Agnostic.com

28 5

How do feel about camping?

I am not huge on camping in that I am a bit squeamish about roughing it with bugs and critters that slither. However, a nice clean cabin is what I prefer. I’ve been tent camping and well, NO. I love nature’s scenary and definitely have an appreciation for it, I just don’t have the temperance to sleep in it via tent. I love a campfire and the time of day when the sun is low but still golden. The quiet natural noises of camping I find peaceful as well. Especially the song of birds.

How do you feel about camping?

MyLiege 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love it for a couple of nights, there so many beautiful spots round here. The good thing about camping in New Zealand is there is no bears, mountain lions, dingos to steal your baby, alligators, crocodiles, snakes, poisonous spiders, killer ants or any other kind of killer creature. Maybe just a few cheeky local parrots trying to steal your food or a possum or two.
Perfection.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place .I hope to visit there some day

@Sacha that sounds ideal!

The more primitive the better!

skado Level 9 Jan 11, 2018

Except it gets tiring real fast hauling water

@Countrywoman That is why you take a water purifier.

I love camping!! There are many various and sundry camping opportunities in the Badger State. Camping in Door County, the peninsula that juts out into Lake Michigan, is one of my favorites. So is camping in the "north woods," such as Chequamegon Nat'l Park. Devil's Lake State Park is one of the most popular camping locations in the state, and Blue Mounds State Park is also a favorite, with Cave of the Mounds nearby. One year, camping at Blue Mounds, the fireflies were so thick that looking into the forest after dark looked like a glitter storm!!

Tent camping is the only way to go. I've done cabins before, but you don't hear many of the fainter sounds, you don't feel the air, it doesn't smell the same, and you can't hike a cabin deep into the woods or onto an island at the Willow Flowage.

I will never forget the time, camping at Peninsula State Park in Door County, when I occupied a campsite very close the shoreline of Green Bay. There was a wicked thunderstorm that night -- it was AWESOME!! The next morning, just outside the screen door, I saw something hop by. I thought, "Cool!! A jumping spider. A big one, too!!" Then I saw another. And another. And a couple more. Something's not right -- it's not unusual to see a jumping spider, but not several at once.

Stepping outside, I realized what was happening. Migrating from the waters in Green Bay, traveling directly through the campsite, and scattering into the woods were millions of toads!! I was witnessing something I had never seen before, and may never see again. I called it a "Stampeding Herd Of Toads." I took a video, but it's very difficult to make out individual toads -- it just looks like the ground is bristling.

Absolutely one of the coolest things I've ever experienced camping.

My companion on this particular camping trip was able to snatch up one, single toad so I could get a photo of that. This was the size of those little buggers.

I think I would have wigged out!

@MyLiege OH, but it was so cool!! How often do you get to see a migration of amphibians out of the water into their adult habitat? They had probably finished morphing from tadpoles only a day or two before. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

How Awesome! One of the best times of my life was renting scooters on Washington Island, Door County and riding around the island for hours. Beautiful place but too many people on the peninsula.

Have camped in sleeping bags/no tents, tents, lean-tos, shelters and campers. Will camp in whatever is available.

I love to camp in my travel trailer and tent campings not to bad as long as the weather is good.

It's simply fabulous, sweety! (That sounds better in my head, read in a very camp voice 🙂 )

I love it, despite the fact that I have a mortal fear of centipedes and one always manages to get into the tent. I spent nearly two years living in a tent when I was younger, wandering around the country meeting eccentric people, doing a bit of work on farms and surviving on whatever food I could find.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

@Jnei you are brave!

I prefer glamping with all the conveniences of indoor plumbing. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

Exactly.

@MyLiege

👍

Love to go camping here in Oregon. Go east for mountains, and west for seaside. One concession we made was to get a tent big enough to hold our cots, with foam pads. Getting up off the ground just doesn't work. Like the sound of the surf at camp sites at the ocean, and like the quiet in the mountains. In the mountains, mostly at a lake, or along a steam. Also love the sky at night. Here in town too much light to see stars well. A chance to get out in nature.

I used to take my kids camping when they were younger. I love nature.

I LOVE camping! I prefer a tent, unless the weather is extreme. As I keep bugs and critters as pets, they don't worry me. I hate itchy bug bites though, especially from fire ants!

