I figured it out as a teenager and l ain't that smart. It has to be that a lot of these folks just aren't very bright.

Doesn't make sense, does it? The people who wrote that bullshit really made impossible to believe that a act of violence could be your salvation. I don't know what they were thinking or smoking back then.

Hey hey hey never blame it on the weed

Cringe? not quite. I've come to a point in my life when I'm gripped with incredulity, that I don't bother to hide anymore, look them in the eye and say "Prove it." To date they have not. When they press me citing the bible as the irrefutable source, I tell them about Mohammed's Miraculous ride across hundreds of miles of desert in the course of a single night(I think I'm capturing the salient points). When they inevitably challenge the reality of my claim I hold of the Qur’an as my proof and point out I have just as much evidence as they do.

It's so funny how much some are willing to believe when its their repository of apocrypha. One day I was arguing with my mother(a staunch Catholic) about the validity of the claims she was making. I brought up the Mormons, a group she considers a cult, and pointed out the similar ratio of evidence to claim. My sister butted in and with great emphasis told me "Sean you NEED to think about being more open minded!" I was proud of myself because without missing a beat I responded "Have you read the book of Mormon?". And with the look of someone who had just been asked if they had ever ate raw frog legs said "No!". I mentioned I had, though I preferred the Orson Scott Card version, and asked her how I could be more open minded.

So this got a little away from me and I’m sorry, but no, you are not the only one. I know they typically mean nothing but well. They have been told from day one that they are saving you from an eternal fate of infinite punishment for a finite crime by an all loving deity. If they know your an Athiest, or anything close, I think they are offered a toaster oven in heaven as a prize.

Clupus Level 4 July 25, 2018

It's incredible how many people believe this load of crap. I sometimes think they try to impress others and honestly don't believe, which is ridiculous.

I keep waiting for someone to say to me, “Jesus paid for your sins with his blood (or life).” So that I can reply, “…for everything else there is MasterCard.”

Hahahaha!

Okay... I'm stealing that one

Priceless. Lol

As far as I know, they were not my sins.

I get this picture in my head when someone starts to utter nonsense it is like the words from the teacher in Charlie Brown all just squiggly lines.

azzow2 Level 9 July 25, 2018

It does not bother me to hear anything religious people say relating to their biblical beliefs. I know it is just nonsense and let fly right on by. However, hearing them say absolute lies about how things are is another story. e.g. "America is a Christian nation and the Constitution is founded on biblical principles".

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, -- as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims], -- and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." Treaty of Tripoli Article 11

[politifact.com]

@Clupus Thank you. I am aware of this.

That one doesn't get me nearly as much as, "God had different plans." I don't know why, but that one drives me bat-shit insane.

Oh yes!!! I especially hate it when someone says,” There’s a reason this happened.” Even though it’s a case to where a child just died, yet the adult lives of someone lived but will be forever messed up from the injury and they call it a “Miracle.”

Yes it does make cringe, including those words or variations on that theme popping up on my Facebook feed.

Fornax Level 5 July 25, 2018

Those words in and of themselves yes , do make me cringe, sounds awful selfish no matter whos is involved ,unless its a serial killer or pedophile, rapist those types of people i have no empathy for

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.