Agnostic.com

17 14

If your religion teaches you not to question...

silvereyes 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was brought up in a church where the first sin was knowledge.

It's all about teaching obedience.

@silvereyes Roll over lol

Questions I can't answer > answers I can't question.

Then you are a slave to that religion

I was kicked out of Church youth school. For asking too many questions.

Once there was a story about the bald headed priest. Where the children laughed at the bald head of the Priest..Then the Priest ask God to punish the children.
God sent a big Bear to shread the children to death . I laughed out loud from the insanity of the story, then finally was kicked out for good.

And, when religion teaches people not to question, it is also making them vulnerable to political demagogues and ideologues -- who also do not want people to question, but to outright "buy the company line." What do you think that we are seeing a linkage between evangelical Christianity, today's Republican politicians, and the ethnocentric and racist right?

I was united Methodist, and they said it was good to ask questions to build your faith, then gave just so answers and other incomprehensible to human understanding mumbo jumbo

I like this one.

I knew Buddhism was for me when I read the Buddha was purported to have said (paraphrased):

"Don't believe anything just because
-holy books say so
-tradition of many generations says so
-you teacher says so
-'common sense' says so
-it agrees with your opinion
-etc. (there's 10 things)
...but ONLY AFTER you have examined it for yourself and tested it and found it conducive to the good of one and all."

I was a teenager when I first encountered this quote and it blew my mind wide open. Once I knew there was an ancient system of questioning everything, I knew I could never go back.

Question, Question. But they don't have good answers. Just blindly accept it on faith. Faith in an imaginary god.

That’s how they stay in business

Nods head in agreement while opening a cold beer 🙂

Sacha Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

I have never had the want or need to belong to any religion. As for teaching me not to question, I would ask, what part of the word 'freethinker' do you not understand?

Yes it most certainly is. I just did some research and found out Jews don't expect to go to heaven. I never knew this to now. Anyone else?

Really? If not heaven, then... hell???

There's quite a good article on Jewish afterlife (or lack thereof) here - [jewfaq.org]. As ever, there are more Jewish opinions on it than there are Jews!

@silvereyes I think it depends on what the person you're talking to happens to think at that particular time, too. You know the old saying - "two Jews, three opinions"? In my experience, you can get at least five or six contradictory opinions from just one of us!

Very true Silver.... I wish I could of changed a long time ago.

No shit Sherlock...

@silvereyes I know, poor fools...believing that there is a man sitting in the sky on a easy chair taking notes of our acts...SMH

Very true.

Betty Level 8 Jan 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.