Agnostic.com

16 3

How capable are we of abandoning our point of view?

Velvetpaws 4 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm trying to shed all of them.

I've dropped--not replaced--a few, and it's liberating. I'm looking forward to relinquishing the rest.

if I get proven wrong I'm happy to have learned the truth

I am willing to modigy my views in light of new data or evidence, but lately I have been spending a lot more time fact checking new data on snopes.com or factcheck.org and usually find it to be false or misleading.

Everyone is capable of something.

Everyone is capable of it, but they usually have to come to the conclusion themselves. I find that whenever someone debates a person's point of view, it just reinforces their view. People feel like their entire being is being attacked and they defend it to no end.

Provable evidence is rationale to a rational being and being rational provides a high probability of the capability to change ones mind.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 10, 2018

Neither and both. It depends on the person. There are men and women who are good drivers and bad drivers.

Demonstrable and repeatable evidence. But I do understand what I believe is the real root of your question. I think many atheist people can be just as stubborn, although it might stem from frustration of hearing the same weak arguments.

However, right now I have been really struggling with popular atheist thinker Sam Harris's position that free will is an illusion. I am trying actually posit how that could be the case. Of course by that reasoning... I have no choice but to be confused since I have no free will.

There are some in the atheist and scientific communities making this claim. the idea that Sam Harris still goes out and debates religious scholars to "change their minds" is kind of absurd given the fact that he doesn't believe in free will.

@Switchmaster ya, this used to be a theist vs non-theist debate. I will read Harris's book soon. I have only watched some of his lectures on youtube regarding it. Trying to keep an open mind to new information, but the premise alone just seems absurd to me.

That depends primarily on two things: (1) the personality of the individual ( the insecure person who needs the security of a fixed and immutable dogma will find change almost impossible, and (2) the commitment of the individual to critical and independent thinking.. Over my life time I have moved from being religious as a child to an atheist position, from a conservative political perspective in my early 20s to a strong progressive stance today, in economics from a conventional to a mixed economy model.l

My main point of view is; There Is No Supernatural. I am probably incapable (short of brain damage) of changing that point of view. On other points, it depends on the amount of thought I have put into it. If I've put a lot of thought into it, it would take a lot to change my mind, but easier the less I have thought about it.

I need evidence. I'm not taking a step back after taking all those steps forward.

I think our journey to Freethinker was abandoning our view of being a believer. Would take strong evidence to convince me otherwise.

As capable of turning my head to face god the moment shows up.

That's what science is. Changing your POV with new knowledge.

Gary Level 4 Jan 10, 2018

All it takes is evidence.

skado Level 9 Jan 10, 2018

Tell that to those who believe in a flat earth.....LOL

Only speaking for myself. Can't begin to account for flat-earthers. 🙂 @ASTRALMAX

Not sure about you, but I'm pretty fierce with defending mine, but I'm not so far up my own ass I won't listen and consider reasonable points. I'm always happy to learn and I don't know everything. Having said that, I don't usually have a stance on something at all, unless I've researched it in the past...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.