Zster Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

Fire ants itch? I thought it felt like fire hence the name.

Burn at first then itch agonizingly once the immune response kicks in the next day.

It’s fun.

I’ve spend a lot of nights sleeping outdoors in my life. I’m a real fan of porcelain and a good roof.

I am pretty much into van camping. If I had to I could get used to a tent but I do like to have a shelter off the ground

Used to rough it myself. A sleeping bag on the ground when I was inexperienced (mosquitos suck). That evolved into tent camping with the Boy scouts (The troop number was 60...but we referred to ourselves as Troop 666). Now? At 50? I'll camp in an armored, and fully self sustaining RV. Don't need tv...just classical music and conspiracy theory radio (laugh-riot!)

No camping for me. My idea of "roughing it" is no room service.

@KkGator yes indeed!

I enjoy camping but, like you, prefer a cabin experience. I've done the tent and sleeping bag thing, but it was always a bit uncomfortable. I enjoy casual camping, hiking, etc. I don't want to sink my life savings into it, just enjoy relaxing in the woods, wandering around, being alone.

I like it. I haven't been in ages, but am planning a trip this spring. I'm excited!

It is a pleasure to go camping. I do not like to sleep on the ground so I had a mattress made of four inch foam encased in a canvas material to place in the back of the Blazer. It is very comfortable and I sleep just fine. I like to cook with Dutch ovens or on steel camping /cooking devices that I built. It is very much fun to be around a camp fire doing whatever you want to do, Our normal camping sites are in the Ozark National Forrest where there are very few other people.

Don't like it anymore, was fun as a kid, but now I prefer comfort. I'm good with a cabin in a remote location. I had 96 acres in Northern CA with a 34' Airstream and a cabin that I used as a weekend place. I sold it and have no regrets.

I started a new group about camping.. looking for people to join. 🙂

I own 35 acres with a view of Mesa Verde that could stop your heart. I use it for off the grid camping. The 4 corners is one of the least populated areas in the lower 48. I like it that way. I am far more afraid of the human element especially the male of the species & the isolation reduces my fear. The rattle snake I saw merely moved into its den upon smelling me. The little lizards no longer run from me. Mosquitos are less due to the arid conditions. Owls fly thru my camp site at night. Cooper's hawk during the day. Fox & turkeys & elk & mule deer.

Haha I used to freak out about that kind of stuff because I was convinced someone was going to kill me on my sleep, but it’d be nice.

Depends on how you define camping. There is the tough kind where you are luck if you have a tent. I am not sleeping out on the ground with the snakes. I hate snakes. If it was one of those nice cozy zip up tents where you can be all warm and cozy with that special someone. Then there is the camper types. They come looking normal to outrageously elegant. Some you attach to your truck and go. Some have the vehicle all in one with the camper. Those are really fun too. I guess if it were the right person, I would like a cozy zip up tent filled with warmth, a little food, and a lot of love.

Cabins can be creepier than tents, I stayed in one once with an ex and had constant anxiety that some psycho was out in the woods but while camping in a tent when it was warmer out I didn't have that feeling, perhaps because I could hear the world around me better. The cabin locked and was between the lake docks and the entrance road but I did not feel as safe as I would in my own home or in a less secure tent(again probably because I feel I can hear if something was coming and I am a light sleeper).

As for the bugs and icky nature part of tent camping, my tent has the multiple zippers and netting to keep insects out, plus I lay a tarp beneath the tent where it'll sit so it's not as easy for an insect to get directly to the tent, though always put something else out the portal before your head or you may get a face full of spider web.

Otherwise I like camping and am planning a road trip out to California from Missouri and thought camping would be the cheapest way to go but apparently out there campsites are like motel rooms, you reserve one, check in, check out, and most ridiculously you pay per night. I get the reason that they charge in order to have funds for the parks but last I knew here in Missouri(could be Kansas) to camp legally you just pay an annual camping fee and then you can use any unoccupied campsite at any state park. So from that I do think camping is no longer what it used to be either...

Got myself a campervan a few years ago, and I love it. No sleeping on the ground. Cook with a propane rig, read lots, fall asleep at the fire... This past autumn was exceptionally nice, so I got out even more often than usual. But like most here, after a few nights I crave proper showers and clean toilets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14379
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.