Agnostic.com

36 6

Does religion interest you?

I for one am not a believer, but I enjoy studying world religions. I find that it helps me to better understand what people believe, and hopefully why. I have found that the more I study, the more I understand my lack of belief.

So my question is do you enjoy researching and studying religion as well, and why?

Malhavok 4 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What interests me is the context of the religion I study. IMO, the evidence indicates Bible stores are all contrived = allegory for purpose. For example The 10 Commandments are basically tribal rules necessary for cohabitation with a few 'you must love God and therefore the earthly authority who teaches you these things' thrown in. Context is the clear delineation between faith and rationality. Context must be added to understand what is written, not blind faith in what was written by men with an agenda. IMO religion is basically conservative politics and I have noticed many of those people tend to lie a great deal. Nothing has changed.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 10, 2018

Always found religion fascinating all types the stories are great. It’s when they are treated as fact it gets confusing

Not specifically, as a voracious reader of fiction I have better options. What I am interested in are inflection points. Where does a theist misrepresent what an atheist thinks to insulate themselves from criticism. Why are they willing to dismiss contradictory experiences in other faiths.

I enjoy learning. Religions and their evolution is something I find fascinating. Believers always claim that the 'true' word of god never changes but in fact religions and their espoused beliefs are constantly changing in reaction to society's excepted norms.

From the point of understanding cultural differences and how we arrived at this moment in human evolution and history, yes. New archelolgical discoveries are very interesting. The why would be a joy for learning new things.

Yeah. The same as folktales and mythoogy, which is all religions are.

Only to the extent that it infringes on my rights as a human, as a citizen, as a free moral agent and the rights of others for the same reasons.

Less and less as time goes by.

Nope, filled in the same category of zombie stories. I am my god in my church and that is my religion. No need for converts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14200
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.