Agnostic.com

14 1

Have you given big donations to a church?

I was young and foolish at the time. I let the preacher work me down about his need for contributions to build an additional church along side the one we are in. I can still see that day when I wrote that check and give it to him. For 3 weeks he kept staring at me while preaching about this. I was a sucker... I can just spit right now.

BucketlistBob 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not give to religious or church groups...I only donate to a few charities like The Southern Proverty Law Ctr and real people who are in real need.

Cool...

No.

In my relationship that just ended in October, we gave, from our joint account, $100 EVERY WEEK to his church. Sigh.......

(3 1/2 years ago I thought I could overlook our differences and that the good would outweigh the bad. There was a ton of good, but ultimately we were a square peg and a round hole.)

Never.

Rina Level 2 Jan 11, 2018

No. I do give, especially at the "holidays" to 2 "local" orgs (tho I think they are possibly national)...St. Vincent de Paul & St. Mary's Food Bank. They do help feed, clothe & shelter folks who need it, w/out the "pushing" of religion. I will also give to local secular groups to this end, but if a group is effective, & happens to have religious "leanings", I won't automatically refuse.

Never.

Never!
Never will!
Why would you or anyone pay some one to tell you are going to hell!
When you could spent the money to go to the tropics to get and keep warm!! LOL!

I wouldn’t give them a dime ,but I went to catholic school and my parents gave more than they should have

Hell no! I used to take the collection money, skip mass, and go to breakfast. Always thought it was better spent that way.

Was put to better use!

As an adult, never. Early on in my career I was lucky enough to work with or for various churches and religious organizations ( legal/ immigration related) and saw the mind boggling sums of money they were turning over every year. This really opened my eyes to how much of a business religion is.

I do give one large donation to my church

I don't even give small donations to a church of any kind. There are plenty of secular organizations who need what I have to donate.

I made a couple of fairly large donations towards the construction of our new synagogue - a synagogue is as much a place of learning and a community centre as a place of worship, so I was more than happy to show support.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

Yep. 10% like clockwork, plus more for special offerings, all while volunteering all day/night Sundays, and three evenings during each work week. That's why it stung SO badly when they defsulted on a loan that they convinced me to cosign on. All the bank wanted was $1000. I paid ten times that. They certainly had the money!

Zster Level 8 Jan 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.