Agnostic.com

40 11

For those divorced and dating again...

How did you know when you were ready to date again? Did you have an "Aha!" moment, or did you just have a slow realization? Or did you just meet someone who sparked your interest? And how much time passed between your divorce and dating again?

For the record, I know I'm not ready to date yet. I thought I was, I tried it for a bit, and I went back to happily living under my cozy little rock. I'm just wondering what your experiences are. And maybe, just maybe, I'm starting to dream about my future.

Nottheonlyone 7 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was about a year for me. I felt like I was struggling to recover from the divorce when suddenly a friend of a friend took an interest in me and that sparked interest inside me I had thought was lost in the pain of divorce. It turned into a wonderful friendship and I started dating again. I really appreciated the fact he did that for me. I owe him one

I probably didn't date for about 3.5 years. I was working full time and going to school full time. Not only didn't I have time to date, I felt like I couldn't ask my parents to babysit anymore than they already were.

I thought i was, but was ridiculously nit-picky about everyone i met, so i took a long look and decided i really wasn't ready. Now i think i have found my soulmate...at 70!

That's wonderful!

It seems you realized you weren't ready, and have pulled back. I think the time is different to everyone, depending on their circumstances. I would say to trust your gut. After my divorce, I met someone who a truly care for, but things just weren't "right". We broke up, but are back together now. After discussing this, we determined we weren't ready for a serious relationship the first time. And now....wow. worth the wait....trust your instincts.

I was ready the minute I walked out of the courtroom. I'd had almost 6 years of marriage with almost no physical affection and increasingly less emotional attention, not to mention a spouse who openly stated she had no sex drive (but I could have sex whenever I wanted- so basically, I was invited to force myself on an unwilling participant...). It was like living with a housekeeper.

I went on my first date after about a month, have been on and off seeing different people ever since, but still haven't found the spark with anyone yet (and haven't slept with anyone).

I've gone through it twice. The first time, I was ready to date from once I realized I needed (and was committed to getting) a divorce. I wound up not really dating for a few months at least, but, even looking back, I think I was ready before it was final. The second time might have been a bit harder. But from within a couple months of knowing that the divorce was going to happen I was ready. I had a girlfriend by the time the divorce was final, which was about six to seven months after knowing that it was going to happen. In the first case, my ex had serious psychological problems, so I was quite relieved to be getting out. The second time, that wasn't the case, it was mostly a consequence of living apart for too long (she had taken a job, originally for just a year) in another country. Judging by the responses, I suspect everyone is going to have a different experience. For me, once I accept that a relationship is over, I'm ready to move on. Not everyone is like that. I don't blame people for being leery about dating recently divorced (or separated) people, but the pitfalls are the same as many other potential partners. For example, I met someone online (while in the legally separated phase of the second divorce). She was divorced and had been back together (at least once) with her ex husband. I was separated. In the first five minutes (maybe it was only 2 or 3) of meeting her in person (we had texted for several days at this point) she gave me the impression that she was hung up on her ex. She's back with him (after multiple break ups, as far as I can tell by her Facebook page). So, me, still married but separated, ready to move on, this woman, divorced for a few years and who known how long removed from (another) attempt at getting back together with her ex, quite clearly not ready to move on with someone who isn't her ex.

It’s been about three years for me since my divorce, I’ve just very recently been able to visualize dating-for me I wanted to make sure I had a good idea of who I was before stepping back out, I just felt like I kept growing and learning and finally felt like going on that journey with someone else

I'm a Widower,my last date was with my late wife almost 28 years ago,how much has changed? The internet was in it's infancy, with the dating sites getting organized,I've sampled a few, they are rife with scammers,being non religious, meeting compatible Women is not easy,as most are God loving or fearing,and I'm not going down that road.

At six weeks I'm still at the stage of being alone and stewing in bitterness. It really isn't a nice place to be and I'm hoping to escape soon.

Don't be hard on yourself. It's painful, but it does stop eventually.

How about ‘Are you ready for the other person to date’ knowing my ex was on dates and having fun was often quite hard to take even though I was happy to be doing the same.

antman Level 7 July 26, 2018

My ex jumped into a relationship immediately. And he's paying for it now. But I wasn't jealous, I knew it was a rebound thing, even if he was in denial about it.

I've been divorced about 3 years now. I started right away with some FWB friends and a couple of other sexual situations. I realized that I am not looking for a normal monogamous relationship, but I have several women that are like minded. I travel a lot for my business and I have FWB ladies in several cities. We enjoy each other's company, socially and sexually. They are not looking for a committed relationship, as their lives are too busy or complicated for that, so they are perfect for me.
I am totally honest with all of them and they seem to be with me. They are really cool women and our relationships are very open. Communication and lack of jealousy are what keeps us all happy.
One of my friends just found a partner that she is going to marry. I am so happy that she is happy. We are still friends, just without the physical intimacy.

I like my life this way.

I'm glad you found what works for you.

@Nottheonlyone That's what life is all about, isn't it.
I've done two monogamous marriages. They were what I wanted and they were successful, till they weren't.
I'm really happy that there are others whose needs don't have to fit into societies norms to be really happy.
Hope you find your happiness.

@micktoz I'm working on that part before I start dating again. Thank you.

It's been eight years since my divorce and I enjoy being single so much I now wonder how I ever was able to tolerate being in a relationship at all.

I toy with the idea of finding a ballroom dance and hiking partner when I move to Lexington, Kentucky, but I'm not even sure what gender to date. I've never met a woman who likes to do what I do, so probably it would have to be a man. Or some other gender variation.

But if I go the LGBTQ way I'd be setting myself up as target for religious wing nuts to attack, potentially putting my life at risk.

I don't know about that, but I do know some fabulous people in Lexington. My best friend lives there.

Getting as far away from the psycho as possible was my primary goal. But I had been on my own even while I was married for a long time. Being separated was a trigger for me to get out there. Well, it was a about a year of being alone and someone (an attractive younger woman) showing interest in me brought my interest into dating. It was very flattering. I liked it a lot.

But the younger woman and I were not really compatible (we're still friends) so I had to put myself out there. Online dating seemed interesting to me and I met some very nice ladies that were similar to me in age and belief (secular/agnostic) and I met one in particular who is wonderful.

So long story short, I got a little push to get out there. It took a while to get out there.

CK-One Level 6 July 26, 2018

I think I want to date, but I don't think I'll know until I do it. Been divorced 2 years now and sometimes I think I'm ready, sometimes I don't.

I have been divorced for 6 years. I feel like I was ready to date fairly soon after but haven't found anyone. Patiently seeking...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.