Agnostic.com

14 4

Is it just me who thinks 99% of sexually oriented jokes are authored by men (boys)? Is it that our culture or generation of men who are insecure about their sexuality, so this gives them comic relief? Most seem to be based on ignorance and fantastic thinking. I think this because I love jokes, but don't see much humor in this kind of material, where as men do.

BrigittaCuadros 6 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There must be a joke/satire about Bubbles McSqueak, and Trump's encounter with her when Melania was pregnant. "Bubbles McSqueak" would attract a male with a 'Bubbles McSqueak type of brain'.

Brigitta- I am going to comment on something other than "jokes" first. When I watch TV at night, there 'seems' to be 99%, murder: strangle them, burn them, chop 'em up with a chain saw- anything a warped mind can think of! Hey, but there ain't none of thet thar "sex"; that might distort someone's thinking. Ya, sure! Talking about jokes, then we have the American sit-com humour. I must wonder why they produce these shows; the whole modus operandi seems to be, the participants say something stupid and the canned-laughter comes on. I do understand that the laughter-bit is for convenience- for the people that are not 'smart' enough to know what was just said was a "joke". And getting to your point: I worked on construction with the hillbillies, and I had to endure every moronic so-called 'sex joke' that their feeble minds could regurgitate. YES, sex is sometimes funny; stupidity never is.

PS - I don't find jokes that disparage others funny, unless it's about myself 😉 I do laugh at myself often.

@BrigittaCuadros I don't know whether I laugh at myself that often. Yes, I have a 'some what' sense of humour- but when I start thinking about myself, I often get depressed by all the moronic mistakes I have made. I could use a vacation- about three months long, to chill out.

@Diogenes We all make mistakes. What we learn from them is what's most important of all. Those that don't make mistakes, never even try to live.

I guess it also brings up the question of what one considers sexual. Is it just 'pee pee' and 'hoo-ha' jokes? Or double entendre (like was so often in the Britcom 'Are You Being Served?'😉 and general word play? Jokes that may sound 'dirty' but actually aren't if you look at them literally.

Sex itself can be funny - just look at the various sounds that bodies make while in 'flagrante delicto'. A healthy sex life is both passionate, serious, silly, with both partners being free to laugh should something strike them as funny during the act. So why not have a joke about it?

Of course, some 'sex jokes' are just mean, sexist, and stupid; they aren't funny at all. It's those kind that I have a problem with

You hit the nail on the head. Some jokes are insightful. Some blather that 'inflicts' the 'product', cause me to wonder, "why". And "yes", sex can be funny.

I don't like "Jerry Seinfeld" humor. I think he's grossly overrated and I have no idea why he's as rich as he is.

A lot of men don't think with the head on their shoulders, but with the head in between their legs. It seems many men are just hardwired to think about sex. Kind of like how many male dogs will hump a leg, a tree or anything handy, because many males seem to just be hard wired (driven by animal instinct) that way. So, yeah it comes out in humor.

Personally, I dont' find most of it to be all that funny. Not all men think that way.

I think it's all about cultural conditioning. Americans have been overly propagandized to think that they are nothing more than their sexuality. I find most have no clue on how to maintain a platonic friendship with the opposite sex - and that speaks volumes.

I tend to seek out female comedians so I watch about as many women as men and I don't see that difference. Women can tell jokes as well as the men and they can be more effective with them.

gearl Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

I am in a private Facebook group where the idea is outrageous jokes, many of them sexual in nature. The women in the group get into it as much as the men. It seems it's liberating for everyone.

As above. What rubs me the wrong way is when people make jokes about the roles of women to be no more than barnyard breeding stock.

men are very insecure I think. I'm not so much anymore. it's a mans world rightly or wrongly but I know mentally woman are much stronger than men.as a school kid reaching puberty, a cleavage would give me a raging boner. some things don't change I guess. did you hear about the male stripper ran up to 2 old ladies on a bench and flashed them?
one had a stroke
and the other one couldn't reach.

Okay, by me; that is funny- whether some people like it or not. Some sex jokes are funny- whereas moronic,so-called jokes never are. And all the up-tight 'missionaries', secular or religious, that are on a crusade, need to get a life.

I completely agree

Well, men & women are definitely different & approach EVERYTHING differently. Men are surely a bit more "childish", so to speak, on this subject, &, unless this has been disproven, too, have sex on their minds most of the time. Men & women have a totally different sense of humor, & on this subject more than most. Here's one take...
[scientificamerican.com]

A joke is either funny or not. Some are in bad taste and many ridicule the misfortune of others.

I don't agree with your assertion that 99% are authored by men, as many female comics are as sexually provocative as the men I see on the comedy circuits.

Perhaps your view is slightly skewed by the fact that stand-up is still very much a male dominated area of entertainment - but there are some superb female comics coming through at the minute and it's high time the industry reflected this.

And I disagree with your assertion that it is a male thing too. I work in a predominantly female workplace and a substantial amount of the humour is sexual in content.

It's fine that you don't appreciate the jokes, but trying to tie down a "reason" why other people do is like trying to understand why people don't like your favorite meal. It doesn't matter! Live and let live!

Not all men like sexually suggestive jokes, and not all women are appalled by them.

You'll find that we have sexual jokes here both from men and women. Ignore those posts if they bother you.

Yep

Are you so certain that men find it funny?

It's nothing new. It's been going on for as long as humans have been communicating.
Some people's humor never advances past that of a 9 year old.
Humor is one of those highly subjective things. We're not all going to find the same
things funny.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.