Agnostic.com

12 1

When others question their faith...

Have you even been in a situation where someone you know is questioning their faith? A friend of mine lost her dad several years ago and at that time, despite being an active church goer, she decided to confide in me that she couldn't understand why God would let him die. She knew I was an atheist. I felt that like it would be wrong of me to take advantage of her at this low point (take note churches) and just let her comment pass. Anyone have a similar situation?

AlbaTaylor 4 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had friends come to me expressing a crisis of faith, and my response depends on their frame of mind. Sometimes, they're merely looking for a sympathetic ear. Other times they know my views and are looking for more of that perspective. I think in a situation like you described, I would provide a bit of my perspective without saying it should also be her perspective, so there's no intent to persuade, but I'd do my best to explain how I manage to find comfort in such painful situations and hope that helps her find some measure of peace.

Meet them where they are at. That is the kindest thing you cN do

Thank you for all the comments. Just to clarify this happen years ago. Yes I gave her what comfort I could but ultimately didn't add to her thoughts about God. As many have stated, I felt it would have been me taking advantage of her anger that comes with the grief of losing a love one.

I agree to be a support for the person and if they want to know more they would discuss it further.

I don't want to be around Flim-Flam.

Yes..a friend only yesterday messaged me regarding the fact that I had as usual liked and positively commented on the AGN add on FB.

He asked me if I was now involved with a cult..lol I nearly fell off the sofa laughing..

I answered him with a comprehensive explanation of who and what we are..almost the diametric opposite of a cult or religion...we are the silent legion of the adsence of religious belief...simple as...I did not try to convince him to join..or attempt to convert him or to pursuade him to embrace Athiesm .. I just told him AG is a whole lot of fun.

I would just listen and not tell her what to do. The best thing you can be to someone who's grieving is a caring friend.

It is never inappropriate to express an honest opinion.

In a situation like this I tend to tell the tale of a Zen Buddhist priest who was a friend to a family. They asked him to write a blessing. He wrote ;
Grandfather dies
Father dies
Son dies.
Rather perturbed at this "blessing" They asked him to explain himself. He said "Take a closer look.;
Grandfather dies
Father dies
Son dies.
All in the right order no tragedies just the natural way it should be. There can be no greater blessing than that".

It's not taking advantage if the other person starts the conversation. Encourage them to keep questioning. Bring up logical points. Use any opportunity to have the conversation.

I have.
I would never try try to push my non-beliefs on any one. But instead I will offer how I deal with situations like that.
And try to be as supportive as much as I can.
But I've also had some friends that were on the fence, and asked me questions. Then I will gladly share about my life as a non-believer. Sometimes planting seeds and letting them think works a lot better that flat out tell them that god and such is BS.

It would not be taking advantage if she led the conversation. Don’t preach. Discuss

jab60 Level 6 July 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:144237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.